Orbit Questions

Penny Golden

I've changed the subject line a bit.
What I like about the Orbit so far is the price. I do not own one, but I own very expensive HIMS notetaking devices. I love them, but if they go down, I'm sunk.  Last year I would love to have gotten a few cells replaced on my 32-cell u2 device.  Nope; they couldn't do it; they wanted 2100 dollars to replace the entire braille display.
That's four orbits, in case you're keeping score.
I don't own an orbit yet.  I'm considering it.   It would be nice, first, to just be able to hold an orbit and work with it for 5 or 15 minutes.
My understanding is that it will open whatever file you have and that is what you see.  if you have a text file, it does not translate it into braille, as we are so used to with our HIMS or braille-note type devices.
There is no speech either, isn't that right?   And there's no flash memory, to store things. it's all done on an SD card, right?
Someone with an Orbit or with knowledge of it, perhaps you will chime in and help me a little.
If my inquiry is beyond the scope of what is desired on the list, I'll gladly move it into a private discussion.
all best,
Penny
pengold2@...
the old lady schoolmarm from Eastern Nebraska.

On 11/16/2018 8:27 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
yes i agree. get the orbit reader20 for $449. It has 8-dot braille, connects to NVDA and jaws, and voiceover, and brailleback, 6-key perkins keyboard, panning buttons arrows and select buttons plus dots 7 and 8 keys left and right of the space bar. and it has a very basic noteTaker. the notetaker lets you write directly into brl brf or txt files in ascii or raw braille. this means you just open your notes, and write whatever braille code you wish whether its english, greek, or japanese, math, or music braille. It's a nice simple display for reading, writing and using with your pc or mac or mobile device. according to a master's thesis i got off the internet, it most likely uses very rugged and reliable micro-vibration cell-phone motors to make the dots go up and down. the braille me uses braille cells that are magnetic, magnetic force makes its braille cells work. but orbit reader20 has the most reliable braille cells though.

Joe Giovanelli

Hi, Penny,

You have the right slant on the Orbit reader. When set to its Stand Alone operation, the device is a simple word processor. It reads .txt, .brl a nd.brf documents.

In its Remote Mode, it can be connected to devices either via a USB cable or bluetooth. Information on the connected device is shown on the Orbit's display.

I only use the Orbit reader in Stand Alone.

The Braille is excellent. I thought I'd have difficulty with no speech and a 20 cell display, but I have had no problems at all.

I use the device to keep wear and tear to a minimum on my U2. HIMS charges too much for most repairs.

To sum up, I really enjoy my Orbit reader. Once you understand how to work with its Editor, I think You'll love it as well.

Joe Giovanelli

pengold2@gmail.com
[...]

Joe, you and I go back to dos days.  How I remember with great fondness hearing you and the other old Apple folks chime in on the best ways to do things.
Thanks for the info on the Orbit.   I tend to use my units as stand-alone, and don't pair them with anything useful except the reading-fingers. (Smiles.)
I have approximately 7000 books from bookshare. Does the Orbit allow for folders of books, let's say, by subject?
So all my history textbooks could be in a folder. when the folder is opened, the books would show up in alphabetical order?
So just how does that SD card operate?  What sorts of limits are there to it?
Thanks so much.
Best,
Penny (Golden)
pengold2@gmail.com

On 11/16/2018 10:49 AM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
[...]

Hi again,

I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.

There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.

Book Share books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.

Joe G.

[...]

While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes, BAUD and I were old friends.
But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have built an apple II E.
Best, Penny

Thanks. Penny

On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Yes; I go back to the dos days, too. The best braille device I like is the braille lite. It's so simple, and it has nothing to do with windows, which only complicates things. I have had times, using the braille sense, where I have forgotten to save what I was working on, acting like I was using a braille lite; only to have to try to do it all over again. Yes, I know you save in dos, too; but the braille lite did it for you. Pam.Pam.

[...]

John Dowling <1008jmd@...>

I believe the orbit can receive brf files.

While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes,
BAUD and I were old friends.
But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have
built an apple II E.
Best, Penny

Thanks. Penny

On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.
>
> There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.
>
> Book Share books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.
>
> Joe G.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Just to clear up disinformation, Bookshare books do come in Audio, but it is computer generated speech. Also, they do come in .brf files so you can read them on an orbit if you want.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gary Greico

Yes it can.

On 16-Nov-18 7:21 PM, John Dowling wrote:
I believe the orbit can receive brf files.

While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes,
BAUD and I were old friends.
But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have
built an apple II E.
Best, Penny

Thanks. Penny

On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.
>
> There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.
>
> Book Share books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.
>
> Joe G.

Gene

I don't use the Orbit, but the extension used doesn't require firing retro rockets.  You can stay in Orbit by changing the extension on your computer using the rename utility, f2 being the shortcut key.  I don't know if the Orbit cares which of the two extensions are used but if it does, you can change the extension on the file.

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 5:57 PM

While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes,
BAUD and I were old friends.
But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have
built an apple II E.
Best, Penny

Thanks. Penny

On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
>   Hi again,
>
> I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.
>
> There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.
>
> Book Share  books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.
>
> Joe G.

Aman Singer

Hi Penny,

I see that orbit owners are answering your questions, and as a potential user, I appreciate their doing that on the list. If I may say so, though, it might be worth keeping in mind that there is a return policy for the Orbit. You can get one shipped to you and use it for a few days, rather than a few minutes, and then decide whether it is suitable. With these products, I’m pleased to say, that is the usual thing and, given the prices, it is the reasonable thing. The cost of shipping can be chalked up to research, after all, to see the product for fifteen minutes, assuming it were a normal product with a local dealer, you would have to take the time and transport cost to go and see it, and you wouldn’t be able to really know how it fits into your workflow.

Aman

[...]

Yes, Orbit Reader knows BRF.

Joe G.

[...]

I said before that you can just change the extensions.  But on thinking about it, that was an assumption.  Are there any differences between brf and brl other than the extension?  I have always assumed not but then, why are there two extensions?

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 8:10 PM

Yes, Orbit Reader knows BRF.

Joe G.

> While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
> the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes,
> BAUD and I were old friends.
> But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have
> built an apple II E.
> Best, Penny
>
> Thanks. Penny
>
> On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
> >   Hi again,
> >
> > I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.
> >
> > There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.
> >
> > Book Share  books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.
> >
> > Joe G.

It seems to me that one of the extensions, brf or brl, does a little more formatting than the other.  Just out of curiosity, can you rename a file on the ORBIT?
Aman suggested I get an Orbit to look at; well, I'm not in a particular rush; so I figured that if I waited long enough, I'd run into a fellow blind reader or dealer in such things and see for myself. I think it is a great low-cost solution for those of us who need our braille displays, but who might have to send an expensive one away for awhile.
Pen
pengold2@...

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 8:10 PM

Yes, Orbit Reader knows BRF.

Joe G.

> While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
> the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes,
> BAUD and I were old friends.
> But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have
> built an apple II E.
> Best, Penny
>
> Thanks. Penny
>
> On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
> >   Hi again,
> >
> > I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.
> >
> > There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.
> >
> > Book Share  books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.
> >
> > Joe G.

A BRF file is a formatted one, brl is just like a txt file.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gary Greico

I'm hearing that brf i

s formatted braille.

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 8:10 PM

Yes, Orbit Reader knows BRF.

Joe G.

> While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
> the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes,
> BAUD and I were old friends.
> But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have
> built an apple II E.
> Best, Penny
>
> Thanks. Penny
>
> On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
> >   Hi again,
> >
> > I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.
> >
> > There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.
> >
> > Book Share  books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.
> >
> > Joe G.

john s

From the user guide:

Supported File Types

Extension

Type

Explanation

 BRF

 Translated, formatted braille

 displays exact representation

 BRL

 Translated, unformatted braille

 displays all text

 TXT

 Text

 displays eight-dot Computer Braille

In addition to the supported file types, Orbit Reader shows the contents of any file. Be aware, however, that some files do not contain readable content. This feature is useful, however, to examine files that do contain readable text even if it is not a supported file type.

There are several excellent braille translation systems available in the U.S. If you obtain textbooks from APH or get transcribed titles from NLS or NBP, the braille should be correct and formatted. You may also get braille translation software that produces automatically translated braille using programs like Liblouis or have Bookshare automatically generate braille files of the titles available.

At 07:25 AM 11/17/2018, Gary Greico, wrote:

I'm hearing that brf i

s formatted braille.

On 16-Nov-18 9:29 PM, Gene wrote:
I said before that you can just change the extensions.  But on thinking about it, that was an assumption.  Are there any differences between brf and brl other than the extension?  I have always assumed not but then, why are there two extensions?

> While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
> the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes,
> BAUD and I were old friends.
> But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have
> built an apple II E.
> Best, Penny
>
> Thanks. Penny
>
> On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
> >   Hi again,
> >
> > I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.
> >
> > There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.
> >
> > Book Share  books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.
> >
> > Joe G.

                 John

Angelo Sonnesso

You can rename a file in orbit with spacebar (1236)

73 N2DYN Angelo

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 8:10 PM

Yes, Orbit Reader knows BRF.

Joe G.

> While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
> the brf extension.  Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl?  Yes,
> BAUD and I were old friends.
> But I was never the user that you all were.  You could probably have
> built an apple II E.
> Best, Penny
>
> Thanks. Penny
>
> On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
> >   Hi again,
> >
> > I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.
> >
> > There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.
> >
> > Book Share  books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.
> >
> > Joe G.

You can rename a file on the Orbit Reader.

Joe G.

[...]

Josh Kennedy

I used my orbit last night connected to my computer to read some wikipedia articles in braille. and then I installed the free math player program and tried out the freedom scientific math ml examples website. and it was so cool that the orbit reader showed me the math in nemeth braille! now my question is this. is there a way for blind people to make math-ml content, in an accessible way, in other words for us to make our own math-ml content for printing or sending to a teacher?
and it did not matter if my braille tables for NVDA were set to grade2 ueb, it still showed me nemeth math braille.
Josh