EMF and braille devices

heather albright

I do not know if anyone has looked in to EMF meters for their homes to monitor Bluetooth and  y-fi devices in their homes, the google home, the echo, the apple tv and the fire stick.  it also affects tvs, refrigs, and your local cell tower.   Here is what it stands for: EMF

Electromagnetic Field. Some may have seen a story about how it is causing brain cancer for those who use Bluetooth headsets and more recently it is causing cancer of the brain in school children who’s school is close to a cell tower in California.\

So to the point of this e-mail, first is there an accessible  EMF meter that the blind can use? And what about our lovely braille displays that use Bluetooth to connect to the pc and other devices? I want our accessible technology to be safe too. They should put that on the packaging. Also, if you want to limit your exposure, consider wired devices instead of Bluetooth. Not a problem for me as the sound is much better for listening. You can turn off your router at night and have in a separate location from the family. If that is not an option, you can move your smart speakers to the other side of the room from where you are located say about 4 to 5 ft. I know they have EMF shielding cases for your cell phones and your pc. They even have stickers you can use to protect  yourself from EMF admissions. Perhaps we could have some discussions about blindness technology and EMF on this list and find alternatives too do the same things without the exposure to EMF!

Cheers Heather

e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
An Accessible Online Library:
www.bookshare.org

Gene

I haven't seen anything indicating that EMF is causing cancer except in cases of very strong exposure, such as in those who wear blue tooth devices or hold cellular phones to their ears when they use them regularly.  What is your source for the school children story.  And how definitely was it stated that exposure to a near by radio tower is causing cancer?  Considering the FM radio transmitters are routinely located in the downtown areas of cities, where are the enormous numbers of cancer clusters that should have been found decades ago in workers working within perhaps a block or two of the towers?  Where are the cancer cases among amateur radio operators?  How about truck drivers, who used to, and perhaps still do, use CB transmitters a great deal?

II'm not assuming that nothing exists in terms of a correlation, I'm saying that you can't jump to conclusions and that there is reason for real skepticism about such accounts as you are relying on unless you really consider various aspects and evaluate the credibility of the source.  While it may be, I am not yet at all convinced that the kind of exposure you are concerned about, living near a radio tower, will cause problems.  From what I've read, which isn't much, there does appear to be concern about kinds of exposure such as from blue tooth devices like ear buds, where the radio signal goes directly into your ear canal and from there into your moves more or less directly into your brain or cell phone use as I described above.

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 12:03 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] EMF and braille devices

[...]

Also, radio signals as do all electromagnetic signals, grow weaker as you move away following the inverse square law.  As I recall, the signal grows weaker as the inverse square of the distance.  I was never good in math and I haven't applied the rule since high school, a long time ago.  But I really wouldn't worry about a router unless it is in your bedroom and even then, in line with my other comments, I'm not convinced worry is in order.  The signal loses strength rapidly as you move away from it.

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 12:03 AM

[...]

I found the story evidently being referred to.  Here is one account of the situation.

The article doesn't say the following:
That other work has been done to see if other causes are in the environment at the school, except for one sentence saying that water is being studied.

The article doesn't discuss cancer clusters.  As I understand it, there is a statistical possibility that a certain number of people may develop cancer in an area just for reasons of probability.

In short, while I'm not saying it is not possible, I'm saying that nothing can be conclusively concluded from this story.

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 12:03 AM

[...]

Matt Hackert

Good morning Heather,
Gene is correct in his assessment. Here's a little bit of further information. If you look on the web, the "EMF-causes-brain-cancer" belief has been discussed a lot. Every well-controlled study with large sample sizes has shown no statistically significant increase in the rates of brain cancer rates for those exposed to radio sources of electromagnetic radiation (another term for EMF). I will note one caveat, which is that long term studies don't really exist, because cell phones themselves have not been very prevalent for a long time, plus the shielding built into them has improved since they were first commercially adopted. It was initially cell phones which were originally feared to cause cancer; more recently, that was expanded to Wireless networking technology, and even more recently, to Bluetooth.

Another point to keep in mind is that we are constantly bathed in a soup of electromagnetic fields. The electromagnetic spectrum is light - it is radio waves, microwaves, visible light, infrared light, ultraviolet light, x-rays and gamma rays. We know very well that ultraviolet radiation and higher energy radiation (x-rays and gamma rays) are in fact carcinogenic, and the more energy, the more dangerous they are. However, backing down to visible light, and energies lower than that have been shown to be perfectly safe.

Radio waves, which are used to transmit wi-fi and bluetooth signals are much lower frequency, and the wavelengths are in most cases larger than the human body, and thus do not even really iteract with our tissues.

Also, to reiterate, electromagnetic fields surround us all the time. They are generated by electrical current traveling through the wiring of our homes, in every electronic device we operate, are transmitted by radio stations and cell phone towers. If you had an accessible detector, you would see that they are constantly around us; many naturally-occurring; some of them man-made.

I hope this is comforting, and if you're interested, I can do a little digging in order to share sound research on this topic. I just wanted to provide some immediate reassurance, and perhaps a bit of education about what's really going on with EMFs. The biggest danger of these fields comes with your phone potentially wiping clean the magnetic strip on your credit card or if you have a magnetic keycard to enter your apartment or place of employment. Even this is a somewhat less common event anymore, as cell phones are manufactured with stronger shielding.

Again, I welcome questions from anyone wishing to discuss further!

Best regards,
Matt

Sharon S

Hi, also the kids in the story all have different sorts of Cancer. So if they were all the same you would be looking at environment causes but since they are all different then are they caused by the same thing? Also you need to look at how many kids are at the school and the statistic of how many could get cancer.

From Shaz.

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 12:03 AM

[...]

And how close are the children to the radiation for how long?  For example, let's say they walk directly by the tower but most of their time is spent in the school or in parts of the playground that are not particularly close to it.

I'm not saying electromagnetic radiation from the tower isn't the cause, but I'm saying that reaching such a conclusion is very far from established.

Hi, also the kids in the story all have different sorts of Cancer. So if they were all the same you would be looking at environment causes but since they are all different then are they caused by the same thing? Also you need to look at how many kids are at the school and the statistic of how many could get cancer.

From Shaz.

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 12:03 AM

[...]

I will find the report it was redacted so they could not publish it. So what are they hiding! The mobile lobie is strong and they did not want it to get out! Heather

[...]

From Shaz.

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 12:03 AM

[...]

This subject has been researched for years by lots of scientists and you can find good research that has nothing to do with the mobile lobby.  This is another conspiracy theory.  I'm not saying no research exists that raises questions about microwave radiation.  It may.  I haven't looked closely.  But I've raised valid issues about the cancer cluster we are discussing and citing one allegedly redacted report doesn't address them nor what other general research has been done.

And how close are the children to the radiation for how long?  For example, let's say they walk directly by the tower but most of their time is spent in the school or in parts of the playground that are not particularly close to it.

I'm not saying electromagnetic radiation from the tower isn't the cause, but I'm saying that reaching such a conclusion is very far from established.

Hi, also the kids in the story all have different sorts of Cancer. So if they were all the same you would be looking at environment causes but since they are all different then are they caused by the same thing? Also you need to look at how many kids are at the school and the statistic of how many could get cancer.

From Shaz.