Hacking Into Notetakers

George Zaynoun

Hi folks!
Is it possible to make an image of the flashdrive of a notetaker to see its preinstalled operating system and then create a .bin file to reinstall from it? If answer is yes how can this be done? If I take for example a Hims notetaker when I connect it to the pc there is only one drive readable by the pc and this drive is same drive that the unit displays, there are 3 or 4 other drive letters that are not accessible on the pc, how can I see their content?

Thanks.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN

Josh Kennedy

this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10.

Josh

Jack And Becky <jack@...>

I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get a new lease on life so to speak !!  Jack and Bex

On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10.

Josh

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,

No, it might not be possible unless you’re willing to capture ROM images by opening up the notetaker casing or a hex dumper. The reason why you won’t see the “other disk” you speak of is because that “system disk” is not really a disk at all – it is a ROM image. In Windows CE, the “Windows” directory that resides in that “system disk” is really an instruction for the operating system to access the ROM image (does this sound familiar? I talked about ROM images a lot back in the old days).

If you’d like to have an emulated ROM image for these notetakers, this might not be the venue for it – you should really contact HumanWare and/or HIMS if you pursue such activities, as they’re the ones who can give you an authoritative answer (although I was once considered a notetaker expert, I’m not an authority on ROM image creation).

Cheers,

Joseph

I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get a new lease on life so to speak !!  Jack and Bex

On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10.

Josh

George Zaynoun

What is a hex dumper?
On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com <mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com>> wrote:
this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10.
Josh
--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 Mobile: +46 (70) 366 63 29

Mohamed

Unfortunately, even if you do get access to the unit's files from within the unit itself, and you can, you just have to know where to look, the notetakers I've tested do not allow you to copy most system files. You'd need to extract them from an image, such as a software update. The Apex, for example, seems to have its ROM stored in a file called everest_kernel.bex, located in the HWI, though I've never figured out how to extract it. As far as I know you'd need to extract the files from a working unit.

On 1/23/2019 11:56 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

What about Hims products?
[...]

I think Hims products have the same issue for the most part. I remember a hack to get in and access the system files from within the unit, but I I can't quite recall the details. Something like typing /flashdisk/../ in the address bar, but even then I think you encounter the same issue.

On 1/24/2019 4:35 AM, George Zaynoun wrote:
What about Hims products?
[...]

The upgrades are password protected as well.

On 1/24/2019 5:00 AM, Mohamed via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Type flashdisk in the address bar, which address bar, where on the pc?
[...]

On the notetaker itself. This probably doesn't work on the PC.

On 1/24/2019 5:54 AM, George Zaynoun wrote:
[...]

Angelo Sonnesso

There might be a possibility with the Levelstar notetaker since it is based on Linux

73 N2DYN Angelo

I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get
a new lease on life so to speak !! Jack and Bex
On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com
<mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com>> wrote:
this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old
notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete
image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware
including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in
windows 10.
Josh

George Zaynoun

Where on the notetaker itself I type
flashdisk/..
do you mean I open the web browser?
[...]

No, in the file manager.

On 1/24/2019 9:00 AM, George Zaynoun wrote:
[...]

I will try locate the menu which does it, thanks and maybe more questions later.
[...]

I get invalid path on the u2 when I type in the address bar
flashdisk/..
[...]

No, you type /flashdisk/../

On 1/24/2019 11:29 PM, George Zaynoun wrote:
[...]

Thank you I managed now to see the contents, will try to locate where Braille tables are, if I wanna copy these contents as they are can I open the flashdrive from the pc in the same way or do I have to use the U2 and copy to an sd or flash drive from the unit itself?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:02 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
[...]

You have to copy them from the U2. This area of the disk is invisible to the PC as far as I know. Be aware that you may not be able to copy everything, though.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:02 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these
things get
a new lease on life so to speak !! Jack and Bex
On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com
<mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com>> wrote:
this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to
preserve old
notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete
image
of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware
including its
text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10.
Josh

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE    SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 Mobile: +46 (70) 366 63 29

George Zaynoun

Ok, if I want to see same content on the Polaris/Polaris Mini the command seems to be different, I tried same command but it responded with invalid path, I omitted the first slash and I saw things but not all content, do you know what in Android world would that command be? Thanks.