How do I get microsoft voices to be in both core voices and sapi folders?

I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mohamed

You can add OneCore voices to SAPI with a registry hack.

On 2/20/2019 11:38 PM, Missa wrote:
I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

I figured out how to edit the voices I wanted to use. However, I still
haven't figured out how to have NVDA show all of the voices that I
have downloaded/available. in SAPI or Onecore I think.
What is thedifference between the two anyway?

On 2/21/19, Mohamed <malhajamy@gmail.com> wrote:
You can add OneCore voices to SAPI with a registry hack.

On 2/20/2019 11:38 PM, Missa wrote:
I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and
James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth
in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mohamed

OneCore is a newer speech API for Microsoft voices introduced in Windows 10. The most notable difference is that OneCore voices are slightly more responsive than SAPI, and as far as I know it only allows Microsoft voices, no additional voices from third parties can be added.

On 2/21/2019 11:42 PM, Missa wrote:
I figured out how to edit the voices I wanted to use. However, I still
haven't figured out how to have NVDA show all of the voices that I
have downloaded/available. in SAPI or Onecore I think.
What is thedifference between the two anyway?

On 2/21/19, Mohamed <malhajamy@gmail.com> wrote:
You can add OneCore voices to SAPI with a registry hack.

On 2/20/2019 11:38 PM, Missa wrote:
I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and
James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth
in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Smiling?

To get to all of the SAPI's upon your system, the steps below should get you to each of them.

Go to the directory by using Windows Key+R and type:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

Open up the file using enter and you will then be as if you went to the control panel speech tab with the various options. Now you should see all of the SAPI's you might have on the 64Bit machine.

I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for this. I saved the command for future use. How do you found it out?

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@...> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you for that. I guess it doesn't matter if the voices are under
SAPI then if onecore are more responsive or whatever. I'm still
puzzled as to why all of them didn't show up as options in NVDA when I
chose that synth to use.
One core are more responsive to use--still doesn't keep up all the way
with my typing--but does a lot better than SAPI.
My next question would be why did the default change for language for
my computer once i downloaded these voices.

What I'm meaning that instead of using English--US for my spellcheck
in MS Office it has switched between AU, GB, and CA which is really
annoying since I have auto correct entries to make typing faster in
word. I've had to re-ad all of my shortcuts because of that.
I've tried editing the languages in MS Office, but it doesn't take
even if I follow the directions to do so. That is in the region and
language setting in windows main settings, word options section, and
the language selection under the review tab.
Any ideas? I'm thinking I'm having trouble because they're varients of
English and not whole new languages.

On 2/22/19, Smiling? <blind7@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
To get to all of the SAPI's upon your system, the steps below should get you
to each of them.

Go to the directory by using Windows Key+R and type:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

Open up the file using enter and you will then be as if you went to the
control panel speech tab with the various options. Now you should see all of
the SAPI's you might have on the 64Bit machine.

I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and
James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you--you're right.
After you said that I switched to the same voice but onecore synth and
there is a big difference as to how it sounds. It still mispronounces
words and I've had to add a lot of speech dictionary settings since I
had to switch, but it is better.

thanks again

On 2/22/19, Mohamed <malhajamy@gmail.com> wrote:
OneCore is a newer speech API for Microsoft voices introduced in Windows
10. The most notable difference is that OneCore voices are slightly more
responsive than SAPI, and as far as I know it only allows Microsoft
voices, no additional voices from third parties can be added.

On 2/21/2019 11:42 PM, Missa wrote:
I figured out how to edit the voices I wanted to use. However, I still
haven't figured out how to have NVDA show all of the voices that I
have downloaded/available. in SAPI or Onecore I think.
What is thedifference between the two anyway?

On 2/21/19, Mohamed <malhajamy@gmail.com> wrote:
You can add OneCore voices to SAPI with a registry hack.

On 2/20/2019 11:38 PM, Missa wrote:
I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and
James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth
in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Using that command I only have 3 voices installed according to it:
David, Hazel, and Zira. bleh
I can't seem to find out how to get the other ones to show-up.

On 2/22/19, Smiling? <blind7@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
To get to all of the SAPI's upon your system, the steps below should get you
to each of them.

Go to the directory by using Windows Key+R and type:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

Open up the file using enter and you will then be as if you went to the
control panel speech tab with the various options. Now you should see all of
the SAPI's you might have on the 64Bit machine.

I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and
James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mohamed

You can't get them to show up because they're part of OneCore and aren't in SAPI, which that control panel controls the settings for. If you want OneCore voices to appear in SAPI, you'll need to edit the registry.

On 2/23/2019 12:14 AM, Missa wrote:
Using that command I only have 3 voices installed according to it:
David, Hazel, and Zira. bleh
I can't seem to find out how to get the other ones to show-up.

On 2/22/19, Smiling? <blind7@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
To get to all of the SAPI's upon your system, the steps below should get you
to each of them.

Go to the directory by using Windows Key+R and type:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

Open up the file using enter and you will then be as if you went to the
control panel speech tab with the various options. Now you should see all of
the SAPI's you might have on the 64Bit machine.

I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and
James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gene

I don't think the responsiveness has anything to do with MSAPI.  It has to do with the synthesizer being used.  The newer class of synthesizers are generally far less responsive.  That's why a lot of blind people use a synthesizer of the older class, such as Eloquence, for work and a newer class synthesizer, with a more human sounding voice for straight reading.

People use MSAPI versions of Eloquence and some other older class synthesizers without responsiveness issues.

the One Core voices, however they are designed, may not have a responsiveness issue but not because of MSAPI not being used.

On 2/22/19, Smiling? <blind7@...> wrote:
> To get to all of the SAPI's upon your system, the steps below should get you
> to each of them.
>
> Go to the directory by using Windows Key+R and type:
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl
>
> Open up the file using enter and you will then be as if you went to the
> control panel speech tab with the various options. Now you should see all of
> the SAPI's you might have on the 64Bit machine.

Do not at all recall. Just something I’ve picked up over the years no different than everybody else. Different walks, different talks, different ways of being and doing for each and every single one of us.

I'm still wondering how to do this. I have two folders.
C> windows>speechengines>TTS> EN-US
In that folder I only have 4 files for Zira.
When I choose SAPI for synth in pref I have:
David, Hazel, and Zira.
I have another folder C>windows>speech_oneCore>engines>TTS>
In there I have the EN-USS, EN-AU, EN-EA, EN-GB, EN-CA folders
When I select Windows One Core I have these as options:
George, David, Katherine, Hazel, Susan, Linda, Zira, Richard, Mark, and James

I would like to use Linda, she is in EN-CA, but I'm not sure how to
add her to the regular Speech folder for SAPI voice. I also have no
clue where the files for the other EN-US voices are in the regular
speech>engine>TTS folder
Anyone able to help me with this?

thanks

On 2/15/19, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@...> wrote:
I'm using NVDA 18.4 and windows 1803
I had issue with the synth I was using before windows update. I'm
attempting to migrate to using a different one. I downloaded a few
languages to get different voices to use. I have a couple in the sapi
folder and all of them in the core voices folder. However, I made
changes to one of the voices and it is for the sapi voices ... which
don't have the voices I want to try/use.
Where on my computer do I find these voices to edit?
How do I get them to be both in sapi and core voices options for synth in
NVDA?
I was only able to find one voice to edit though I have multiple
voices in both sapi and core voices.

Any help will be appreciated.

Smiling?

Why your language was changed, I don't have any idea unless for whatever reason when you were installing it the language changed (which seems to be the case, but you having SAPI's on your computer shouldn't do this even though it seems that it did). I'm not sure of any ideas, how long has it been this way?