Microsoft does it again

Gene

I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

Gene

Gerald Levy

Yet another reason to avoid updating to Windows 10 as long as possible.  If your Windows 7 machine still does everything you need it to do, there is really no good reason to upgrade to Windows 10 unless your the type who enjoys aggravation.

Gerald

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

Gene

Ron Canazzi

Oh for the good old days of DOS 6.22.

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

An interesting thing about DOS 6.22 is that if you used Scandiskor defrag, they were designed to mimic Windows programs.  Alt opened menus in Scandisk, and in Defrag.  You could press letters in the menus to do things.  I don't recall enough details to discuss those the utilities further.  As I recall, Help was also designed to mimmick a Windows interface.

Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Microsoft does it again

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Steve Matzura

Trouble with that statement is you don't always get to say when those updates are applied.

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

Gene
_._,_._,_

Steve Matzura

You can't live in the dark ages forever. At some point,some program on which you rely for your daily online or computational existence will cease to function in Windows 7, or some bit of nastiness will get past your Windows 7-only defenses, and you'll wind up being asimilated into the Windows 10 collective. It happened to me in early 2017. I couldn't go back if I wanted to any more. Too many programs I require are now being supported and actively developed for Windows 10 only, and some just plain don't function correctly, if at all, on Windows 7 any more.

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

Gene
_._,_._,_

Gene

There are ways to delay them even for home users.  I won't go into them because others know a lot more about the subject.

Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 10:15 AM

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

Gene

Steve Matzura

Sheesh, another dark-ager.

https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.
They As

Gene

It depends what programs you use and, in part, on the precautions you take and on how you use your computer.

Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 10:22 AM

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

Gene

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

With All these messages I haven't seen what Microsoft has done again.  Has an update been bad since the first 1809 update?

On 12/8/2018 8:53 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

> Oh for the good old days of DOS 6.22.
>

> On 12/8/2018 6:22 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>>

>> Yet another reason to avoid updating to Windows 10 as long as
>> possible. If your Windows 7 machine still does everything you need
>> it to do, there is really no good reason to upgrade to Windows 10
>> unless your the type who enjoys aggravation.
>>

>> Gerald
>>

>> On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft
>>> until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10. If
>>> Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this
>>> caution may not be necessary but I think it is now. This is one
>>> more reason why.
>>> https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d
>>> I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found
>>> with updates but others may know. I'm also not sure if this caution
>>> should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with
>>> Windows 10.
>>> Gene
> --
> They As

Lynn White

And let's not forget that Microsoft is not going to support Windows 7 for much longer.

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.
They As

Gene

Please read the articles quoted below the one you replied to or look for the one from me that started the thread.  It is the first one from the bottom.

With All these messages I haven't seen what Microsoft has done again.  Has an update been bad since the first 1809 update?
On 12/8/2018 8:53 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

> Oh for the good old days of DOS 6.22.
>

> On 12/8/2018 6:22 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>>

>> Yet another reason to avoid updating to Windows 10 as long as
>> possible. If your Windows 7 machine still does everything you need
>> it to do, there is really no good reason to upgrade to Windows 10
>> unless your the type who enjoys aggravation.
>>

>> Gerald
>>

>> On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft
>>> until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10. If
>>> Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this
>>> caution may not be necessary but I think it is now. This is one
>>> more reason why.
>>> https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d
>>> I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found
>>> with updates but others may know. I'm also not sure if this caution
>>> should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with
>>> Windows 10.
>>> Gene
> --
> They As

Gene

It will be supported for about a year.

But, despite what you hear constantly, I see no reason to have to update under certain conditions until you can't do what you want for some reason.  I still use XP, though I have a Windows 7 machine and for certain things, I would use it online and not an XP machine.  I don't use an XP machine for any uses where I deal with personal information such as my Social Security number, my birthday, banking online, or anything else that might be used for identity or credit card theft.
I protect myself online.  I block scripts except on sites where they are necessary.  I keep programs updated such as Flash.

I follow the usual safety rules such as not opening attachments unless I know they are safe.  I suspect I am safer onlie than a lot of people using Windows 10 who don't follow good precautions.  There are things I have to use Windows 7 for such as Drop Box.  Also, XP doesn't stream HTML5 audio properly.

But my point is that if you are careful, I believe you can use old versions of Windows after support ends reasonably safely if you take precautions.  I wouldn't be without a Windows 7 machine but I do most of my activities using XP.

Others are free to disagree.

And let's not forget that Microsoft is not going to support Windows 7
for much longer.

On 12/8/2018 10:22 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
> Sheesh, another dark-ager.
>

> On 12/8/2018 8:53 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>
>> Oh for the good old days of DOS 6.22.
>>

>> On 12/8/2018 6:22 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>>>

>>> Yet another reason to avoid updating to Windows 10 as long as
>>> possible.  If your Windows 7 machine still does everything you need
>>> it to do, there is really no good reason to upgrade to Windows 10
>>> unless your the type who enjoys aggravation.
>>>

>>> Gerald

>> --
>> They As

Ron Canazzi

I was being facetious.  But one thing about DOS, you almost never heard it crashing your system to the point where technicians had to reformat/reinstall at a hefty price of $100 or more.

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.
They As

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Lenron

Guess I have been lucky because I have no issues here.

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft
until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If
Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again,
this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is
one more reason why.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d

I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found
with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this
caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used
with Windows 10.
They As

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

heather albright

So how does one block updates? I am running the home version of 10 and still running 1803! I do not need any blue screens! Thanks Heather

e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
An Accessible Online Library:
www.bookshare.org

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:

I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10.  If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now.  This is one more reason why.

I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know.  I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.

Gene

Pamela Dominguez

That's right. I never had anywhere near the problems with dos that I have had with windows. Pam.

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10. If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now. This is one more reason why.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know. I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.
They As

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Jack And Becky <jack@...>

Oh my LORD yes! One of the best deaf guy machines I every had, was a laptop running DOS with an 80 cell power braille. You could do what you needed to do and GET OFF of there! It was simple easy straight forward to and point and more times than NOT WORKED! Keep in mind guys The latest and greatest is seldom also the best because we live in a an age when companies don't even bother to adiquately beta test there software and so on so forth
rant rant Grin

Happy Sunday all!
Jack And BECKY
Sent, from our i fingers :-)

-----Original Message----- From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 7:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10. If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now. This is one more reason why.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know. I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.
They As

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Marie <scribbles5@...>

The big difference here is what we now do with our computers versus what we could do back when.
And the number of software programs available was so limited they had plenty of time to beta test, if there even was a public beta then.
So, I guess what I am saying is you are not comparing apples to apples and it all depends on what you want to accomplish with the computer and if you enjoy learning and expanding your world.
Marie

Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 7:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 12/8/2018 5:25 AM, Gene wrote:
I really don't think people should apply any updates from Microsoft until a few days or maybe a week later if using Windows 10. If Microsoft becomes reliable in the quality of its updates again, this caution may not be necessary but I think it is now. This is one more reason why.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/518921/another-windows-update-removed-after-blue-screen-of-death-reports?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2018-12-08-a-d
I'm not sure where you can check to see if problems have been found with updates but others may know. I'm also not sure if this caution should extend to all versions of Windows or just be used with Windows 10.
They As

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Steve Matzura

With increased/improved capability comes increased complexity. This is a universal truth.