From: Holly
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 9:52 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Ring doorbell and echo dot. Trying to get two way communication enabled

Hi all:

I got a ring doorbell installed yesterday and have my echo dot set up to
alert me when it is activated. However, I have not been able to get the
intercom feature figured out.

I have the ring doorbell enabled in my Alexa skills. When I ask her to
'talk to the back door', she says that 'this Alexa enabled device does not
currently support that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Holly

Holly

Hi Robin:

According to what I was reading, I think the echo dot should be able to do this.

Will wait for more input.

Thanks,

Holly

Holly

Hi everyone:

I just realized there is a difference between the echo dot and the echo spot. The echo spot will do this, but not the echo dot.

Guess I will have to upgrade.

Holly

Billy Inglis

i, little late with this thread.
What is this door bell all about, and how does it work?.

--
All The Best
Billy

Holly

Hi Billy:

The ring doorbell is a small device that mounts near your outside door. It allows you to see who is at your door, and communicate with the person if you choose. It alerts you when someone is at the door and is connected by your home WI-fy to your smart phone or smart speaker.

It is sold on Amazon, so you can go and see what it is all about there.

I have decided to upgrade to an Amazon spot, so that I can talk to the person at the door without going into the app on my phone.

Holly

Alan Robbins <arobbin2@...>

I will have to see if this skill is available via Alexa on my Sonos system.
I find it a real pane to answer that doorbell on my app on the phone.

Al

The ring doorbell is a small device that mounts near your outside door. It
allows you to see who is at your door, and communicate with the person if
you choose. It alerts you when someone is at the door and is connected by
your home WI-fy to your smart phone or smart speaker.

It is sold on Amazon, so you can go and see what it is all about there.

I have decided to upgrade to an Amazon spot, so that I can talk to the
person at the door without going into the app on my phone.

Holly

Billy Inglis

thanks so much Holly, this is so helpful, but the amazon spot might be a better bet?.

On 26/03/2019 15:36, Holly wrote:
Hi Billy:
The ring doorbell is a small device that mounts near your outside door. It allows you to see who is at your door, and communicate with the person if you choose.  It alerts you when someone is at the door and is connected by your home WI-fy to your smart phone or smart speaker.
It is sold on Amazon, so you can go and see what it is all about there.
I have decided to upgrade to an Amazon spot, so that I can talk to the person at the door without going into the app on my phone.
Holly
--
All The Best
Billy

Holly

Yes Alan:

It is a real pain to open the app and try to find the talk button, as Voice Over does not announce it. You have to just try to find it with your finger if you know the general position. Still not easy, and there is a time lag to get all this accomplished.

Holly

Holly

Yes Billy:

I am getting the Amazon Spot, as you can talk to the person outside quickly and , if you need to, view the person on the screen.

Holly

Robin Frost

Hi,
That is one of my chief complaints about the device. I wish we could swipe down on a notification and have it appear as an option right there.
I do not believe either notifications or answering calls work on Sonos capable Echo products sorry.
Robin