writing checks?

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Hi guys,

This may not be technology related but maybe someone has an idea that I never thought of.

I’m completely blind and I would like to start writing checks, if one cannot see where to fill out the information, what creative methods does anyone have here to accomplish the task?

I’ll write someone a check for a dollar, if we can successfully come up with a method! 😊

Peter Spitz

There are check writing guides you can purchase for both standard and
legal size checks. Also, you can purchase embossed checks that have
raised lines on the field you need to fill in. Takes some practice
and the embossed checks are more expensive. I decided to just use a
check writing guide because it's cheaper and I rarely write a check.

On 3/8/19, Kimsan via Groups.Io <kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi guys,

This may not be technology related but maybe someone has an idea that I
never thought of.

I’m completely blind and I would like to start writing checks, if one cannot
see where to fill out the information, what creative methods does anyone
have here to accomplish the task?

I’ll write someone a check for a dollar, if we can successfully come up with
a method! 😊

Pamela Dominguez

When George opened up his account with Chemical bank, now Chase, years ago, he opened up what was apparently called the braille account. It meant that he got braille bank statements, and a check writing guide. It also has braille cells where you can write across the top what the check is in braille, and a place where you can braille on the stub. Then, it has all the rest of the lines where you print the stuff on the check. Once, when they changed check companies, we had to keep sending back checks until we got the ones that would work in the guide. Pam.

There are check writing guides you can purchase for both standard and
legal size checks. Also, you can purchase embossed checks that have
raised lines on the field you need to fill in. Takes some practice
and the embossed checks are more expensive. I decided to just use a
check writing guide because it's cheaper and I rarely write a check.

On 3/8/19, Kimsan via Groups.Io <kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi guys,

This may not be technology related but maybe someone has an idea that I
never thought of.

I’m completely blind and I would like to start writing checks, if one cannot
see where to fill out the information, what creative methods does anyone
have here to accomplish the task?

I’ll write someone a check for a dollar, if we can successfully come up with
a method! 😊

Holly

With all the online payment options available now, I only have to write one or two checks a year.

However, if you are not into doing that, there are check guides available.

I, myself, have a check printing program on my computer. When setting up the program, you scan your signature into the program and it even prints your signature on the checks that it prints. You use only blank check paper, so very secure that way. No checks laying around with your bank info.

Holly

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Peter:

Where can I purchase these?

There are check writing guides you can purchase for both standard and legal size checks. Also, you can purchase embossed checks that have raised lines on the field you need to fill in. Takes some practice and the embossed checks are more expensive. I decided to just use a check writing guide because it's cheaper and I rarely write a check.

On 3/8/19, Kimsan via Groups.Io <kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi guys,

This may not be technology related but maybe someone has an idea that
I never thought of.

I’m completely blind and I would like to start writing checks, if one
cannot see where to fill out the information, what creative methods
does anyone have here to accomplish the task?

I’ll write someone a check for a dollar, if we can successfully come
up with a method! 😊

Gerald Levy

The problem I have found with these check writing guides is that the slits for entering the various fields are so narrow that it is difficult to impossible to write legibly in them.  I could never masterthe the necessary dexterity to write legible checks with one of these guides.  And nobody seems to sell guides for those larger, embossed line checks, which would have larger slits.  So I do most of my banking online.  On those rare occasions when I need to write a check, I have somebody I can trust fill it out for me so that all I have to do is sign it.

Gerald

On 3/8/2019 11:47 AM, Peter Spitz wrote:
[...]

I can't write that small, either. But why would you need a guide for a raised-line check? You use the lines as a guide. That's why they are raised. Pam.

[...]

Here is a link to the Guideline Checks that are embossed for the
blind, Hope this helps. Peter
https://orderpoint.deluxe.com/personal-checks/products.htm?productCatalogId=9001&productsCategoryId=9004&productsSubCategoryId=6524#

[...]

Blaster

I bought my new one from the blind mice mega mall and it's much
better then the plain flat one I was using. This one is a clamshell
design, where the check fits inside it, then you fold it over so it
can't wiggle around under your fingers while you fill in the boxes.
Gerald is right, it takes a little practice writing in those slots,
but it's totally doable.

Here is a description:
https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Item_Detail?itemid=2662647

HTH,
Blaster

On 3/8/19, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

The one that came with the braille account is two pieces of metal held together by two rivets on one end. You slide the check in between the pieces. Pam.

[...]

But without such a  guide, how do you know which field is which? A partially sighted person may see sufficiently well enough to determine the right place  to begin writing above the embossed lines, which are really not very tactile in the first place, but not necessarily a totally blind person. To me, the raised lines just all seem to run together, and I cannot distinguish each field accurately enough to avoid writing straight across into the next adjacent field, or writing crooked into the field that is above or below.  So it would be helpful if somebody sold a special guide that would fit over large, embossed line checks that would have large slits for each field.

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 12:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Onwardbob

Hi Holly, where can I get that program and the blank check paper? Thanks

BOB SOUTAR.ONWARD THRU THE FOG

With all the online payment options available now, I only have to write one
or two checks a year.

However, if you are not into doing that, there are check guides available.

I, myself, have a check printing program on my computer. When setting up
the program, you scan your signature into the program and it even prints
your signature on the checks that it prints. You use only blank check
paper, so very secure that way. No checks laying around with your bank
info.

Holly

Sugar

Hello

Sorry if your questioned has been answered and this is just a repeat:

Your bank should provide you with the option to order checks that have raised lines.

I use Wells Fargo for my banking needs and they do have checks that have raised lines.

They are longer but the lines are raised and you can feel the lines where to write the information needed.

They are just like a regular check if you ever seen one before.

There are raised lines so that you know where to:

Write date on top right corner

Then there is a long raised line so you can write to whom the check is for.

The next line is where you write out the amount.

On the same line there is  a divided space where you write the number amount.

The next line that is raised is on the bottom left which is your Memo line

Then on the far right is where your sign your name

HTH

Sugar

"A day without a friend is like a pot without a drop of honey."

-Winnie the Pooh

Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

Hugs, Sugar