Hacking Into Notetakers

George Zaynoun

Hi folks!
Is it possible to make an image of the flashdrive of a notetaker to see its preinstalled operating system and then create a .bin file to reinstall from it? If answer is yes how can this be done? If I take for example a Hims notetaker when I connect it to the pc there is only one drive readable by the pc and this drive is same drive that the unit displays, there are 3 or 4 other drive letters that are not accessible on the pc, how can I see their content?

Thanks.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 Mobile: +46 (70) 366 63 29

Josh Kennedy

this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10. 

Josh

Jack And Becky <jack@...>

I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get a new lease on life so to speak !!  Jack and Bex 

On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10. 

Josh

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,

No, it might not be possible unless you’re willing to capture ROM images by opening up the notetaker casing or a hex dumper. The reason why you won’t see the “other disk” you speak of is because that “system disk” is not really a disk at all – it is a ROM image. In Windows CE, the “Windows” directory that resides in that “system disk” is really an instruction for the operating system to access the ROM image (does this sound familiar? I talked about ROM images a lot back in the old days).

If you’d like to have an emulated ROM image for these notetakers, this might not be the venue for it – you should really contact HumanWare and/or HIMS if you pursue such activities, as they’re the ones who can give you an authoritative answer (although I was once considered a notetaker expert, I’m not an authority on ROM image creation).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack And Becky
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:02 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Hacking Into Notetakers

I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get a new lease on life so to speak !!  Jack and Bex 

Josh

George Zaynoun

What is a hex dumper?
Original message:

Hi,
No, it might not be possible unless you’re willing to capture ROM images by opening up the notetaker casing or a hex dumper. The reason why you won’t see the “other disk” you speak of is because that “system disk” is not really a disk at all – it is a ROM image. In Windows CE, the “Windows” directory that resides in that “system disk” is really an instruction for the operating system to access the ROM image (does this sound familiar? I talked about ROM images a lot back in the old days).
If you’d like to have an emulated ROM image for these notetakers, this might not be the venue for it – you should really contact HumanWare and/or HIMS if you pursue such activities, as they’re the ones who can give you an authoritative answer (although I was once considered a notetaker expert, I’m not an authority on ROM image creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack And Becky
I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get a new lease on life so to speak !! Jack and Bex
On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com <mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com>> wrote:
Josh
--
Georges Zeinoun

Mohamed

Unfortunately, even if you do get access to the unit's files from within the unit itself, and you can, you just have to know where to look, the notetakers I've tested do not allow you to copy most system files. You'd need to extract them from an image, such as a software update. The Apex, for example, seems to have its ROM stored in a file called everest_kernel.bex, located in the HWI, though I've never figured out how to extract it. As far as I know you'd need to extract the files from a working unit.

On 1/23/2019 11:56 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Josh

George Zaynoun

What about Hims products?
Original message:

Unfortunately, even if you do get access to the unit's files from within the unit itself, and you can, you just have to know where to look, the notetakers I've tested do not allow you to copy most system files. You'd need to extract them from an image, such as a software update. The Apex, for example, seems to have its ROM stored in a file called everest_kernel.bex, located in the HWI, though I've never figured out how to extract it. As far as I know you'd need to extract the files from a working unit.

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack And Becky
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get a new lease on life so to speak !! Jack and Bex
On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com <mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com>> wrote:
Josh
--
Georges Zeinoun

Mohamed

I think Hims products have the same issue for the most part. I remember a hack to get in and access the system files from within the unit, but I I can't quite recall the details. Something like typing /flashdisk/../ in the address bar, but even then I think you encounter the same issue.

On 1/24/2019 4:35 AM, George Zaynoun wrote:
Original message:

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack And Becky
Josh

Mohamed

The upgrades are password protected as well.

On 1/24/2019 5:00 AM, Mohamed via Groups.Io wrote:
I think Hims products have the same issue for the most part. I remember a hack to get in and access the system files from within the unit, but I I can't quite recall the details. Something like typing /flashdisk/../ in the address bar, but even then I think you encounter the same issue.

Original message:

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph
Josh

George Zaynoun

Type flashdisk in the address bar, which address bar, where on the pc?
Original message:

I think Hims products have the same issue for the most part. I remember
a hack to get in and access the system files from within the unit, but I
I can't quite recall the details. Something like typing /flashdisk/../
in the address bar, but even then I think you encounter the same issue.
Original message:
Unfortunately, even if you do get access to the unit's files from
within the unit itself, and you can, you just have to know where to
look, the notetakers I've tested do not allow you to copy most system
files. You'd need to extract them from an image, such as a software
update. The Apex, for example, seems to have its ROM stored in a file
called everest_kernel.bex, located in the HWI, though I've never
figured out how to extract it. As far as I know you'd need to extract
the files from a working unit.

Hi,
No, it might not be possible unless you’re willing to capture ROM
images by opening up the notetaker casing or a hex dumper. The reason
why you won’t see the “other disk” you speak of is because that
“system disk” is not really a disk at all – it is a ROM image. In
Windows CE, the “Windows” directory that resides in that “system
disk” is really an instruction for the operating system to access the
ROM image (does this sound familiar? I talked about ROM images a lot
back in the old days).
If you’d like to have an emulated ROM image for these notetakers,
this might not be the venue for it – you should really contact
HumanWare and/or HIMS if you pursue such activities, as they’re the
ones who can give you an authoritative answer (although I was once
considered a notetaker expert, I’m not an authority on ROM image
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf
Of Jack And Becky
I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get
a new lease on life so to speak !! Jack and Bex
On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com
<mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com>> wrote:
this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old
notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete image
of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware including its
text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10.
Josh

--
Georges Zeinoun

Mohamed

On the notetaker itself. This probably doesn't work on the PC.

On 1/24/2019 5:54 AM, George Zaynoun wrote:
Original message:
Original message:

Hi,
back in the old days).
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
Of Jack And Becky
Josh

Angelo Sonnesso

There might be a possibility with the Levelstar notetaker since it is based on Linux

73 N2DYN Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mohamed
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 5:02 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

The upgrades are password protected as well.

On 1/24/2019 5:00 AM, Mohamed via Groups.Io wrote:
I think Hims products have the same issue for the most part. I
remember a hack to get in and access the system files from within the
unit, but I I can't quite recall the details. Something like typing
/flashdisk/../ in the address bar, but even then I think you encounter
the same issue.

Original message:

look, the notetakers I've tested do not allow you to copy most
system files. You'd need to extract them from an image, such as a
software update. The Apex, for example, seems to have its ROM stored
in a file called everest_kernel.bex, located in the HWI, though I've
never figured out how to extract it. As far as I know you'd need to
extract the files from a working unit.

Hi,
images by opening up the notetaker casing or a hex dumper. The
reason why you won’t see the “other disk” you speak of is because
that “system disk” is not really a disk at all – it is a ROM image.
In Windows CE, the “Windows” directory that resides in that “system
disk” is really an instruction for the operating system to access
the ROM image (does this sound familiar? I talked about ROM images a
lot back in the old days).
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
Of Jack And Becky
notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete
image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware
including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in
windows 10.
Josh

George Zaynoun

Where on the notetaker itself I type
flashdisk/..
do you mean I open the web browser?
Original message:

Original message:
Original message:

Hi,
back in the old days).
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
Of Jack And Becky
Josh

--
Georges Zeinoun

Mohamed

No, in the file manager.

On 1/24/2019 9:00 AM, George Zaynoun wrote:
flashdisk/..
Original message:
Original message:
Original message:

Hi,
back in the old days).
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
Of Jack And Becky
Josh

George Zaynoun

I will try locate the menu which does it, thanks and maybe more questions later.
Original message:

No, in the file manager.
flashdisk/..
Original message:
Original message:
remember
a hack to get in and access the system files from within the unit,
but I
in the address bar, but even then I think you encounter the same
issue.
Original message:
system
update. The Apex, for example, seems to have its ROM stored in a
file
figured out how to extract it. As far as I know you'd need to
extract

Hi,
reason
the
back in the old days).
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
Of Jack And Becky
Josh

--
Georges Zeinoun

George Zaynoun

I get invalid path on the u2 when I type in the address bar
flashdisk/..
Original message:

I will try locate the menu which does it, thanks and maybe more
questions later.
Original message:
No, in the file manager.
flashdisk/..
Original message:
Original message:
remember
but I
issue.
Original message:
system
file
extract

Hi,
reason
the
back in the old days).
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
Of Jack And Becky
Josh

--
Georges Zeinoun
--
Georges Zeinoun

Mohamed

No, you type /flashdisk/../

On 1/24/2019 11:29 PM, George Zaynoun wrote:
flashdisk/..
Original message:
questions later.
Original message:
No, in the file manager.
flashdisk/..
Original message:
Original message:
remember
but I
issue.
Original message:
system
file
extract

Hi,
reason
the
back in the old days).
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
Of Jack And Becky
Josh

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE    SWEDEN

George Zaynoun

Thank you I managed now to see the contents, will try to locate where Braille tables are, if I wanna copy these contents as they are can I open the flashdrive from the pc in the same way or do I have to use the U2 and copy to an sd or flash drive from the unit itself?
Original message:

flashdisk/..
Original message:
questions later.
Original message:
No, in the file manager.
flashdisk/..
Original message:
Type flashdisk in the address bar, which address bar, where on
the pc?
Original message:
remember
but I
I can't quite recall the details. Something like typing
/flashdisk/../
issue.
Original message:
within the unit itself, and you can, you just have to know
where to
system
files. You'd need to extract them from an image, such as a
software
file
extract

Hi,
reason
the
ROM image (does this sound familiar? I talked about ROM images
a lot
back in the old days).
HumanWare and/or HIMS if you pursue such activities, as
they’re the
ones who can give you an authoritative answer (although I was
once
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
<main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> On
Behalf
Of Jack And Becky
I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these
things get
this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to
preserve old
of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware
including its
Josh

--
Georges Zeinoun

--
Georges Zeinoun

Mohamed

You have to copy them from the U2. This area of the disk is invisible to the PC as far as I know. Be aware that you may not be able to copy everything, though.

On 1/26/2019 12:11 PM, George Zaynoun wrote:
Thank you I managed now to see the contents, will try to locate where Braille tables are, if I wanna copy these contents as they are can I open the flashdrive from the pc in the same way or do I have to use the U2 and copy to an sd or flash drive from the unit itself?
Original message:
flashdisk/..
Original message:
questions later.
Original message:
No, in the file manager.
flashdisk/..
Original message:
the pc?
Original message:
remember
but I
/flashdisk/../
issue.
Original message:
within the unit itself, and you can, you just have to know
where to
system
files. You'd need to extract them from an image, such as a
software
file
extract

Hi,
reason
the
ROM image (does this sound familiar? I talked about ROM images
a lot
back in the old days).
HumanWare and/or HIMS if you pursue such activities, as
they’re the
ones who can give you an authoritative answer (although I was
once
creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
<main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> On
Behalf
Of Jack And Becky
I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these
things get
this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to
preserve old
of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware
including its
Josh

--
Georges Zeinoun

George Zaynoun

Ok, if I want to see same content on the Polaris/Polaris Mini the command seems to be different, I tried same command but it responded with invalid path, I omitted the first slash and I saw things but not all content, do you know what in Android world would that command be? Thanks.
Original message:

You have to copy them from the U2. This area of the disk is invisible to
the PC as far as I know. Be aware that you may not be able to copy
everything, though.
On 1/26/2019 12:11 PM, George Zaynoun wrote:
Thank you I managed now to see the contents, will try to locate where
Braille tables are, if I wanna copy these contents as they are can I
open the flashdrive from the pc in the same way or do I have to use
the U2 and copy to an sd or flash drive from the unit itself?
Original message:
flashdisk/..
Original message:
questions later.
Original message:
No, in the file manager.
flashdisk/..
Original message:
the pc?
Original message:
remember
a hack to get in and access the system files from within the
unit,
but I
/flashdisk/../