Kapsys SmartVision 2 cell phone

Fanus

Hello List
Does anyone use this phone? Is the button keyboard a qwerty keyboard? It is quite expensive, so is it worth while?
Regards
Fanus

Fanus, whether or not the asking price for Capsys phone is worth its price
depends on how much you're willing to pay for it. If you're happy with a
touchscreen device in the mainstream market, keep running with it. However,
if using a smartphone is important to you and you need one that comes with a
tactile keypad, then Samsung Folder2 and Blackberry's KeyOne, both in the
mainstream market, may be worth looking at. They are certainly far more
cheaper than the Capsys phone and getting tech support if necessary could be
a tad easier since these devices are in the mainstream.

I've never played ball with any of these devices 'cause I prefer touchscreen
devices and have a few of them that I throw against the wall for fun time
and time again, yikes, silly me! I will only settle for the likes of Capsys
if I can't seem to find anything in the mainstream market that does what I
am trying to accomplish with ease even if there's a slight learning curve.
Good luck on the decision-making process and all the very best!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Carolyn Arnold

The ones Olusegun mentioned are more up to date too.

Once I finally got used to a touch screen, I would not want
a phone with buttons. They seem clumsy now and like they
don't react as quickly as the touch pad and text fields on a
touch screen. We all have different wants and needs.

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

Victor

It’s good to know that there are android phones that have physical keyboards. It’s good to know that these phones are main stream. I don’t think there’s any need to go with a phone made for the visually impaired if you can get one from a mainstream company. Chances are, you’ll be better off in the long run. Give yourself a chance to learn how to use a phone with a touchscreen. That may be the only choice any of us will have an a few years. I don’t know how long phones with physical keyboard will be around.

Victor

On Dec 10, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

[...]

Gene

I don't think the slower reaction has anything to do with buttons versus touch screen.  Buttons are usually on feature phones, not smart phones.  Feature phones have much slower processors than smart phones.  Pushing a button completes a circuit.  There should be no difference between that and however touch screens cause the equivalent.

I'm not sure just what you are referring to by clumsiness but the speed issue is not related to buttons.  After all, every key on a computer keyboard is actually the equivalent of a button on a phone.  They are all switches.

Gene.

It’s good to know that there are android phones that have physical keyboards. It’s good to know that these phones are main stream. I don’t think there’s any need to go with a phone made for the visually impaired if you can get one from a mainstream company. Chances are, you’ll be better off in the long run. Give yourself a chance to learn how to use a phone with a touchscreen. That may be the only choice any of us will have an a few years. I don’t know how long phones with physical keyboard will be around.

Victor
> On Dec 10, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...> wrote:
>
> The ones Olusegun mentioned are more up to date too.
>
> Once I finally got used to a touch screen, I would not want
> a phone with buttons. They seem clumsy now and like they
> don't react as quickly as the touch pad and text fields on a
> touch screen. We all have different wants and needs.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold

I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

The buttons were on my Folder 2. It could be that I needed the thing to talk long enough for me to get used to it.

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

Victor, I may be wrong on this, but I think that Blackberry came out first
with phones that have keypads. If memory serves, there seem to be two such
phones from Blackberry. I don't believe these phone offerings have too much
traction even in the mainstream. Far too often, they are available for sale
at giveaway prices.

I do understand why many folks may want a toy with a keypad; I never thought
I would part with my Nokia N86--remember that one? It was for me the best
toy I thought I ever had. Oh well, no tutorials, no teachers, no show &
tell; I grabbed a Samsung toy, it fitted snugly in my hands and my tinkering
fingers went to work. Four days later following procurement, I shocked
myself when I sent my first text message on a touchscreen toy.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Victor

You might be right about some of these phones with keypad is not gaining any traction. I think the cited world has embraced touch screens and they see no need for keypads. We blind people will eventually have to adapt to that as I don’t think adaptive phones will be around for very long. Phones with physical keyboard will soon be a thing of the past. If you want that kind of phone, you will probably have to resort to eBay or some other auction site. Even then, that phone might not be compatible with your carrier. Sometimes we just have to do the work, break a sweat and learn new things. Whether it’s android or iOS, people can learn to use the touchscreens. Blind people should not be afraid of them.

Victor

On Dec 10, 2018, at 7:26 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. <ukekearuaro@valtdnet.com> wrote:

[...]

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Carolyn & List:

In UUSA, ask your friend to phone (800) MOT-OROLA (800) 668-6752. That is Motorola. They sell mail order or can recommend a local dealer.
Brian K. Lingard

I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
Best regards,
Carolyn

Famous, whether or not the asking price for Kapsys phone is worth its
[...]

Gerald Levy

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

Does it have talking caller ID?  I doubt it.

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:29 AM

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the
Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store
Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
> I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

Gerald Levy

There is an old saying that you can't have your cake and eat it, too.  To my knowledge, the Jitterbug phone does not have talking caller ID.  But this is a minor drawback compared to the advantages of a phone with a large, tactile keypad that is designed for seniors with desterity problems that make it difficult for them to use standard touchscreen cell phones. Besides, this individual does not sound like someone who is tech savvy and would be comfortable purchasing a cell phone sight unseen online, if she is even computer literate, in the first place, which the majority of blind and visually impaired seniors are most definitely not.  If she could not find a suitable phone at a Walmart or Verizonstore, then her best bet would be to check out the Jitterbug phone at a Best Buy store.

Gerald

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:29 AM

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the
Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store
Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
> I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Gene & List:

Do Jitterbug cell phones offer Speech output?

Brian K. Lingard

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:29 AM

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the
Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store
Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
> I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

Gerald Levy

No, I don't think Jitterbug phones offer speech output.  But they are designed to be "ssenior friendly", wwith large, tactile buttons and other features designed to appeal to seniors or others who are not tech savvy or do not want a traditional touchscreen smart phone.

https://www.greatcall.com/phones

Gerald

On 12/11/2018 7:01 AM, Brian K. Lingard wrote:

Dear Gene & List:

Do Jitterbug cell phones offer Speech output?

Brian K. Lingard

Does it have talking caller ID?  I doubt it.

Gene

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the
Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store
Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
> I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

Gene

Talking caller ID was a specific feature asked for, and these days, with constant robo calls, accessible caller ID, if needed, is a necessity.  When discussing or recommending a phone, if it doesn't have that feature, it is important to say that if you know it doesn't.

I don't know if an adequate phone can be found that has this feature and the other features asked for.

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:29 AM

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the
Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store
Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
> I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

Gene

Not from what I recall from what I've read.

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:01 AM

Dear Gene & List:

Do Jitterbug cell phones offer Speech output?

Brian K. Lingard

Does it have talking caller ID?  I doubt it.

Gene

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the
Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store
Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
> I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

Gene

They appeal to seniors who don't have enough vision loss to make the phone not properly accessible.  The question is, are there phones that serve those who are in that category?

Does it have talking caller ID?  I doubt it.

Gene

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the
Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store
Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
> I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

Gerald Levy

I am very skeptical about Kapsys, a relatively littel-known start-up company whose phones seem overpriced for what they offer.  Since their products are aimed at a small, niche market, their long-term viability isquestionable.  Remember Odin Mobiel, a similar company whose mission was to offer accessible, blind-friendly cell phones?  How did that work out? Where are they now?  How many blind consumers got stuck with their products?  Unfortunately, it may simply not be possible to find a basic, affordable cell phone that offers both a tactile keypad and talking caller ID.  But to me, it is important for someone who is not tech savvy to be able to handle a cell phone that he/she isinterested in before actually buying it.   Obviously, this is not possible with the Kapsys phones, which, at present, are not sold through major retailers like Target, Walmart,Best Buy or Costco. So if you shell out $900 for a Smart Visions 2 phone, and Kapsys goes belly up like Odin Mobile, you're totally screwed.

Gerald

On 12/11/2018 7:47 AM, Gene wrote:
They appeal to seniors who don't have enough vision loss to make the phone not properly accessible.  The question is, are there phones that serve those who are in that category?

Does it have talking caller ID?  I doubt it.

Gene

Tell your friend to visit a nearby Best Buy store and check out the
Jitterbug phone.  Jitterbug is now owned by Best Buy, and their in-store
Geek Squad technicians can help your friend get started.

Gerald

On 12/10/2018 8:46 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
> I have an elderly, partially-sighted friend. Her flip phone died, but she needs a replacement. She went to three Wal-Marts and could not find a flip phone that would announce a caller. I suggested that she go to a Verizon store, and she thought she might call Maxi-Aids and Independent Living. She just wants a phone to use as a phone strictly, doesn't even want texting. They told her at Wal-Mart that their only suggestion was an iPhone - like yeah, I'll bet they'd like to have five or six hundred dollars for that phone that would literally overwhelm my poor friend, who lives 1,200 miles from me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Carolyn

A slight correction.  Kapsys phones are sold through Irie-AT, a relatively unknown online company that sells products for the blind from other, relatively unknown companies.  They are certainly not as well-known in the blindness community as ILA, Maxi-Aids, AT Guys  and LS&S Products.  And although their Kapsys Smart Vision 2 phone may sound like the greatest invention since sliced bread, it is hard to justify spending $900 for a phone made by an obscure manufacturer that is sold by an equally obscure online  merchant who may or may not be around when you need help or tech support.  Caveat emptor.

Gerald