the DTBM machine from nls

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Andy & List:
You are fortunate! Perhaps few people belonging to your library want an Advanced DTBM.

Brian K. Lingard VE3YI, Ab2JI, B.. A., C. T. M.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy .Tidwell
Sent: January 29, 2019 2:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the DTBM machine from nls

I just got one yesterday, it is an advanced player, the one I returned was an advanced player, and the only reason I returned it was that it no longer would hold a charge.

-----Original Message-----d Levy
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:08 PM

Not necessarily. The NLS stopped producing advanced players a few years ago, and many network libraries no longer have any on hand as replacements for patrons who return defective players or want to swap a standard player for an advanced one. Before returning your standard player for an advanced one, contact your network library first to determine whether they have any available. All advanced players sent out by network libraries are now refurbished units; there are no longer any new units available for circulation, and the only new players currently being produced are standard models.
Gerald

On 1/29/2019 11:15 AM, Andy .Tidwell wrote:
Hello Troy, if you would like to get an advanced player it is as easy
as contacting your library and requesting one and they will trade out with you no questions ask it Will take a couple of days for you to receive it.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Troy Burnham
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:25 AM

Thanks all, I am sure I have the original machine and not the advanced model given how long I have had it.

Troy

On 1/29/2019 6:47 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Depends on which version of the DTBM you have, but if you hold down
The diamond shaped info key, you should get the user guide, I think.
All the buttons are labeled in braille, so it should not take too long
To learn your machine.

Ann P.

Hi all,
I believe that there is some built-in help on the digital talking
Book machine that we can get from nls but how do I get to it. I
Hardly ever use the machine but now I want to listen to a magazine
On it that I received from nls, and I need to know what keys do what.
Thanks.
Troy

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Andy & List:

Interesting! The Super player. If NLS is talking about this new unit, you will need to phone them in Washington and ask.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf of Andy Tidwell
Sent: January 29, 2019 3:05 PM

Hello Jerald, correction to that, I just got off the phone to the library and I was told that they no longer made any of the players that includes both advanced and standard players and that anything now is refurbished and the NLS is talking about a super player but they could not go in to any details right now.
I just thought I would pass this along.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf of Gerald Levy

Not necessarily. The NLS stopped producing advanced players a few years ago, and many network libraries no longer have any on hand as replacements for patrons who return defective players or want to swap a standard player for an advanced one. Before returning your standard player for an advanced one, contact your network library first to determine whether they have any available. All advanced players sent out by network libraries are now refurbished units; there are no longer any new units available for circulation, and the only new players currently being produced are standard models.

Gerald

On 1/29/2019 11:15 AM, Andy Tidwell wrote:
as contacting your library and requesting one and they will trade out with you no questions ask it Will take a couple of days for you to receive it.

Troy Burnham

Thanks all, I am sure I have the original machine and not the advanced model given how long I have had it.

Troy

Hi all,

To learn your machine.

Ann P.

Hi all,
Thanks.

Troy

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Pam, Andy, Gerard, Troy & List:

I wonder why NLS ceased making the advanced machines. They make navigating by chapter or heading simpler.

For the Key describer, turn on the DTBM with no cartridge present. Press a key, the machine describes its name & use.
The Diamond-shape key is Help, starts playing the User Guide. Key describer is good to familiarize you with which key does what.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: January 29, 2019 1:09 PM

Yes, I remember that was what you said. However, in my opinion, the DTBM has much better sound than listening to books on any of those tiny little devices. You will see how it sounds when you listen to the magazine. The first thing I do when I put in a cartridge or a book, I go to the two up and down arrow buttons that are to the left of the speaker, and down arrow until I hear two beeps. That will put the bass all the way up, so that it sounds fuller. Whenever you start a new book, you have to make your own adjustments on it, unlike many of the other ones. Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:01 PM

I do not use the DTBM anyway as I have a Victor reader stream that I read books with. The only reason I am asking about the DTBM now is that I have a magazine on a cartridge from nls that I want to start reading and I will need the DTBM for that.

Troy

On 1/29/2019 11:07 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

The NLS stopped producing advanced players a few
Years ago, many network libraries no longer have any in stock as
Replacements for patrons who return defective players or want to swap
A standard player for an advanced. Before returning your standard
Player for an advanced one, contact your network library first to
determine whether they have any available. All advanced players sent
Out by network libraries are now refurbished units; there are no
Longer any new units available for circulation, the only new
Players currently produced are standard models.

Gerald

Andy Tidwell wrote:
As contacting your library and requesting one and they will trade out
With you no questions ask it will take a couple of days for you to
receive it.
Troy Burnham

Thanks all, I'm pretty sure I have the original machine and not the
Advanced model given how long I have had it.

Troy

Hi all,

Depends on which version of the DTBM you have, Hold down
The diamond shaped info key, the for the User guide.
All the buttons are labeled in braille, so it should not take too
Long to learn your machine.

Ann P.

Original message:
Hi all,
Thanks.
Troy

Pamela Dominguez

It's strange, because of all the people I know who use these players, I only know two of them who wanted a standard player. Pam.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:57 AM

Dear Andy & List:
You are fortunate! Perhaps few people belonging to your library want an Advanced DTBM.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy .Tidwell

I just got one yesterday, it is an advanced player, the one I returned was an advanced player, and the only reason I returned it was that it no longer would hold a charge.

Gerald

Troy Burnham

Troy

Hi all,

To learn your machine.

Ann P.

Hi all,
Thanks.
Troy

Pamela Dominguez

There is probably nothing to ask, yet. Nothing has come out, and I think they are not close to releasing one, yet. Pam.

Dear Andy & List:

Interesting! The Super player. If NLS is talking about this new unit, you will need to phone them in Washington and ask.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf of Andy Tidwell
Sent: January 29, 2019 3:05 PM

Hello Jerald, correction to that, I just got off the phone to the library and I was told that they no longer made any of the players that includes both advanced and standard players and that anything now is refurbished and the NLS is talking about a super player but they could not go in to any details right now.
I just thought I would pass this along.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf of Gerald Levy

Gerald

On 1/29/2019 11:15 AM, Andy Tidwell wrote:

Troy Burnham

Troy

Hi all,

To learn your machine.

Ann P.

Hi all,
Thanks.

Troy

Gerald Levy

Pam, we're not like other people.  Members of this list like you and me tend to be much more tech savvy than the average NLS patron.  The bureaucrats at the NLS have long insisted that most patrons request the standard player, which is why they only produced a limited number of  advanced models.  Obviously, they underestimated demand, but because of financial constraints, it would not make sense for them to resume production of the advanced player.  A librarian at the Andrew Heiskell Library told me that you cannot request an advanced player directly from the NLS; if you contact them, they will simply refer you back to your local network library.  It is possible that the NLS wants to take advanced players out of circulation altogether to simplify inventory and reduce costs.  Like every other federal agency, they are under increasing pressure to streamline their operations to comply with the President's mandate for cost reductions to make more funds available for border security, which to him, is much more important than social programs for the disabled.

Gerald

On 1/31/2019 5:02 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
It's strange, because of all the people I know who use these players, I only know two of them who wanted a standard player.  Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Brian K. Lingard

Dear Andy & List:

Not necessarily.  The NLS stopped producing advanced players a few years ago, and many network libraries no longer have any on hand as replacements for patrons who return defective players or want to swap a standard player for an advanced one.  Before returning your standard player for an advanced one, contact your network library first to determine whether they have any available.  All advanced players sent out by network libraries are now refurbished units; there are no longer any new units available for circulation, and the only new players currently being produced are standard models.
Gerald

Troy Burnham

Troy

Hi all,

To learn your machine.

Ann P.

Hi all,
Book machine that we can get from nls but how do I get to it.  I
Thanks.
Troy

TerriLynne Pomeroy <tl1@...>

A growing proportion of people with visual impairments are elderly. While some are enthusiastic learners of technology, others may be busy mourning their vision loss, have memory difficulties that prevent them from becoming quick learners, particularly of more complicated technology;. In our state, we have a program which pays blind people to go to the homes of other blind people to teach them to use various technologies. Most of the people requesting this assistance are older, and many struggle with the learning.

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:48 AM

Pam, we're not like other people. Members of this list like you and me tend to be much more tech savvy than the average NLS patron. The bureaucrats at the NLS have long insisted that most patrons request the standard player, which is why they only produced a limited number of advanced models. Obviously, they underestimated demand, but because of financial constraints, it would not make sense for them to resume production of the advanced player. A librarian at the Andrew Heiskell Library told me that you cannot request an advanced player directly from the NLS; if you contact them, they will simply refer you back to your local network library. It is possible that the NLS wants to take advanced players out of circulation altogether to simplify inventory and reduce costs. Like every other federal agency, they are under increasing pressure to streamline their operations to comply with the President's mandate for cost reductions to make more funds available for border security, which to him, is much more important than social programs for the disabled.

Gerald

On 1/31/2019 5:02 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
It's strange, because of all the people I know who use these players,
I only know two of them who wanted a standard player. Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Brian K. Lingard

Dear Andy & List:
You are fortunate! Perhaps few people belonging to your library want
an Advanced DTBM.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Andy .Tidwell

I just got one yesterday, it is an advanced player, the one I returned
was an advanced player, and the only reason I returned it was that it
no longer would hold a charge.

Not necessarily. The NLS stopped producing advanced players a few
years ago, and many network libraries no longer have any on hand as
replacements for patrons who return defective players or want to swap
a standard player for an advanced one. Before returning your standard
player for an advanced one, contact your network library first to
determine whether they have any available. All advanced players sent
out by network libraries are now refurbished units; there are no
longer any new units available for circulation, and the only new
players currently being produced are standard models.
Gerald

as contacting your library and requesting one and they will trade out
with you no questions ask it Will take a couple of days for you to
receive it.

Troy Burnham

Thanks all, I am sure I have the original machine and not the
advanced model given how long I have had it.

Troy

Hi all,

All the buttons are labeled in braille, so it should not take too
long To learn your machine.

Ann P.

Hi all,
Thanks.
Troy

Dave

A Super Player?    Gosh, I think they already did a fantastic job on the
latest Digital Book Player.   Other than a couple of minor changes in
the Software, I can't think of a way to improve it, unless it will play
other files than NLS and MP3.

I hope they don't take a couple of steps backwards if they do release a
Super Player.

And this current Player is built like a Tank.  Mine has been Blind
Proof, meaning, Indestructible.

grumpy Dave

Sandra Streeter

Me, too--though I think I heard one of the improvements will be wireless access through wifi, and that you'd be able to order books somehow through the player itself--which would be grand for me: I'm currently experiencing weird computer freezes at 20-minute intervals, and unless I think to do a re-start via the start button, I can only get 20 minutes of work done at a shot; and if I'm on a marathon BARD binge, that is not cool!

Sandra
“Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him.”
― C.S. Lewis

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:02 AM

A Super Player? Gosh, I think they already did a fantastic job on the
latest Digital Book Player. Other than a couple of minor changes in

Super Player.

And this current Player is built like a Tank. Mine has been Blind

grumpy Dave

Dave

Sandra,

Your Computer shuts down after 20 minutes?

Is it over heating?  Is there a Fan, and does it run?

Grumpy Dave

Sandra Streeter

Yeah; as far as I know, fans are as usual. Scans with MB and MSE, several times over, have come up with nothing. The only time everything is workable is when I'm actually running the MSE deep scan. Am too much of a non-initiate to want to totally re-install Win. 7, so am hoping for a less-involved possible solution. Not willing to pay $300.00 to have someone troubleshoot and fix if possible, so doing what I can for now... Hope this gives you ,more 411 to go on! It has been like this for about 2 weeks.

Sandra
“Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him.”
― C.S. Lewis

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:09 PM

Sandra,

Is it over heating? Is there a Fan, and does it run?

Grumpy Dave

Dave

Hi Sandra,

Unless there is a Scheduled Event, such as shutting down your system 20
minutes after start up, I can't think of any thing with the clues you've
given.

Don't know where you live, but for $300 you could purchase a nice Used
Windows 7, or even Win 10 System.  Here in Seattle, we have a couple of
places that sell nothing but used refurbished machines. Bought my last
two Win 7 Systems for $250 each.

this would be just the Tower.  Laptops would be a bit more.

Wish I knew more to help you out.

Grumpy Dave

Pamela Dominguez

Well, everybody was complaining about how it doesn't have a clock, and it can't go online and download books and all that jazz. Well, I think to me, that's sour grapes. It's a lot better than a cassette player, and to me, I have a computer so I can download my books onto it and unzip them and put them onto a drive or cartridge; so I don't see anything to complain about. Pam.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:02 AM

A Super Player? Gosh, I think they already did a fantastic job on the
latest Digital Book Player. Other than a couple of minor changes in

Super Player.

And this current Player is built like a Tank. Mine has been Blind

grumpy Dave

Dave

Pam,

Well, I guess having a machine that has the ability to download Books
from the NLS would be a feature I never thought about.  Like you, I have
a computer, and I have no problems downloading books and unzipping them
etc.

I was under the impression, for those who did not own a computer, or
those who found the downloading of Books to be a bit over whelming,
these same folks could still call up their local library for the Blind
and order Books just as they did on Cassettes and Records.

so, why is there a need for something better?

Of course, there are those who want literally everything done for them. 
Are we Blind people Spoiled or what! Sheesh!

Grumpy Dave

chris judge

I don't think having books automatically downloaded to your device falls under the category of having everything done for you. Here in Canada we have the CELA library service, which is similar to NLS. We still have to go online and search for the book, it's just that instead of waiting for a physical book to come in the mail, it downloads directly to the player. I believe the victor stream has the ability to do this with NLS.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:45 PM

Pam,

Well, I guess having a machine that has the ability to download Books from the NLS would be a feature I never thought about. Like you, I have a computer, and I have no problems downloading books and unzipping them etc.

I was under the impression, for those who did not own a computer, or those who found the downloading of Books to be a bit over whelming, these same folks could still call up their local library for the Blind and order Books just as they did on Cassettes and Records.

Of course, there are those who want literally everything done for them. Are we Blind people Spoiled or what! Sheesh!

Grumpy Dave

Pamela Dominguez

I agree with you. Yes, people can still get books from their library sent to them on cartridges. Pam.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:44 PM

Pam,

Well, I guess having a machine that has the ability to download Books
from the NLS would be a feature I never thought about. Like you, I have
a computer, and I have no problems downloading books and unzipping them
etc.

I was under the impression, for those who did not own a computer, or
those who found the downloading of Books to be a bit over whelming,
these same folks could still call up their local library for the Blind
and order Books just as they did on Cassettes and Records.

Of course, there are those who want literally everything done for them.
Are we Blind people Spoiled or what! Sheesh!

Grumpy Dave

Gene

I didn't see the first message but if I understand your second one, the computer doesn't shut down when you are doing a scan.  That would seem to preclude heat as an issue unless people know that such programs prevent shutdowns.  I doubt they do and it might be dangerous for the computer if they did.  If you are saying that every twenty minutes of use, your computer automatically shuts down, that doesn't sound like a heat issue either.  A heat issue wouldn't be so perfectly timed and, remember that the computer, presumably, is booted again after a shut down.  It then runs for twenty more minutes.  If it is already hot enough to shut down once and it is rebooted immediately and continued to be used, it wouldn't take twenty more minutes for the machine to become hot enough to shut down again.  it would already be almost hot enough when rebooted.

It may be that some logs, which a technically knowledgeable person can look at, might give some information.  It may be that, if you have a system restore point from before the problem started, that running it might solve the problem. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:22 PM

Yeah; as far as I know, fans are as usual. Scans with MB and MSE, several
times over, have come up with nothing. The only time everything is workable
is when I'm actually running the MSE deep scan. Am too much of a
non-initiate to want to totally re-install Win. 7, so am hoping for a
less-involved possible solution. Not willing to pay $300.00 to have someone
troubleshoot and fix if possible, so doing what I can for now... Hope this
gives you ,more 411 to go on! It has been like this for about 2 weeks.

Sandra
“Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbor; act as if you
did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are
behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him.”
― C.S. Lewis

Sandra,

Grumpy Dave

Pamela Dominguez

Yes, it does. But I didn't get a Victor anything until I got the Trek. So, it really didn't bother me that I had to download a book on a computer, unzip it, and put it on something to play it in the player. I mean, it's not like waiting for it to come in the mail. Pam.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:03 PM

I don't think having books automatically downloaded to your device falls under the category of having everything done for you. Here in Canada we have the CELA library service, which is similar to NLS. We still have to go online and search for the book, it's just that instead of waiting for a physical book to come in the mail, it downloads directly to the player. I believe the victor stream has the ability to do this with NLS.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:45 PM

Pam,

Well, I guess having a machine that has the ability to download Books from the NLS would be a feature I never thought about. Like you, I have a computer, and I have no problems downloading books and unzipping them etc.

I was under the impression, for those who did not own a computer, or those who found the downloading of Books to be a bit over whelming, these same folks could still call up their local library for the Blind and order Books just as they did on Cassettes and Records.

Of course, there are those who want literally everything done for them. Are we Blind people Spoiled or what! Sheesh!

Grumpy Dave

Sandra Streeter

Appreciate your efforts, though. I am also starting to pay attention to ads in the various blindness listservs for computers, but even they are out of my current price range, unless someone is willing to do an installment plan. . Will also start looking into some funding streams, either for repair or replacement. I believe this was a refurbished model, and has definitely done its good work (if it's indeed dying), since I have had it since 2012!

Sandra
― C.S. Lewis

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:33 PM

Hi Sandra,

Unless there is a Scheduled Event, such as shutting down your system 20
minutes after start up, I can't think of any thing with the clues you've
given.

Don't know where you live, but for $300 you could purchase a nice Used
Windows 7, or even Win 10 System. Here in Seattle, we have a couple of
places that sell nothing but used refurbished machines. Bought my last
two Win 7 Systems for $250 each.

this would be just the Tower. Laptops would be a bit more.

Wish I knew more to help you out.

Grumpy Dave

Sandra Streeter

Even as non-techy and as technophobe as I tend to be, I had begun to puzzle out exactly those points. Unfortunately, no restore-point available from that time, or I’d have gladly taken me back there!

Sandra
― C.S. Lewis

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:21 PM

I didn't see the first message but if I understand your second one, the computer doesn't shut down when you are doing a scan.  That would seem to preclude heat as an issue unless people know that such programs prevent shutdowns.  I doubt they do and it might be dangerous for the computer if they did.  If you are saying that every twenty minutes of use, your computer automatically shuts down, that doesn't sound like a heat issue either.  A heat issue wouldn't be so perfectly timed and, remember that the computer, presumably, is booted again after a shut down.  It then runs for twenty more minutes.  If it is already hot enough to shut down once and it is rebooted immediately and continued to be used, it wouldn't take twenty more minutes for the machine to become hot enough to shut down again.  it would already be almost hot enough when rebooted.

It may be that some logs, which a technically knowledgeable person can look at, might give some information.  It may be that, if you have a system restore point from before the problem started, that running it might solve the problem. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:22 PM

Yeah; as far as I know, fans are as usual. Scans with MB and MSE, several
times over, have come up with nothing. The only time everything is workable
is when I'm actually running the MSE deep scan. Am too much of a
non-initiate to want to totally re-install Win. 7, so am hoping for a
less-involved possible solution. Not willing to pay $300.00 to have someone
troubleshoot and fix if possible, so doing what I can for now... Hope this
gives you ,more 411 to go on! It has been like this for about 2 weeks.

Sandra
“Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbor; act as if you
did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are
behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him.”
― C.S. Lewis

Sandra,

Grumpy Dave