customer service jobs

Shelly Kane

Hi group:

I'm not sure if any of you will know the answer to this question but thought I would ask anyway.  Someone on my other list was talking about telephone jobs and they had mentioned this firm that you could work from home taking calls and orders for a home delivery pizza parlor in Toronto.  They didn't say what the name of it was and I tried googling it but nothing comes up.  So just wanted to see if any of you guys knew about it.  I thought it sounded interesting.  Thanks and take care.

Shelly

Dave

Hello Shelly,

Sorry, can't help you with the Pizza job, but I did just come across a
Work at Home job, working for Triple A.  (AAA)

They pay you by the call, rather than by the hour.  the most you could
make would be about $15 an hour, if you worked an 8 hour job, and was
talking for all 480 minutes in an 8 hour shift.

My guess is that you may make closer to $6 to $8 an hour.  But, it is
working at home.

Grumpy Dave

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hi Shelly, have you tried googling working from home job pizza parlor Toronto Canada? That might pull something out.

On Feb 3, 2019, at 1:29 AM, Shelly Kane <shellykane323@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi group:

I'm not sure if any of you will know the answer to this question but thought I would ask anyway. Someone on my other list was talking about telephone jobs and they had mentioned this firm that you could work from home taking calls and orders for a home delivery pizza parlor in Toronto. They didn't say what the name of it was and I tried googling it but nothing comes up. So just wanted to see if any of you guys knew about it. I thought it sounded interesting. Thanks and take care.

Shelly

Shelly Kane

Dave:

Thanks for responding.  That's kind of what I'm looking for.  If you wouldn't mind, could you please get me the contact information?  Thanks in advance.

Shelly

On 2/3/2019 5:33 PM, Dave wrote:
Hello Shelly,

Work at Home job, working for Triple A.  (AAA)

They pay you by the call, rather than by the hour.  the most you could

My guess is that you may make closer to $6 to $8 an hour.  But, it is
working at home.

Grumpy Dave

Shelly Kane

No, I haven't done that yet but I definitely will.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm looking for jobs that are entry level and that need no experience necessary.  So that's why when someone mentioned this type of job, it caught my attention.  I definitely want to check out the one from Triple A as well when Dave gets me the contact information.  Take care and thanks.

Shelly

On 2/3/2019 5:39 PM, joseph hudson wrote:
Hi Shelly, have you tried googling working from home job pizza parlor Toronto Canada? That might pull something out.

Hi group:

I'm not sure if any of you will know the answer to this question but thought I would ask anyway. Someone on my other list was talking about telephone jobs and they had mentioned this firm that you could work from home taking calls and orders for a home delivery pizza parlor in Toronto. They didn't say what the name of it was and I tried googling it but nothing comes up. So just wanted to see if any of you guys knew about it. I thought it sounded interesting. Thanks and take care.

Shelly

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Shelly & list:
The Pizza Parlor in Toronto with home workers I believe is:
Pizza Pizza their order line is (416) 9677-1111
Not sure of their adman number. Perhaps ORDER line transfers you.

Friend of mine worked in their Downtown Toronto call center. Had a couple of calls where someone described him and which way he was looking. Said the draperies on the windows were closed, gave him the creeps. Was obviously someone in the call center who was line-of-sight to his desk. He quit after these calls started.

Said they used to get prank calls, sending Pizza to someone who had not ordered it. Said the day they got caller ID on their lines, these games stopped.

If you are in Canada, should be no problem working for them. Not sure if they will hire Americans. Not sure if the same firm works in USA under a different name. They are biggest Pizza Parlor in Canada.

Another firm to try is Swiss Chalet BBQ & Rotisserie in Concord, Ontario or Vaughan, Ontario.
Parent firm is Cara Operations, a privately held firm operates Harvey's hamburgers, other fast food. They are in Vaughan Ontario or Concord, Ontario.

There is also St. Hubert BBQ, Montreal, QC. They operate chicken restaurants & do home-delivery. Check the Montreal White Pages for their number.
Cara may be in town of Vaughan, Ontario, not Concord.

Brian K. Lingard VE3YI, Ab2JI, B.. A., C. T. M.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shelly Kane
Sent: February 3, 2019 2:29 AM
To: tech talk <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] customer service jobs

Hi group:

Shelly

Carolyn Arnold

Here, the last few times I ordered pizza, which has been quite a while, but they called back to confirm order.

Best regards,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 7:48 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] customer service jobs

Dear Shelly & list:
Pizza Pizza their order line is (416) 9677-1111 Not sure of their adman number. Perhaps ORDER line transfers you.

Friend of mine worked in their Downtown Toronto call center. Had a couple of calls where someone described him and which way he was looking. Said the draperies on the windows were closed, gave him the creeps. Was obviously someone in the call center who was line-of-sight to his desk. He quit after these calls started.

Said they used to get prank calls, sending Pizza to someone who had not ordered it. Said the day they got caller ID on their lines, these games stopped.

If you are in Canada, should be no problem working for them. Not sure if they will hire Americans. Not sure if the same firm works in USA under a different name. They are biggest Pizza Parlor in Canada.

Another firm to try is Swiss Chalet BBQ & Rotisserie in Concord, Ontario or Vaughan, Ontario.
Parent firm is Cara Operations, a privately held firm operates Harvey's hamburgers, other fast food. They are in Vaughan Ontario or Concord, Ontario.

There is also St. Hubert BBQ, Montreal, QC. They operate chicken restaurants & do home-delivery. Check the Montreal White Pages for their number.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shelly Kane

Hi group:

Shelly

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Shelly, Dave & List:

At least if you work for AAA, you know you are dealing with an employer who probably treats the hired help ethically. Problems can arise if you do not work directly for AAA, but work for a Labor Contractor which AAA hires to do their telephone work.

Mot sure of the reputation of AAA in the USA. Asked a friend who is a CAA member what he thought of them. He said they are fantastic! Car needs a boost, they send a truck with every automotive battery in creation on board! If you need a battery replacement, they remove your old battery, sell you a new one, give you a boost, tell you to go for a highway drive for 60 miles or so to charge up the new battery.

I do not drive, however, belong to CAA member. Friend of mine and I were sitting in his car in a Sears Parkade, reading a book together. He tried to start his car to drive me home. The starter gave a thunk then quit. He said now what do we do> I said I am a CAA member! Dialed 1-800-CAA-HELP on my cell phone. The live person answered on the first ring! CAA how can we help? I said my membership number was ..., we are on level two of the Sears Parkade at St. Laurent Shopping Center, Ottawa, Ontario. The car will not start. Is not my car, is a friend's. They said no problem as long as you are present with your membership card!

A Service truck has just been dispatched. Due to arrive in 45 minutes.

We sit there, reading the book. 45 minutes later, almost to the second, around the corner comes a CAA Roadside Assist truck. We wave. He pulls in beside us. Asks what is up. Car will not start. He gets out his booster cables, boosts the car, says run motor at highway speed for about 30 minutes as we have an alternator, not generator, asks to see my membership card, glances at it for a moment, hops into his truck and drives to his next call! That is what I call A1 Service!

I joined CAA which is granted reciprocal privileges by AAA in the USA because they rate many hotels, motels campgrounds & restaurants. If you are a CAA or AAA member and are of the opinion the Inn you chose because of its high diamond rating does not deserve half of its rating, you may write to the AAA or CAA Hotel rating service, quote your membership number and describe why you think the establishment is overrated. If they receive six letters like this in one year, they send out the hotel raters to check on prevailing conditions at the Inn. If necessary, they will re--rate the house and let the manager and owners know why they re-rated it. Alternatively, if you think the house deserves a higher rating, they will re-rate it upgrading their rating if deserved.

If you are not a member, your comments are disregarded. CAA runs a travel agency whose slogan is "Travel with someone you trust."

Never heard this slogan used for AAA travel in the USA. In Canada, CAA Travel is a highly regarded operation. Has never gone bust, leaving travellers stranded in foreign lands, with dishonored airline tickets and Innkeepers who have not been paid for your stay, so present you with the bill for your stay! This happened with several big travel agents and one tour operator in Canada years ago when interest rates went crazy in the 1980's. One tour operator was Sun Tours, their parent firm, Caladine & Baldry Travel went broke one day. I believe another large firm was P. Lawson Travel, an Australian travel agent. The smaller travel agents dropped like flies, as did many US travel agents, tour operators etc.

The original travel agent in the World, Thomas Cook & Son survived! They gave us the expression "You are getting the Cook's Tour" if you encounter road detours going somewhere, detouring along makeshift roadways past the construction job.

Where yiou make greaat money working for AAA or CAA is during a deep cold snap! This is when drivers learn their battery is either good or worn out! If it is a Sears Die HHard, it will start the car on the first turn of the starter motor on the coldest winter morning in Nome, Alaska! So evem if Minneapolis-St. Paaul, Minnesota is -522 FF., oplus the wind chill, you know your car will staart fine. However, if it is four or five years old, get out the booster fcables aned flag edown another motorist to get a boost. The first rule of boosting cars is the person needing the boost hooks up the cables to the car giving the boost. This way, if the cables are hooked up backwards, they did it, not the driver providing the boost. One time my father went to his car to come home from work at Canadian Tire, a major Canadian car parts, tire, power & hand tool seller as well as home improvements, such as paint, lawn mowers, roto tillers etc. His former boss found his big Buoick needed a boost. My father offered him booster cables which his former boss hooked up. As it turned out, when he touched the ignition key, he realized he hooked up the cables for a Positive ground car, as in the days of 6 volt electrical systems. Flames flew out from his ehngihne comppartment. He phoned his dealer who sent a tow truck to bring his car to the shop. In the mid 1960's, his servbice manager said there was hope, the ccar coulfd bnbee reppaoired! It rrequired a new alternator, regulatotr, battery, radio, window wiper motors, head, tail, parking & turn signal lights as well as all new wires. Cost? One thousand Dollars! The man liked his car, therefore, he paid for the repairs rather than scrap it. Funny thing, he had been Manager of the Battery Department at Canadian Tire for several years, after cars were 12-volt! Man, ddid he ever feel dumb!
Brian K. Lingard VE3YI, Ab2JI, B. A., C. T. M.
Sent: February 4, 2019 1:50 AM

Dave:

Thanks for responding. That's kind of what I'm looking for. If you wouldn't mind, could you please get me the contact information? Thanks in advance.

Shelly

On 2/3/2019 5:33 PM, Dave wrote:
Hello Shelly,
Work at Home job, working for Triple A. (AAA)
They pay you by the call, rather than by the hour. the most you could

My guess is that you may make closer to $6 to $8 an hour. But, it is
working at home.

Grumpy Dave

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Shelley & List:

Call the big US Pizzeria firms, Domino's, Papa John's, Pizza Nova etc. as well as local Pizzerias. They may be able to let you enter orders & payment information from home. Smaller Pizzerias are often family owned & operated, may be understanding as to your need to work from home rather than at their Pizzeria. Will help if you speak fluent Italian! Italians like to help out other Italians, especially if they have a disability. If you speak good Spanish, US telephone work is probably for you.
Other Pizzerias in Canada may employ homeworkers. Phone around. The big hotel chains, such as Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, Motel 6 etc. may use homeworkers. Ask your state or Federal employment service or a public librarian if they have info on firms using home workers. Nott sure if airlines use home workers, believe none do, however, Alamo, Avis, Budget etc. Car rental may. Alamo has a program to train blind people to use their reservation service, believe they also have home workers. If they want to refer you to an organization reputed to place blind & partially-sighted people in jobs, including work at home jobs, be wary. Most of these firms will not place you if you use s screenreader or more than 2X magnification, claiming you will not be able to work fast enough to keep up with the calls. However, the IRS, one of the places they hire home workers for has dozens of its staff accepting tax forms using screen readers.

Sent: February 4, 2019 1:53 AM

No, I haven't done that yet but I definitely will. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking for jobs that are entry level and that need no experience necessary. So that's why when someone mentioned this type of job, it caught my attention. I definitely want to check out the one from Triple A as well when Dave gets me the contact information. Take care and thanks.

Shelly

On 2/3/2019 5:39 PM, joseph Hudson wrote:

Hi group:

Dave

When I considered working Customer Service, something I have done
before, I try to see how many calls they expect me to handle in an hour,
or per shift.

It seems that many C/S jobs are highly monitored, and have some very
high call level expectations.

Less that 6 minutes per call, to be on and off the call and on to the
next caller.

6 minutes may sound like a long time, and it is if you are trying to
hold your Breath.  However, it can take 6 minutes just to figure out
what some customers are wanting, let alone being able to relay an
appropriate answer.

Then if you need to wait for a slow Database, like at my last job, the
pressure and expectations were ridiculess!

When I worked Tech Support, there were calls that took well over an
hour, and yet, my boss at the time, reminded me to get off and get on to
the next caller in just a few minutes.

I came to hate being hurried along, and to then be forced to hurry along
the customer.

One place I looked into recently was expecting me to handle 80 customers
a shift, which was 10 an hour.   And we were to handle up to 150 Emails
as well!

So 80 calls, plus 150 Emails per 8 hour shift?  No Way would I be able
to handle that many customers.

I so wanted to just talk with someone at the Business and ask them, Are
you really expecting someone to handle 230 customers in 8 hours?  Or is
this just some Number someone hat has never done real Customer Service
has come up with to keep the Bean Counters Happy?

I don't mind doing a full days work, but I do mind when the Boss expects
me to complete two days work in one, and then be Cheerful, Helpful and
Polite all at the same time.

Oh, and be paid something around minimum wage.

Not possible for me!

Grumpy Dave

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.

Grumpy Dave, what you had to share reminded me of the time I worked at
Teletech as an Internet Support Technician. Internet was practically in its
infancy in some shape or form. Netscape was the best browser that was
somewhat usable then by a blind individual; Explorer was OK, but was barely
accessible.

I was put on the GTE Internet Project; a few others were on the AT&T Project
and they made a lot more pennies than I did. My pay was $11 an hour and I
felt like I was ranked close to the Prime Minister of any country. LWG ...
Life was Good!

It turned out that we had only 90 seconds to resolve a customer's issue and
send them along. My shift was 6 A.M. to 2 P.M. Whenever a blind GTE
customer would call in, the call was always routed to me since I used a
screen reader and all others in the gang knew not what that was all about.
But, 90 seconds to resolve an issue that sometimes required resetting of the
modem and complete reconfiguration of the Internet protocol? And, I must
write notes that other CSR's can refer to should the customer call again and
another individual happens to grab the call.

Anyway, an irate naval officer called; he, according to him, had served in
the Navy for 31 years! I thanked him for his service, but he wouldn't have
none of that. All he wanted was to be able to connect, using his dial-up
second-line phone, to the Internet over the GTE network. I reviewed what
another CSR had done and discovered that the notes were incoherent and hard
to follow. Fortunately for me, I succeeded in calming his spirits and he
was willing to work with me. Ok, i got his service reconfigured, had him
connect to the Internet three times, and then said my goodbye still thanking
him for his service to our dear country.

He asked to speak to a supervisor and I was sure my work day was over.
Luckily for my wee, small head, he gave me glowing tributes, told the
supervisor that I was the one who actually did the right thing for him with
respect to his being able to connect to the Internet. He told my supervisor
that I deserved whatever accolades a CSR gets for doing a good job. My
supervisor, a lady, thanked him joyfully and I thought she was impressed.

After he hung up, I was asked to put myself on-hold and go to the office.
Wow, my day is definitely over, no doubt! In the office, she confirmed that
my notes were the best ones to follow and understand; she stated that I was
doing a good job, but I was spending more than 90 seconds and it was
unacceptable. I left the office, took a 15-minute break, spent nearly 10
minutes of it in the bathroom questioning myself: "Should I do a shoddy
job, or should I truly make sure that a customer's issue is genuinely
resolved?" I resolved that the latter is my better preference.

Two weeks later, I turned in my letter of resignation because I could not in
clear conscience provide a very poor service to a customer and force such a
one to call in ten or more times to have his or her issue resolved. I
questioned whether or not I am fit for work in a corporate environment;
though the incident I narrated occurred back in 1997-98, I still DO NOT have
an answer to my own question.

I understand how you felt when you were working at the call center; the
pressures are immense and managers are always trying to outsmart each other
with quota completions and ratings. At a Pizza Hut call center where I had
worked before going over to Teletech, a prospective customer who had called
in to order pizza supposedly knew the color of my skin and screamed all the
epithets he could think of into my ears. It so happened I was being
monitored by my supervisor who came over to grab the particular customer's
phone off my screen. Aside from canceling the pizza order, no idea what
transpired thereafter.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Dave

Hello Olusegun,

Hey, your own story brought back awful memories of my own.   Ha Ha!

For sure, the Quality of Service goes down when the Company will not
give the time to resolve the Customers problem.

You were expected to do all that in 90 seconds?   Sheesh!

My own low level was when I had the manager who was always on me for
taking too much time, and she limited me to 2 to 3 minutes at the very
most.

Finally, she crabbed at me so much, she decided to take it to her boss,
the owner, where she told him that I was taking far too long to resolve
problems.  Guess she was hoping to be able to give me the
Boot, or at least a dire warning of a Boot to come if I didn't trim down
my phone times.

I was told the owner told her to let me handle the calls the way I
handle them, since it seems to be helping customers.    I was told she
was quite upset.

And she ended up picking on my work a different way.  She would listen
for me to help customers that had a program too old for support. 
Someone might call it and ask how to do some simple thing, which I could
give the answer quickly, and I am on to the next call.  But she had a
Bone to  pick and she would catch me giving help to someone that should
not get help, and she would let me know about it.

I then began telling her of the many customers that I had helped with
the older program, and then in a day or two, they would call back and
want to order the Upgrade, which I had told them about during the
quickie call the day before.

My manager was so tightly focused upon getting the money to come in, she
failed to see that a non-pushy demanding answer, that allowed people to
make up their own minds worked well when it came to sales.

She was a High Energy, Pushy Take ultra Control of the call kind of
person.  She would tell the customer what they were going to do, and she
did it quickly.

The problem is that few like to be pressured that much, and they will
remember that pushy rude Salesman, and by god, that product better work
way above and beyond all expectations, because if it doesn't, that same
customer will be back yelling screaming and will be almost impossible to
make happy.

But she was all about doing what ever it took to grab the money and run
on to the next call.

I finally quit when she started refusing customers a full refund of
their money.   The Company had a 30 day Money Back Guarantee, and
Customers were told they could return our program for any reason, and if
it was within 30 days of purchase, they would receive their full money
back minus shipping.

She didn't care.  She refused to give people their money back, and it
was awful.

The owner took a long time, but he eventually removed her, but the
damage has been done, and right now his Company is fighting to stay alive.

<Smile>  Well, guess this doesn't really have much to do with Tech
stuff, other than those looking for work in the field might take warning.

Grumpy Dave

Shelly Kane

Brian:

Thank you so much for the information.  I greatly appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'm in New York so it would be really far for me. I'm actually looking into something else at the moment.  Thanks again for everything.

Shelly

On 2/8/2019 7:48 AM, Brian K. Lingard wrote:
Dear Shelly & list:
Pizza Pizza their order line is (416) 9677-1111
Not sure of their adman number. Perhaps ORDER line transfers you.

Hi group:

Shelly

Shelly Kane

Dave:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us being a customer service rep.  It does sound very stressful and my friend who can see does that job as well and she doesn't care for it.  I thought it was a good way to help others but not at what you described. It sounds totally insane and no way would I do that.  I was going to do a program for customer service many years back where they teach you all of the ins and outs and it just wasn't for me.  I'm looking into another avenue but not sure if it will work out  A friend told me about call monitoring and she said it was very boring but I think I could handle that more than taking the calls.  I definitely do not want a stressful job especially when they don't make much.  I think that is terrible that customer service reps are paid so low for what they put up with.  Take care and thanks again.  I'm a people person and I loved answering phones when I did it years ago but there is no way I could do it at that pace.

Shelly

On 2/8/2019 9:00 PM, Dave wrote:
or per shift.

next caller.

hold your Breath.  However, it can take 6 minutes just to figure out
appropriate answer.

the customer.

a shift, which was 10 an hour.   And we were to handle up to 150 Emails
as well!

So 80 calls, plus 150 Emails per 8 hour shift?  No Way would I be able

you really expecting someone to handle 230 customers in 8 hours? Or is

Not possible for me!

Grumpy Dave

Pamela Dominguez

The Commission was trying to get me into telephone sales and/or customer service. I told them no way. I said I wouldn't be able to handle the stress. I already get headaches; I don't need that! It's ridiculous how much they wanted you to do! What did they think you were; a robot? Pam.

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 9:00 PM

or per shift.

next caller.

hold your Breath. However, it can take 6 minutes just to figure out
appropriate answer.

the customer.

a shift, which was 10 an hour. And we were to handle up to 150 Emails
as well!

So 80 calls, plus 150 Emails per 8 hour shift? No Way would I be able

you really expecting someone to handle 230 customers in 8 hours? Or is

Not possible for me!

Grumpy Dave

Pamela Dominguez

Wow! 90 seconds to do all that! That is totally ridiculous! I don't blame you for handing in your resignation after that. Pam.

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 10:51 PM

Grumpy Dave, what you had to share reminded me of the time I worked at
Teletech as an Internet Support Technician. Internet was practically in its
infancy in some shape or form. Netscape was the best browser that was
somewhat usable then by a blind individual; Explorer was OK, but was barely
accessible.

I was put on the GTE Internet Project; a few others were on the AT&T Project
and they made a lot more pennies than I did. My pay was $11 an hour and I
felt like I was ranked close to the Prime Minister of any country. LWG ...
Life was Good!

It turned out that we had only 90 seconds to resolve a customer's issue and
send them along. My shift was 6 A.M. to 2 P.M. Whenever a blind GTE
customer would call in, the call was always routed to me since I used a
screen reader and all others in the gang knew not what that was all about.
But, 90 seconds to resolve an issue that sometimes required resetting of the
modem and complete reconfiguration of the Internet protocol? And, I must
write notes that other CSR's can refer to should the customer call again and
another individual happens to grab the call.

Anyway, an irate naval officer called; he, according to him, had served in
the Navy for 31 years! I thanked him for his service, but he wouldn't have
none of that. All he wanted was to be able to connect, using his dial-up
second-line phone, to the Internet over the GTE network. I reviewed what
another CSR had done and discovered that the notes were incoherent and hard
to follow. Fortunately for me, I succeeded in calming his spirits and he
was willing to work with me. Ok, i got his service reconfigured, had him
connect to the Internet three times, and then said my goodbye still thanking
him for his service to our dear country.

He asked to speak to a supervisor and I was sure my work day was over.
Luckily for my wee, small head, he gave me glowing tributes, told the
supervisor that I was the one who actually did the right thing for him with
respect to his being able to connect to the Internet. He told my supervisor
that I deserved whatever accolades a CSR gets for doing a good job. My
supervisor, a lady, thanked him joyfully and I thought she was impressed.

After he hung up, I was asked to put myself on-hold and go to the office.
Wow, my day is definitely over, no doubt! In the office, she confirmed that
my notes were the best ones to follow and understand; she stated that I was
doing a good job, but I was spending more than 90 seconds and it was
unacceptable. I left the office, took a 15-minute break, spent nearly 10
minutes of it in the bathroom questioning myself: "Should I do a shoddy
job, or should I truly make sure that a customer's issue is genuinely
resolved?" I resolved that the latter is my better preference.

Two weeks later, I turned in my letter of resignation because I could not in
clear conscience provide a very poor service to a customer and force such a
one to call in ten or more times to have his or her issue resolved. I
questioned whether or not I am fit for work in a corporate environment;
though the incident I narrated occurred back in 1997-98, I still DO NOT have
an answer to my own question.

I understand how you felt when you were working at the call center; the
pressures are immense and managers are always trying to outsmart each other
with quota completions and ratings. At a Pizza Hut call center where I had
worked before going over to Teletech, a prospective customer who had called
in to order pizza supposedly knew the color of my skin and screamed all the
epithets he could think of into my ears. It so happened I was being
monitored by my supervisor who came over to grab the particular customer's
phone off my screen. Aside from canceling the pizza order, no idea what
transpired thereafter.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Dave

Hello Shelly,

Helping folks, for me, was a very Rewarding job.  The job fit me like a
Glove, and so I stayed in it for a couple of decades.

Only when Management started putting the Squeeze on such Departments,
did these jobs become Stress Pits, from Hell.

Like with other jobs, so often, they end up with Managers who are given
quotas and Expectations from others higher up, who have never answered a
phone in the lives, and yet they are the ones who make policy on such
jobs.  And of course, it always gets back to the Money Honey.    And
Management are always using Microscopes to find ways to trim expenses
for each department.  So up go the numbers of calls to be handled per
hour, and down go the wages, because someone will take these jobs.  And
when they Burn out, there will be others to replace them.

rather Cold and Clinical, and both the Phone Answering Employee and the
Customer, experiences the sometimes Crushing Squeeze.

I have yet to see a Business owner that is satisfied with a Healthy
profit.  If they made 1.5 Million last year, then this year, they have
goals to make 2 or 2.5 Million.   More Sales is great, but when the
sales stay the same, and to make a better bottom line means staff needs
to be cut, and other areas need to be adjusted, so more Customers can be
processed by fewer people. this sort of trimming off the Fat can only go
so far, before Management is now cutting too far, and the remaining
staff are not able to cover the work loads, but are exspected to do so.  .

The Managers get their Bonus because they met their Goals, but the
Company and Customers, and eventually Sales all Suffer because some are
so short sighted.

Poor Service is common these days, although, I am starting to see a
slight effort by some to bring back some Healthy Support for Customers,
but we still have a long way to go.

If I were going to go back into Tech or Customer Service, I would try to
find a job working for a small 10 to 30 employee Business. These too can
be overly Micro-Managed Hell Pits, but the much larger places such as
the large National Companies have the Machine well oiled and people like
you and I can get Ground up in the Corporate Machine.

Good Luck,

Grumpy Dave

Carolyn Arnold

I remember, when I was Social Work secretary and case aide. I took a call from a young man about 30 years old. He was intelligent, wonderful voice and attitude, was losing his sight. I believe he had diabetes and multiple sclerosis, but it could have been something else; this was about 45 years ago, so fuzzy on the cause of the problem. Anyway, we discussed challenges and services and referrals. We laughed and nearly cried too, very meaningful interview that I'll never forget; the guy's name was Mike, I remember that.

So, when I got off, my boss really laid into me. She was an OK boss, so her laying in wasn't what I'd want, but she was not a one to try to demolish you. I said to her something to the effect of:

"Yoju are right, the call was very long, and I realize that. But, that guy is dying, and before we got off, he thanked me for help with a little bit of joi d'vivre thrown in."

Best regards,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:01 PM

When I considered working Customer Service, something I have done before, I try to see how many calls they expect me to handle in an hour, or per shift.

It seems that many C/S jobs are highly monitored, and have some very high call level expectations.

Less that 6 minutes per call, to be on and off the call and on to the next caller.

6 minutes may sound like a long time, and it is if you are trying to hold your Breath. However, it can take 6 minutes just to figure out what some customers are wanting, let alone being able to relay an appropriate answer.

Then if you need to wait for a slow Database, like at my last job, the pressure and expectations were ridiculess!

When I worked Tech Support, there were calls that took well over an hour, and yet, my boss at the time, reminded me to get off and get on to the next caller in just a few minutes.

I came to hate being hurried along, and to then be forced to hurry along the customer.

One place I looked into recently was expecting me to handle 80 customers a shift, which was 10 an hour. And we were to handle up to 150 Emails as well!

So 80 calls, plus 150 Emails per 8 hour shift? No Way would I be able to handle that many customers.

I so wanted to just talk with someone at the Business and ask them, Are you really expecting someone to handle 230 customers in 8 hours? Or is this just some Number someone hat has never done real Customer Service has come up with to keep the Bean Counters Happy?

I don't mind doing a full days work, but I do mind when the Boss expects me to complete two days work in one, and then be Cheerful, Helpful and Polite all at the same time.

Not possible for me!

Grumpy Dave

Carolyn Arnold

I hope that there are some blind or visually impaired people working for Consumer Cellular. They have tip top customer service. I could not say enough on their behalf. One time, they took an hour to try to get my LG TRU flip phone to work, finally said that it could be corrupted. So I talked to them about replacement and got a wonderful deal on my little SE. Anytime I call them, it's just like I made their day, that they were just waiting to hear from me.

Best regards,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Saturday, February 9, 2019 1:54 AM

Hello Olusegun,

Hey, your own story brought back awful memories of my own. Ha Ha!

For sure, the Quality of Service goes down when the Company will not give the time to resolve the Customers problem.

You were expected to do all that in 90 seconds? Sheesh!

My own low level was when I had the manager who was always on me for taking too much time, and she limited me to 2 to 3 minutes at the very most.

Finally, she crabbed at me so much, she decided to take it to her boss, the owner, where she told him that I was taking far too long to resolve problems. Guess she was hoping to be able to give me the Boot, or at least a dire warning of a Boot to come if I didn't trim down my phone times.

I was told the owner told her to let me handle the calls the way I handle them, since it seems to be helping customers. I was told she was quite upset.

And she ended up picking on my work a different way. She would listen for me to help customers that had a program too old for support. Someone might call it and ask how to do some simple thing, which I could give the answer quickly, and I am on to the next call. But she had a Bone to pick and she would catch me giving help to someone that should not get help, and she would let me know about it.

person. She would tell the customer what they were going to do, and she
did it quickly.

make happy.

on to the next call.

their money. The Company had a 30 day Money Back Guarantee, and
back minus shipping.

She didn't care. She refused to give people their money back, and it
was awful.

<Smile> Well, guess this doesn't really have much to do with Tech

Grumpy Dave

Pamela Dominguez

That sounds really nice. More customer service should be like that. Pam.

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 11:24 AM

I hope that there are some blind or visually impaired people working for Consumer Cellular. They have tip top customer service. I could not say enough on their behalf. One time, they took an hour to try to get my LG TRU flip phone to work, finally said that it could be corrupted. So I talked to them about replacement and got a wonderful deal on my little SE. Anytime I call them, it's just like I made their day, that they were just waiting to hear from me.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Sent: Saturday, February 9, 2019 1:54 AM

Hello Olusegun,

Hey, your own story brought back awful memories of my own. Ha Ha!

For sure, the Quality of Service goes down when the Company will not give the time to resolve the Customers problem.

You were expected to do all that in 90 seconds? Sheesh!

My own low level was when I had the manager who was always on me for taking too much time, and she limited me to 2 to 3 minutes at the very most.

Finally, she crabbed at me so much, she decided to take it to her boss, the owner, where she told him that I was taking far too long to resolve problems. Guess she was hoping to be able to give me the Boot, or at least a dire warning of a Boot to come if I didn't trim down my phone times.

I was told the owner told her to let me handle the calls the way I handle them, since it seems to be helping customers. I was told she was quite upset.

And she ended up picking on my work a different way. She would listen for me to help customers that had a program too old for support. Someone might call it and ask how to do some simple thing, which I could give the answer quickly, and I am on to the next call. But she had a Bone to pick and she would catch me giving help to someone that should not get help, and she would let me know about it.

person. She would tell the customer what they were going to do, and she
did it quickly.

make happy.

on to the next call.

their money. The Company had a 30 day Money Back Guarantee, and
back minus shipping.

She didn't care. She refused to give people their money back, and it
was awful.

<Smile> Well, guess this doesn't really have much to do with Tech

Grumpy Dave