Still no UnZip listing

Dave

Hello,

Well, I appreciate most of the suggestions given as to solving the lack
of an Unzip utility on my Win 7 System.

Gene, hindsight is always 20/20 so thank you for your excellent Hind
sight.    but as with most Hind Sight it is next to worthless at solving
an exsisting problem.  As they say, the Horse is already out of the
Barnb.      And Yes, it does come in handy for the next time something
goes Screwy on my System.

But today I am asking for help, from anyone, to help recapture my horse
and help me get it back into the Barn.

As for opening up the Shift F10 Menu, and just pressing S, for Seven
Zip.  This doesn't work, as there is no choice for Seven Zip on this menu.

I've even gone to Open With, and Brozed to the Seven Zip Folder, and
theoretically chose the Seven Zip Executable file.  but, once this has
been chosen, and I OK out of the two remaining screens, I still have no
choice for Seven Zip in any menu any where, ubt the Programs list in
Windows 7.

Why VLC has knocked out my Unzip capability, I have no clue.  I have
uninstalled the VLC media player, but once it was gone, the Unzip
utility did not magically return.

So, I've reinstalled VLC Media Player.

And to make this even more painful, I have two System that are exactly
alike.  The same make and model and version of Win 7.  And VLC media
player knocked Unzip out on both systems.

and Yes, Hind Sight is faultless.   Yep, I am Guilty of Assuming all
would be fine.  And of course, in this case, it isn't.

So if any should think of something else to try, when it comes to
reviving my Unzip utility, I am all Ears.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Smiling?

Due to my not following this particular thread all that much, I am not aware of whether or not anyone has yet suggested a simple system restore? It can be undone, just as it can be done. It may be something to try.

If not, I would remove 7Zip and simply reinstall it from ninite.com where you will not have to deal with toolbars and various third party softwares being installed.

[...]

Gene

I consider it negligent that Microsoft doesn't have system restore running on all machines by default.  It appears, it is turned off by default in Windows 10.  I'm not sure if it is at all your fault because I don’t know your level of knowledge about problems and how unexpected things can happen.  I do consider it to be largely Microsoft's fault or entirely, because they should not send a product into the field with a major recovery system turned off.  Most people either don't know about System Restore at all or they do and they assume it is on, just as it is on by default in earlier versions of Windows.

I wasn't assuming system restore would help now but I wrote about it in case it would and because it is likely to help next time.

As far as the menu is concerned,  you don't open the menu and type s.  You open the menu and type the number 7.  But that will only get you to or into the menu if it is there to begin with.  You say there is no 7zip menu.  So how do you get it added to the context menu?  I don't know if this will help or if it matters.  But it may be that if you installed the 32bit version of the program, it won't be added.  If you uninstall it and install the 64 bit version may cause it to be added.  You can see, I have no idea.

Also, if you want to try to add the old options you used to use, you can try that as well.  These options were in the registry so if you want to add them again, you will have to work with the registry or find a reliable utility that will add them again.

The actual utility is still there, but your access to it was removed.  List members may be able to tell you how to do this.  If not, perhaps the Microsoft disability service can help you do so.

[...]

System restore is not turned off by default within Windows10, but try to keep in mind that this has been only with 3 different Windows10 machines. I’ve personally seen system restore turned off though on more than one Windows machine, various OS’s over the years. So it obviously does happen for whatever reasons from time to time.

[...]

It appears that my assertion is correct.  See these two items:
"By default, System Restore is disabled on Windows 10, but when enabled and configured correctly, it can automatically create checkpoints, ...https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10"

I did see an item from The Windows Club that says that System restore is on in Windows 10 but that many who have upgraded have had it turned off.  However, based on what I saw in the entries I cited, I consider that statement to be likely incorrect.

[...]

Hello Gene,

What is my Skill level when it comes to Computers?

Let's put it this way, I Should Know Better!  And I do mean, I should
Really know better, but like the Professional Plumber who rarely fixes
his own House Plumbing until it is too late, I too am guilty of not
using the advise I would give someone else.

I have used Restore points before when something became Sideways, but
haven't made another Restore point since, which was at least a year
ago.  Owch!   Owch!  Owch!

So, I did know, but wrongly assumed, What could go wrong?

And I do find this humorous, and a bit embarrassing, as I am no Newby
Novice.   Not a total Pro either, but I have no excuse.

So, I thought I would ask the good people on this list to see if there
is something I might try to fix the problem.

<Laughing>  But, now that my Toilet is solidly plugged up, I am unable
to figure a way to get it unplugged.

So, I am still open to any advise that could help,

Grumpy Dave

Al

I can attest that windows restore is on and has been on since I upgraded to Windows 10 way back when.

Each time they roll out an update I make it a point to double check that its still on. I’ve learned to stay on top of this the hard way…

Al

[...]

the discussion brings up an important point.  Since Microsoft evidently has system Restore off in Windows 10, by default, maybe major Windows 10 updates turn it off again if the user has turned it on.  I just thought of that and I think that after a major Windows 10 update, users should check to see if it is on.

As for your problem, I am confident there are registry changes you can make to get the Windows zip utility to be displayed again.  It may be something you might want to do a search about and, if necessary, you can inquire of Microsoft Accessibility or on a site like Bleeping Computer, where geeks hang out and help with computer problems.  I'm not listing these options in order of preference, that's just the order I listed them in.  But it's very likely that a little work in the registry will solve the problem.

Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 10:02 AM

[...]

That's good.  But since you upgraded, that may not be what would be the case if you had gotten a new machine.  Then too, there is the possibility that different manufacturers might have system restore on or off.  Whatever the case, I've seen enough cases where it is off, unknown to the user, that I think it’s a good idea to check when you get or upgrade a computer and after a full Windows 10 update.

[...]

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Dave,

See if this helps.  I'm late to this thread so I don't know if you're missing the extract all option, 7Zip or both.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/160840-msi-file-add-extract-all-context-menu.html

Windows 7: MSI File - Add "Extract ALL" to Context Menu

MSI File - Add "Extract ALL" to Context Menu
How to Add "Extract All" to Context Menu of MSI Files in Windows
Published by
Brink
buttons/collapse_tcat
Published by
Brink

How to Add "Extract All" to Context Menu of MSI Files in Windows

information
 Information
Instead of having to install some 3rd party program to extract (unpack) the contents of a MSI file, this tutorial will show you how to add Extract All
to the context menu of MSI files in all users or only your user account to be able to extract all of the contents of a MSI file into a new folder at the
same location of the MSI file in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

EXAMPLE: "Extract All..." Added to the Context Menu of MSI Files
Name:  Example.jpg

Size:  36.3 KB

 OPTION ONE
Add or Remove "Extract All" to Context Menu of MSI Files in Only Your Account
1. To Add "Extract All" to Context Menu of MSI Files in Only your Account
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below.
Add_Extract_All_to_MSI_Context_Menu_Current_User.reg
download
2. To Remove "Extract All" from Context Menu of MSI Files in only your Account
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below.
Remove_Extract_All_from_MSI_Context_Menu_Current_User.reg
download
3. Save the .reg file to the desktop.

4. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

5. Click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC-Windows 7/8) or Continue (UAC-Vista), Yes, and OK when prompted.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

 OPTION TWO
Add or Remove "Extract All" to Context Menu of MSI Files for All Users
 NOTE: You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do this option.
1. To Add "Extract All" to Context Menu of MSI Files for All Users
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below.
Add_Extract_All_to_MSI_Context_Menu_All_Users.reg
download
2. To Remove "Extract All" from Context Menu of MSI Files for All Users
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below.
Remove_Extract_All_from_MSI_Context_Menu_All_Users.reg
download
3. Save the .reg file to the desktop.

4. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

5. Click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC-Windows 7/8) or Continue (UAC-Vista), Yes, and OK when prompted.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.
That's it,
 Shawn
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.

[...]

It's about zip files.  Extract all is missing and so is the 7zip menu.

[...]

Jaffar Sidek

Dave.  Have you tried the open with command?

On 3/26/2019 11:02 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

Yes I did attempt using the Open "With choice, and after Browsing to the
Seven Zip folder, matched it up to the EXE file but there is still no
listing for Exstracft All, or Seven Zip.

Now the werid thing is that Seven Zip came back on one of my Systems,
but I swear the only thing I did was to shut it down and re-boot the
silly thing.  And Poof!  There it was!

My first machine however is playing a bit more difficult.

but, I know I am getting closer.  Will work on it some more tonight.

Grumpy Dave

Curtis Delzer

again, press shift f10, then press the number 7, as in 1 2 3 4 5 . . .

and you'll find what you wish there. This assumes you are sitting on the file when you do this.

Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

On 3/26/2019 5:28 AM, Dave wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave. Try this:

1. go to search on your windows and type "7zip file manager". alternatively, you can press Control+Escape to bring up the start menu search,

tab twice to "all apps list", press number 7 key on the number row, to hear your screen reader say "7Zip" then press enter to expand the 7zip apps folder.  If you type as suggested above in the search box and the result comes up as desired, then just press enter.

The 7Zip file manager is now in focus.

2.  Press the alt key, then arrow right to tools, then press arrow down once to options.  Press enter.  You will land on the "system" tab.  Now herein lies the problem because if you press the the first two tabs, you will hear" "System Property Page, Associate 7Zip with Button, + button".  Unfortunately, the next tab just says "Plus Button", and that doesn't help as well.  So, Tab past those 2 tabs.  You will land on a list of files that you can associate 7zip with.  The first on the list is "7zip" which you will not be able to select, so just ignore it.  Go down the list and press the space bar for any file archive types you wish to associate with 7zip.  Once you have finished, tab to the "Okay Button" and press enter or space on it.  Let me know if this works for you.  Cheers!