Looking for blind-friendly scanner recommendations

Walt Smith

I've been looking at information on various scanners (mostly Uniden models) and am pretty much confused and feeling like I don't have the information I really need. I know that I don't want a hand-held model and I don't want one that uses touch screen technology, so what's left? Based on your personal use and experience, what's a really good, blind-friendly TrunkTracker scanner? I do know that in addition to all the basics, I want S.A.M.E. weather alert and I'm not wedded to Uniden as a manufacturer, but if you do recommend another brand, please include information on where to buy. Just to show my low level of understanding, what's the difference between analog and digital models? Thanks for any/all feedback and suggestions.

--
Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL

goshawk on horseback

personally, I like the Icom homebase scanners, such as the IC-R8500, IC-R9000, and IC-R9500 especially. they seem to do just about everything one could want, and can also have a voice board fitted, to read out the frequency, which is great for when one finds something interesting, as one can actually know where to find it again.
they are at the expensive end of the range however, especially the 9500.
where are you?
if you are in the UK, I can easily tell you where these can be found, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you are not, so thought I would ask first.

Simon

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 3:47 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Looking for blind-friendly scanner recommendations

I've been looking at information on various scanners (mostly Uniden models) and am pretty much confused and feeling like I don't have the information I really need. I know that I don't want a hand-held model and I don't want one that uses touch screen technology, so what's left? Based on your personal use and experience, what's a really good, blind-friendly TrunkTracker scanner? I do know that in addition to all the basics, I want S.A.M.E. weather alert and I'm not wedded to Uniden as a manufacturer, but if you do recommend another brand, please include information on where to buy. Just to show my low level of understanding, what's the difference between analog and digital models? Thanks for any/all feedback and suggestions.

--

Iaen Cordell

G'day Walt.
looks like the Uniden is the best of a bad bunch, not a bad radio but trying to find good software to program it is a pain!
I have several software packages to solve this problem:
you should get a subscription to www.radioreference.com as a start, they have mostly up to date frequency listings that can be downloaded to your scanner software then imported to your radio.
freescan supports the uniden scanners and the radio reference importing of frequencies.
cheers
IC

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 2:47 AM

--

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7294 / Virus Database: 4492/11266 - Release Date: 12/27/15

Billy Inglis

Hi again Iaen, I have been looking to purchase a didgital scanner here in Scotland UK for sometime now, but but find it difficult to find a seller.

I used to have a handheld radio scanner for listening to the emergency channals, such as local police, fire, and medical services, and even mobile phone transmitions and of course the CB radio system, but the handheld became basically useless, as the police and others changed to the didgal format system.

Don’t even know if you can get such a didgal radio to let you listen to the above transmitions?, Billy  

Sent: 27 December 2015 18:28
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Looking for blind-friendly scanner recommendations

G'day Walt.

looks like the Uniden is the best of a bad bunch, not a bad radio but trying to find good software to program it is a pain!

you should get a subscription to www.radioreference.com as a start, they have mostly up to date frequency listings that can be downloaded to your scanner software then imported to your radio.

freescan supports the uniden scanners and the radio reference importing of frequencies.

cheers

IC

--

ka3agm@...

This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com

Iaen Cordell

sadly most of the police transmission are now encrypted, apco25 is all the rage.
in Australia and I am guessing in the UK police are all encrypted, fire and ambulances are not as yet.
Uniden and several other brands make digital scanners, still plenty of unencrypted digital and analogue transmissions can be found.
    cheers
IC

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 7:12 AM

Hi again Iaen, I have been looking to purchase a didgital scanner here in Scotland UK for sometime now, but but find it difficult to find a seller.

I used to have a handheld radio scanner for listening to the emergency channals, such as local police, fire, and medical services, and even mobile phone transmitions and of course the CB radio system, but the handheld became basically useless, as the police and others changed to the didgal format system.

Don’t even know if you can get such a didgal radio to let you listen to the above transmitions?, Billy  

Sent: 27 December 2015 18:28
To: TechTalk@groups.io

G'day Walt.

cheers

IC

--

ka3agm@...

This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com

Version: 2016.0.7294 / Virus Database: 4492/11268 - Release Date: 12/27/15

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Walt, I'm sorry but I'm confused. Do you want a scanner for doing OCR or a radio scanner. If a scanner for teaming up with an OCR program, you can use any SANE compatible model.

I don't know a thing about radio scanners.

It would be great if you could clarify.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Iaen Cordell

interesting, I have always liked Icom, I also have a sound board in my ICom 7500 but, with out software or a PC based icom solution does any of the icom scanners do trunking or apco25 decoding?
cheers
IC

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 3:30 AM

personally, I like the Icom homebase scanners, such as the IC-R8500, IC-R9000, and IC-R9500 especially. they seem to do just about everything one could want, and can also have a voice board fitted, to read out the frequency, which is great for when one finds something interesting, as one can actually know where to find it again.
where are you?
if you are in the UK, I can easily tell you where these can be found, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you are not, so thought I would ask first.

Simon

--

goshawk on horseback

no idea, as I have never really looked in to it, mainly due to lack of any accessible manuals for the scanners, but they do seem to do most things.

Simon

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 4:26 AM

interesting, I have always liked Icom, I also have a sound board in my ICom 7500 but, with out software or a PC based icom solution does any of the icom scanners do trunking or apco25 decoding?
cheers
IC

where are you?

Simon

--

Iaen Cordell

I will do a bit more research and advise.
cheers
IC

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 5:14 PM

no idea, as I have never really looked in to it, mainly due to lack of any accessible manuals for the scanners, but they do seem to do most things.

Simon

cheers
IC

where are you?

Simon

--

Version: 2016.0.7294 / Virus Database: 4492/11271 - Release Date: 12/28/15

Iaen Cordell

OK looks like the icom pcr 2500 can decode apco25 unencrypted digital but, it can not track trunked signals.
that is if the apco25 transmissions are trunked you are out of luck.

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 5:14 PM

Simon

cheers
IC

where are you?

Simon

--