How much physical RAM can a laptop hold?

Keith S

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

enes sarıbaş

hi,

Usually a minimum of 4 gb. Generally, double what your pc comes with on it's max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Keith S

computer did not come with a manual.  Wife bought it used from work.

Keith

Usually a minimum of 4 gb. Generally, double what your pc comes with on it's max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

enes sarıbaş

hi,

Which generation processor does it have? Usually, laptops around 2007-2010 hold up to 8 gb, while laptops haswell, possibly eariler, and onwards can hold upto 16 gb, while newest might hold up to 32 gb or 64 gb. You can check processor specs on intel.

On 1/3/2019 2:54 AM, Keith S wrote:
computer did not come with a manual.  Wife bought it used from work.

Keith
Usually a minimum of 4 gb. Generally, double what your pc comes with on it's max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Keith S

How do I go about figuring out the CPU?

For that matter, how do I find out the amount of ram currently installed?

Thanks

Usually a minimum of 4 gb. Generally, double what your pc comes with on it's max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Penny Golden

Will you all excuse me for a little levity?  Ever since this question was broached, my mind has been saying:
How much ram could a laptop hold
if a laptop could hold Ram?
Now I'm going to be quieter for a good long time and not do this again for at least half a year.
Forgive me.
Pen

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Gene

How much RAM does it have now?  I don't know the answer of how to find out how much RAM you have, but people constantly assume RAM is the cause of problems when there are all sorts of possible causes.  You may have insufficient RAM.  You may have other problems as well.  And at times, adding RAM covers another problem such as a serious malware infection using a lot of memory that would ordinarily either be free or used for programs.

You can also see how much RAM is being used of the RAM you currently have.  In other words, don't spend money without a lot more information, or at least without indicating to us that you have a lot more than you do now.

Also, are you sure your computer has adequate power to run Windows 10 at a reasonable speed?

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Gene

If someone doesn't tell you who uses Windows 10 in a reasonable time, I'll tell you how using Windows 7 and you can see if the procedure works.

For that matter, how do I find out the amount of ram currently installed?

Thanks

Usually a minimum of 4 gb. Generally, double what your pc comes with on it's max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Smiling?

Magically all of this information was already given to you before when you last asked, ironic nevertheless hopefully this time you actually use it.

Windows key+Pause key (the pause key is generally the third key on the right of this 3 pack of keys above the standard 6 pack of keys).

You will need to root JAWS or the equivalent to read the processor, Installed memory RAM,  Computer name and such information.

For that matter, how do I find out the amount of ram currently installed?

Thanks

Usually a minimum of 4 gb. Generally, double what your pc comes with on it's max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Hahaha I loved this. A little dose of humor to get my day started.

Em 03/01/2019 02:37, Penny Golden escreveu:

[...]

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

You can go to crucial.com a company that sells RAM and there you can run a little utility that  will tell you how much and what type RAM your laptop will accept.

computer did not come with a manual.  Wife bought it used from work.

Keith
Usually a minimum of 4 gb. Generally, double what your pc comes with on it's max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Let's start with the simple things. What kind of hard disk is in the thing? If it's a SATI you will want to run disk clean-up and defrag. If it is a solid state one, this will not help. Next, you want to see what processes are running currently and eliminate those you don't need. Then, you want to run your virus checker. After all that, then take a look at the innards of your laptop, best done by a knowledgeable amateur or prefessional. There will be slots for the memory, and you, or your guru can determine how much you can fit in the case. Oh, you might want to run a memory check too. If you've got Win10, you want 8 megs of RAM.

HTH,
Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Disk cleanup and defrag won't have any bearing on this problem.  All disk cleanup does is create more room, something worth doing since you don't know anything about the machine's past or what unnecessary files may be on it.  Defrag marginally speeds up a machine but these problems are not marginal.  And defrag may be being done automatically, we don't know how the machine is set and if its on at the right time, by default, defrag will be done automatically.

It sounds to me as if a program or programs are using an enormous amount of processor capacity.  The amount of processor capacity being used can be checked in the Windows Task Manager.  However, I don't use Windows 10 and I'll let others describe how this is done.

What malware programs are being run now?  You may solve the problem by running malware programs but in a case like this, the best thing to do, you don't know what the machine was exposed to in the past, and serious malware may not be able to be completely removed if the problem is malware, but the best thing to do might be to run the restore utility that restores the machine to original factory conditions.  I don't use Windows 10 so others can discuss how this is done.

It's a bad idea to get a used computer and use it without cleaning it first, unless you get it from a known reputable refurbisher.  And, since Windows 10 gives you the option to restore it to the factory state, that's probably what I would do if I bought a used Windows 10 machine.  If you do that, that may solve the problem and get rid of any other problems and make it unnecessary to do all this other work, which may or may not be successful.

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 8:23 AM

[...]

You can do this by typing msinfo32 into the run dialogue box. All this info is in the list view.

On 1/3/2019 4:33 AM, Keith S wrote:

How do I go about figuring out the CPU?

For that matter, how do I find out the amount of ram currently installed?

Thanks

Usually a minimum of 4 gb. Generally, double what your pc comes with on it's max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Keith & List:

Contact HP. Give them your laptop model and serial number. They can advise how much RAM it can use.

I upgraded this laptop from eight to 16 GB, does not seem to speed it up much but should.

Depending upon the age of your laptop, it may be advisable to scrap it and buy a new one.

Have a Dell Mobile Workstation I loaded up with 64 GB of RAM. Figure that should let it survive several updates to Windows without running out of RAM.

Brian K. Lingard

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Keith & List:

You can find out the most amazing things if you run the Bearlike Reporter program. Browse https://WWW.BELARK.COM TO download this program. It is free for personal use.

Gives CPU type, speed, maker, and installed ram by socket, program registration codes, and all sorts of things!

Win 10 has a program called system information.

Brian K. Lingard

Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 9:53 PM

Hi,

Which generation processor does it have? Usually, laptops around 2007-2010 hold up to 8 gb, while laptops as well, possibly earlier, and onwards can hold up to 16 gb, while newest might hold up to 32 gb or 64 gb. You can check processor specs on Intel.

Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 8:29 PM

Hi,

Usually a minimum of 4 GB. Generally, double what your pc comes with on its max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

_._,_._,_

Keith S

I couldn't load the page on firefox.

But I'll try to do a google.com search for it.  maybe a mirror site has it

Thanks

Keith

Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 8:29 PM

Hi,

Usually a minimum of 4 GB. Generally, double what your pc comes with on its max specs. Your manual should have the info.

On 1/3/2019 1:39 AM, Keith S wrote:

Hi,

How can I go about figuring out how much physical RAM my HP laptop can hold? I know the motherboard determines this, but do not know how to find this information out.

Currently, my laptop is very, very slow, as a member of this group can attest to (we connected to each other's computers through a tandem feature and he even commented on the slowness.

This makes learning Jaws and windows 10 very frustrating and tedious.

Thanks for any info

Gene

It isn't the correct spellling.  It should be:

People shouldn't write links from memory unless they are absolutely sure they are correct and even then, checking them by doing a search first would often be a good idea.  It isn't just a question of minor inconvenience these days.  Criminals buy domains with very similar names to popular sites.  They try to catch people who make typing errors.  The fraudulent sites look like the real ones and try to get people to give personal information they can use for identity theft or the improper link takes you to a site that tries to place malware on the computer.

And if people do write links, and make sure they are correct before writing them, they should check the link, letter by letter before sending the message to ensure that there are no typing errors.