Nervous about upgrading to windows ten

Jamie

Hi, everyone,
I’ve heard a lot of good things about windows ten, but I’ve also heard that the accessibility leaves a lot to be desired. What is everyone’s opinions, should I upgrade now, or wait until later. And if I do upgrade now, are there things I need to know right away to begin using windows ten? If I do wait until later, might anyone have a suggestion as to how long to wait.
Or am I being too cautious about this whole thing? Thank you for all responses. I really appreciate it very much.
Jamie

Up to you. Accessibility is good under Windows 10. I would not wait too long, or you will have to pay for the upgrade rather than get it free. The offer expires next July 29.

On 28 Dec 2015, at 19:27, Jamie <jamdim@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi, everyone,
I’ve heard a lot of good things about windows ten, but I’ve also heard that the accessibility leaves a lot to be desired. What is everyone’s opinions, should I upgrade now, or wait until later. And if I do upgrade now, are there things I need to know right away to begin using windows ten? If I do wait until later, might anyone have a suggestion as to how long to wait.
Or am I being too cautious about this whole thing? Thank you for all responses. I really appreciate it very much.
Jamie

Allen West

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 28, 2015, at 1:37 PM, Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@icloud.com> wrote:

Up to you. Accessibility is good under Windows 10. I would not wait too long, or you will have to pay for the upgrade rather than get it free. The offer expires next July 29.
On 28 Dec 2015, at 19:27, Jamie <jamdim@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi, everyone,
I’ve heard a lot of good things about windows ten, but I’ve also heard that the accessibility leaves a lot to be desired. What is everyone’s opinions, should I upgrade now, or wait until later. And if I do upgrade now, are there things I need to know right away to begin using windows ten? If I do wait until later, might anyone have a suggestion as to how long to wait.
Or am I being too cautious about this whole thing? Thank you for all responses. I really appreciate it very much.
Jamie

IIf you are running Windows 8 or 8.1, upgrade right away. If you are running Windows 7, it will be ok to wait till March. I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and I am loving it.
Allen

Pamela Dominguez

All right; where is your message? Pam.

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Carlos

At the bottom. This is why I encourage members to post their replies at the
top. Bottom posting only confuses other members and forces everyone to work
harder.

[...]

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
And, with IOS, it actually puts you at the top of the message by default. When you hear insertion point at start, you're good to go.

[...]

Sent from a Braille Sense

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

at the bottom

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Jamie,

Windows 10 is largely as accessible as previous versions. The main issues are:

- The browser: Microsoft are pushing "Edge" as the new browser and so far it's pretty inaccessible. They still include Internet Explorer, however you need to choose it manually or set it as your default (and several Windows updates have reinstated Edge as the default browser which is really annoying).

- The Store: This is designed as Microsoft's central repository of apps and programs - much like Linux has had for years and Android and iOS have as well - sadly the store and most of the apps on it aren't overly accessible at this stage either, but you can definitely just ignore them and keep using the traditional programs you've been using.

The start menu works well though obviously has been redesigned from what you've used previously. The taskbar, desktop, system tray and many other features work much as previously. The system tray now includes an "Action Center" which you can get to by pressing WINDOWS+A which has all your notifications together so that's handy.

If upgrading be sure and check that the programs you use work with Windows 10 - most recent things should be fine, but if using adaptive technology for instance, make sure you have a version that will work - annoying to take advantage of the free upgrade but then find you need to shell out a couple hundred on a Jaws upgrade!

I listed the various AT versions needed here: https://22point.wordpress.com/#Windows

I've also got a book with lots of good info on upgrading and making the most of Windows 10: http://www.22point.com.au/publications.html

Finally, in terms of times - the free upgrade offer from Microsoft is only valid until the end of July 2016, so make sure you upgrade before then if you plan to. Note that you don't have to - if you are using Windows 10 and quite happy to stay with it, then you can do that and it will continue to be supported until 2020, with Windows 8 support ending a couple of years after that.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
22 Point

Web: http://www.22point.com.au
Check out our "Making Windows 10 Easy" eBooks and award winning app, RapiTap!

On 29/12/2015 6:27 AM, Jamie wrote:
Hi, everyone,
I’ve heard a lot of good things about windows ten, but I’ve also heard that the accessibility leaves a lot to be desired. What is everyone’s opinions, should I upgrade now, or wait until later. And if I do upgrade now, are there things I need to know right away to begin using windows ten? If I do wait until later, might anyone have a suggestion as to how long to wait.
Or am I being too cautious about this whole thing? Thank you for all responses. I really appreciate it very much.
Jamie

Carlos

Also, while I hate to play devil's advocate, it is worth noting the privacy
concerns that exist with Windows 10 and what can be done to help alleviate
them. See the following article.
https://fix10.isleaked.com/

[...]

Definitely, good point. The other thing to note with the free upgrade, is that the upgrade is for the life of that machine - so if you go out and buy a new computer, you'll need to get a new copy of Windows with it. You can upgrade your computer hard drive, ram etc, but if you change the motherboard / CPU then it's considered a new PC and will need a new license for windows (as best as I can find out).

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

On 29/12/2015 10:17 AM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

Matt

Well, you have a year from the time it came out to do it. So still have plenty of time. That is to get it free.

Now I personally think if you are running W8 version then it is a no brainer to update.

Now if you are running W7 I would say it is a choice but like I say there is no big hurry as of now.

I also think if you want to go ahead and play around with it is to do a dual boot and have both W7 and W10 your PC.

I would not dual boot with W8 I would just upgrade to w10 myself! JMT!