exFat to NTFS What are the benefits?

Walter Ramage

Hi folks.  I've just recently purchased a Western Digital 16tb external drive (2x8tb).  The format is ExFat and I did intend changing it to NTFS but as I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of either system is it worth the effort to convert.  What is the difference between the two and which is most recommended?  Also, how long does it take to convert a 16tb drive?  The drive is empty by the way, I've not had time to put anything on it.  All help appreciated.  Walter.

How are you going to use the drive?  I used to know more about the comparisons of formats but I haven't read about it for two or three years or more.  I believe that NTFS is not compatible with certain operating systems such as Linux, (spelling.)  It may be now with Apple but I don't think it was for a time.  But I think the main reason external drives may not be formatted in NTFS is for the widest possible compatibility.

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 4:50 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] exFat to NTFS What are the benefits?

Hi folks.  I've just recently purchased a Western Digital 16tb external drive (2x8tb).  The format is ExFat and I did intend changing it to NTFS but as I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of either system is it worth the effort to convert.  What is the difference between the two and which is most recommended?  Also, how long does it take to convert a 16tb drive?  The drive is empty by the way, I've not had time to put anything on it.  All help appreciated.  Walter.

Walter Ramage

Hi.  the drive will be used entirely for media files i.e. mp3, .wav, .flac, .avi etc.  Walter

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 4:50 PM

Hi folks.  I've just recently purchased a Western Digital 16tb external drive (2x8tb).  The format is ExFat and I did intend changing it to NTFS but as I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of either system is it worth the effort to convert.  What is the difference between the two and which is most recommended?  Also, how long does it take to convert a 16tb drive?  The drive is empty by the way, I've not had time to put anything on it.  All help appreciated.  Walter.

This forum appears to have good information and links to an article that I suspect is reliable, though I haven't looked at it or anything else at all recently on the subject.

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 5:04 PM

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 4:50 PM

Hi folks.  I've just recently purchased a Western Digital 16tb external drive (2x8tb).  The format is ExFat and I did intend changing it to NTFS but as I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of either system is it worth the effort to convert.  What is the difference between the two and which is most recommended?  Also, how long does it take to convert a 16tb drive?  The drive is empty by the way, I've not had time to put anything on it.  All help appreciated.  Walter.

Here is another good article.

It doesn't discuss a problem I read about years ago.  I don't know if it still is a problem.  After all this time, my memory may not be completely correct so I hope others comment on this.

As I recall the problem, it used to be that if you formatted a drive using Windows, as NTFS, it would read and write much more slowly than it should have because the segments, if that is the correct word, were too small, thus breaking data up into smaller pieces.  You could get around that by specifying a larger size.  I hope others comment on that.

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 5:04 PM

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 4:50 PM

Hi folks.  I've just recently purchased a Western Digital 16tb external drive (2x8tb).  The format is ExFat and I did intend changing it to NTFS but as I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of either system is it worth the effort to convert.  What is the difference between the two and which is most recommended?  Also, how long does it take to convert a 16tb drive?  The drive is empty by the way, I've not had time to put anything on it.  All help appreciated.  Walter.

Walter Ramage

Hi.  I've done a little research and the below link will take you to a blog that gives a good description of differences and their applications.  From what I can gather, ExFat is probably the best option.  It would appear that NTFS is really a windows baby and ExFat is more generic.  The link is below.  Walter.

https://www.ilicomm.com/whats-the-difference-between-fat32-exfat-and-ntfs/

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 4:50 PM

Hi folks.  I've just recently purchased a Western Digital 16tb external drive (2x8tb).  The format is ExFat and I did intend changing it to NTFS but as I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of either system is it worth the effort to convert.  What is the difference between the two and which is most recommended?  Also, how long does it take to convert a 16tb drive?  The drive is empty by the way, I've not had time to put anything on it.  All help appreciated.  Walter.

Tristan Bussiere

I would highly advise against using ExFAT. exFAT has no file
system-level encryption or compression support, and, like other FAT
filesystems before it, there is no journaling built in. The lack of
journaling means that there will be a much higher risk of data loss in
the event of power loss or unexpected events.

I've lost data twice on ExFAT drives. Since NTFS is journaled, it
means that the filesystem will attempt to repair itself. The only true
benefit of ExFat in this situation is that ExFat works across both
Windows and macOS, although non-Windows operating systems do have
drivers like Paragon that you can install to read NTFS.

ExFat is designed to be lightweight and fast; something optimal for
flash drives, not full-blown hard drives. There's more overhead with
NTFS but the performance hit is negligible compared to the benefits of
journaling.

On 12/7/18, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io <wpr=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

gn=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Virus-free.