Thunderbird and junk mail

Nancy Hill

I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a junk mail folder.

Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made when you use TB?

Where can I look to find the junk folder?

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Gerald Levy

Read this article for an explanation of how to configure your Thunderbird Junk folder:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls

Gerald

On 1/8/2019 11:28 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a junk mail folder.

Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made when you use TB?

Where can I look to find the junk folder?

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Troy Burnham

I have a friend who uses thunderbird and doesn't have a junk folder.  I read part of the article below and will ask him if he wants it but I wonder what happens to junk mail if there's no junk folder?  Does it all jjust end up in the inbox?

Troy

On 1/9/2019 5:33 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

Read this article for an explanation of how to configure your Thunderbird Junk folder:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls

Gerald

On 1/8/2019 11:28 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a junk mail folder.

Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made when you use TB?

Where can I look to find the junk folder?

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Gerald Levy

Yes, if you have not configured a junk folder, messages flagged as junk will be routed to your In Box.

Gerald

On 1/9/2019 9:09 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
I have a friend who uses thunderbird and doesn't have a junk folder.  I read part of the article below and will ask him if he wants it but I wonder what happens to junk mail if there's no junk folder? Does it all jjust end up in the inbox?

Troy

On 1/9/2019 5:33 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

Read this article for an explanation of how to configure your Thunderbird Junk folder:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls

Gerald

On 1/8/2019 11:28 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a junk mail folder.

Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made when you use TB?

Where can I look to find the junk folder?

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Gene

What causes there not to be a junk folder, I think its actually called trash, are people looking for the right thing?  It’s a default folder, placed in the program automatically when you create an account, at least it is when you create a POP3 account.  I don't know what happens with an IMAP account.  And shouldn't you see a trash or junk folder provided by your e-mail provider if you have an IMAP account an nothing would ever go to the junk folder anyway?  I may be wrong, never having had an IMAP account but that is what I suspect.

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Thunderbird and junk mail

Yes, if you have not configured a junk folder, messages flagged as junk
will be routed to your In Box.

Gerald

On 1/9/2019 9:09 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
> I have a friend who uses thunderbird and doesn't have a junk folder.
> I read part of the article below and will ask him if he wants it but I
> wonder what happens to junk mail if there's no junk folder? Does it
> all jjust end up in the inbox?
>

> Troy
>

> On 1/9/2019 5:33 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>>
>> Read this article for an explanation of how to configure your
>> Thunderbird Junk folder:
>>

>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls
>>

>> Gerald
>>

>> On 1/8/2019 11:28 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
>>> I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a
>>> junk mail folder.
>>>

>>> Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made
>>> when you use TB?
>>>

>>> Where can I look to find the junk folder?
>>>

>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>

>>> Nancy

Gerald Levy

Thunderbird does not install a junk folder by default.  It is not the same as the trash folder which is equivalent to the Deleted Items folder in WLM.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 8:25 AM

Yes, if you have not configured a junk folder, messages flagged as junk
will be routed to your In Box.

Gerald

On 1/9/2019 9:09 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
> I have a friend who uses thunderbird and doesn't have a junk folder.
> I read part of the article below and will ask him if he wants it but I
> wonder what happens to junk mail if there's no junk folder? Does it
> all jjust end up in the inbox?
>

> Troy
>

> On 1/9/2019 5:33 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>>
>> Read this article for an explanation of how to configure your
>> Thunderbird Junk folder:
>>

>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls
>>

>> Gerald
>>

>> On 1/8/2019 11:28 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
>>> I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a
>>> junk mail folder.
>>>

>>> Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made
>>> when you use TB?
>>>

>>> Where can I look to find the junk folder?
>>>

>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>

>>> Nancy

Gene

That explains the question.

But does that mean that no spam filtering is offered by default?  My impression is that these days, e-mail programs have some level of spam filtering turned on by default.

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 9:42 AM

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 8:25 AM

Yes, if you have not configured a junk folder, messages flagged as junk
will be routed to your In Box.

Gerald

On 1/9/2019 9:09 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
> I have a friend who uses thunderbird and doesn't have a junk folder.
> I read part of the article below and will ask him if he wants it but I
> wonder what happens to junk mail if there's no junk folder? Does it
> all jjust end up in the inbox?
>

> Troy
>

> On 1/9/2019 5:33 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>>
>> Read this article for an explanation of how to configure your
>> Thunderbird Junk folder:
>>

>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls
>>

>> Gerald
>>

>> On 1/8/2019 11:28 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
>>> I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a
>>> junk mail folder.
>>>

>>> Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made
>>> when you use TB?
>>>

>>> Where can I look to find the junk folder?
>>>

>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>

>>> Nancy

Troy Burnham

There's both a spam folder and a junk folder in thunderbird, or at least there is in mine but I have both a gmail and a road runner account set up.

Troy

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 9:42 AM

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 8:25 AM

Yes, if you have not configured a junk folder, messages flagged as junk
will be routed to your In Box.

Gerald

On 1/9/2019 9:09 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
> I have a friend who uses thunderbird and doesn't have a junk folder.
> I read part of the article below and will ask him if he wants it but I
> wonder what happens to junk mail if there's no junk folder? Does it
> all jjust end up in the inbox?
>

> Troy
>

> On 1/9/2019 5:33 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
>>
>> Read this article for an explanation of how to configure your
>> Thunderbird Junk folder:
>>

>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls
>>

>> Gerald
>>

>> On 1/8/2019 11:28 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
>>> I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a
>>> junk mail folder.
>>>

>>> Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made
>>> when you use TB?
>>>

>>> Where can I look to find the junk folder?
>>>

>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>

>>> Nancy

Troy Burnham

Sorry but I lost the e-mail showing what key command to use to send a message from my junk folder back to my inbox, what was it again?  I thought it was ctrl-j but when I hit that it opened a save dialogue.

Troy

On 1/9/2019 5:33 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

Read this article for an explanation of how to configure your Thunderbird Junk folder:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls

Gerald

On 1/8/2019 11:28 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
I am using Thunderbird with Win 7.  As far as I know, I don't have a junk mail folder.

Is a junk mail folder something you must make up, or is it just made when you use TB?

Where can I look to find the junk folder?

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Gerald Levy

The command is Shift-J, not Control-J.