Portable NLS players besides a Smart Phone

Lisa Belville

Hi, all.

I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and got back the basic one.  He hates the basic one, and is wondering if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC.  I told him there probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.

Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another portable option besides the Victor?  A smart phone isn't even a consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific product.

TIA,

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Victor

Hi everyone:

I would like the answer to Lisa’s question two. I might want to listen to a book on a PC some day as well.

Thanks,

Victor

On Mar 29, 2019, at 11:47 AM, Lisa Belville <missktlab1217@frontier.com> wrote:

Hi, all.

I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and got back the basic one. He hates the basic one, and is wondering if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC. I told him there probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.

Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another portable option besides the Victor? A smart phone isn't even a consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific product.

TIA,

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Gerald Levy

No, NLS books cannot be played on a computer.  Besides the Victor Stream, the Book Port Plus from APH, which sells for $340, can play NLS Talking Books (see link below).  It is unfortunate that the NLS underestimated demand for the advanced DTB player, which they no longer manufacture, and so there is ashortage of them. Basic players are now being substituted by some network libraries for advanced players that are returned for repair.

http://shop.aph.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_Book+Port+Plus_1-07191-00P_10001_11051

Gerald

On 3/29/2019 2:47 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and got back the basic one.  He hates the basic one, and is wondering if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC.  I told him there probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.

Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another portable option besides the Victor?  A smart phone isn't even a consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific product.

TIA,

Lisa

Victor

Hi Gerald:

Thank you for answering our question. This is yet another reason why I personally prefer smart phones and tablets over traditional laptop and desktop computers. Just my opinion.

Thanks again,

Victor

On Mar 29, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Oh yes, I tried praising the uses of a smart phone for being more than a phone, but he's not interested.

thank you for the information.

On 3/29/2019 2:09 PM, Victor wrote:
[...]

Your friend is not alone.  A lot of blind folks want nothing to do with smart phones because they are expensive, do not have tactile keypads and have a steep learning curve.

Gerald

On 3/29/2019 3:26 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
[...]

Lenron

I don't know about a lot. Most of us get on just fine with smart
phones. Even some of the older people I know.

On 3/29/19, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Gene

No, there is no way to listen to a Library of Congress audio format book using a computer.  I suspect this is to make it easier to distribut such material without publishers complaining.  If it could be done, its very likely hackers would do it and sighted people would start using the books.  The law in the United States is that the books must not be in an ccessible format for sighted people, only for blind people to be made available without asking publishers for permission.

As long as that condition is met, anyone can share books, with blind people.Blind people can share books person to person, organizations can share with blind people, etc.

I would like the answer to Lisa’s question two. I might want to listen to a book on a PC some day as well.

Thanks,

Victor
> On Mar 29, 2019, at 11:47 AM, Lisa Belville <missktlab1217@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, all.
>

> I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and got back the basic one.  He hates the basic one, and is wondering if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC.  I told him there probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.
>

> Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another portable option besides the Victor?  A smart phone isn't even a consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific product.
>

> TIA,
>

> Lisa
>

> --
> Lisa Belville
> missktlab1217@...

Victor

Well, that makes sense. Listening to Bard books on a PC would make distributing those books illegally very easy.

As for smart phones and tablets, I had a pretty easy time learning the iPhone and the iPad. I’m not sure why some have difficulties, and I’m not sure why it seems to be even harder for some blind people. Maybe it’s a matter of dexterity. Maybe it’s a matter of finger sensitivity as well. I think it also depends on how interested you are in learning these things. If you love technology like I do, you don’t mind learning these new gadgets. My iPhone has become an extension of my brain and body.

Victor

On Mar 29, 2019, at 1:20 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

No, there is no way to listen to a Library of Congress audio format book using a computer.  I suspect this is to make it easier to distribut such material without publishers complaining.  If it could be done, its very likely hackers would do it and sighted people would start using the books.  The law in the United States is that the books must not be in an ccessible format for sighted people, only for blind people to be made available without asking publishers for permission.

As long as that condition is met, anyone can share books, with blind people.Blind people can share books person to person, organizations can share with blind people, etc.
I would like the answer to Lisa’s question two. I might want to listen to a book on a PC some day as well.

Thanks,

Victor
> On Mar 29, 2019, at 11:47 AM, Lisa Belville <missktlab1217@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, all.
>

> I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and got back the basic one.  He hates the basic one, and is wondering if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC.  I told him there probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.
>

> Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another portable option besides the Victor?  A smart phone isn't even a consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific product.
>

> TIA,
>

> Lisa
>

> --
> Lisa Belville
> missktlab1217@...

Dave

Well, Right or Wrong, I have seen the NLS Players for sale on Ebay for around $50.

I would guess those who are selling them have gotten them when Grandpa dies, and all of Grandpa's stuff no body wants gets taken to the Thrift Store, who puts some of it on Ebay.

But, if you are looking for a player, for little money.

Gerald Levy

If the 70% unemployment rate among the blind is to be believed (I think its fake news), this could be a major barrier to widespread acceptance of smart phones by blind consumers.  It is pretty difficult to justify spending $600 or more for a smart phone, plus the monthly cost of service if you live on a fixed income and have more important expenses like food and shelter and medical bills to worry about.

Gerald

On 3/29/2019 4:35 PM, Victor wrote:
Well, that makes sense. Listening to Bard books on a PC would make distributing those books illegally very easy.

As for smart phones and tablets, I had a pretty easy time learning the iPhone and the iPad. I’m not sure why some have difficulties, and I’m not sure why it seems to be even harder for some blind people. Maybe it’s a matter of dexterity. Maybe it’s a matter of finger sensitivity as well. I think it also depends on how interested you are in learning these things. If you love technology like I do, you don’t mind learning these new gadgets. My iPhone has become an extension of my brain and body.

Victor

On Mar 29, 2019, at 1:20 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

No, there is no way to listen to a Library of Congress audio format book using a computer.  I suspect this is to make it easier to distribut such material without publishers complaining.  If it could be done, its very likely hackers would do it and sighted people would start using the books.  The law in the United States is that the books must not be in an ccessible format for sighted people, only for blind people to be made available without asking publishers for permission.

As long as that condition is met, anyone can share books, with blind people.Blind people can share books person to person, organizations can share with blind people, etc.
I would like the answer to Lisa’s question two. I might want to listen to a book on a PC some day as well.

Thanks,

Victor
> On Mar 29, 2019, at 11:47 AM, Lisa Belville <missktlab1217@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, all.
>

> I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and got back the basic one.  He hates the basic one, and is wondering if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC.  I told him there probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.
>

> Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another portable option besides the Victor?  A smart phone isn't even a consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific product.
>

> TIA,
>

> Lisa
>

> --
> Lisa Belville
> missktlab1217@...

Cristóbal

Not that it’s an insignificant expense, but you can at this point score an iPad for $250. The more basic current models are always going on sale for that price. This isn’t even considering older generations or if you really want to bargain hunt, go for a refurb or used model.

My sighted mother got herself a used iPad Air with cellular connectivity a couple of years ago on eBay. Showed signs of wear, etc. I think she paid something like $300 for it at that time. The dinkss and scratches didn’t bother her since she put it in a protective case. She’s still using it all the time for audiobooks, Netflix and lots of other stuff. She’s got no interest in upgrading since it meets all of her needs.

Bard and other specialized formatted books will work on these devises as well since all you have to do is download the corresponding app.

I’m not into the Android world, so don’t know if there’s an app that can play NLS books on that OS. If so though, then you can probably score an even cheaper device.

It doesn’t always have to be a smartphone per say.

I would like the answer to Lisa’s question two. I might want to listen to a book on a PC some day as well.

Thanks,

Victor
> On Mar 29, 2019, at 11:47 AM, Lisa Belville <missktlab1217@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, all.
>

> I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and got back the basic one.  He hates the basic one, and is wondering if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC.  I told him there probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.
>

> Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another portable option besides the Victor?  A smart phone isn't even a consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific product.
>

> TIA,
>

> Lisa
>

> --
> Lisa Belville
> missktlab1217@...

Holly

Hi Victor:

I am with you.  I never learned the computer til I was 65 and was almost blind already.  I have had an iPhone now for two years and love it.

I am 75 now and still enjoy learning new technology too.

I just recently got a ring doorbell and a new Echo spot.  My husband had little interest in any of it, but I put our old Echo dot next to his bed.  Now we can communicate to each other if we are in different rooms without yelling or running all over the house.  Hahahaha.

I had a Victor Stream for a long time, but sold it now that I have the NLS Bard mobile app.

However, I do think there should be alternatives for the technically challenged.

Holly

Be kind whenever possible.  It is always possible.

Victor

Hi Holly:

I’m glad you enjoyed your iPhone. To me, it is so easy to use and the swiping in the tapping are fine. It beats just typing on the keyboard all the time. For those who need it, they can get a little Bluetooth keyboard.

The echo sounds like a pretty neat device. I have never played with one. I would like to.

I definitely agree that there should be alternatives for the technically challenged. Options are always good. I also think people should stretch themselves and at least to try to learn these devices. They might discover that they really like them.

Victor

On Mar 29, 2019, at 2:21 PM, Holly <feyk7@...> wrote:

Hi Victor:

I am with you.  I never learned the computer til I was 65 and was almost blind already.  I have had an iPhone now for two years and love it.

I am 75 now and still enjoy learning new technology too.

I just recently got a ring doorbell and a new Echo spot.  My husband had little interest in any of it, but I put our old Echo dot next to his bed.  Now we can communicate to each other if we are in different rooms without yelling or running all over the house.  Hahahaha.

I had a Victor Stream for a long time, but sold it now that I have the NLS Bard mobile app.

However, I do think there should be alternatives for the technically challenged.

Holly

Be kind whenever possible.  It is always possible.

Holly

Victor:

I do have a little Apple Magic Bluetooth keyboard for quicker entering of large amounts of text on my iPhone.  Works very well.

I still love my desktop computer, but love the portability of the iPhone and tablets.

Holly

Victor

On Mar 29, 2019, at 2:36 PM, Holly <feyk7@...> wrote:

Victor:

I do have a little Apple Magic Bluetooth keyboard for quicker entering of large amounts of text on my iPhone.  Works very well.

I still love my desktop computer, but love the portability of the iPhone and tablets.

Holly

Those apple magic keyboard are very nice!

Victor

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi there FOLKS!!

I have an NLS Bard player but I listen to books on a variety of devices and find all of them to be fairly easy to use and navigate.  I use the NLS player, my personal Nls player whith I got from a friend, my Galaxy S9+ and have no issues using any of them.  I really do enjoy learning new things, and cannot wait for the next toy to come out! Just my 2-sense worth<SMILE!>.  Catch ya all later! de

<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

On 29-Mar-19 17:36, Holly wrote:
Victor:

I do have a little Apple Magic Bluetooth keyboard for quicker entering of large amounts of text on my iPhone.  Works very well.

I still love my desktop computer, but love the portability of the iPhone and tablets.

Holly

Lenron

So many choices, and Gerald you always say the same thing about price.
Many people don't buy these phones at full price. In most cases even
when they do they can probably justify it, remember most specialized
tech for the blind costs thousands of dollars. You can get IPhones for
less than 500 bucks, same thing goes for a nice enough android device
as well. If you can learn a Victor stream you can learn an IPhone I
say. The stream has buttons, but to be fair even doing somethings on
it annoyed me more than just grabbing my phone opening up the app I
need, and downloading the book I want.

<wohlggie@gmail.com><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

On 29-Mar-19 17:36, Holly wrote:
Victor:
I do have a little Apple Magic Bluetooth keyboard for quicker entering
of large amounts of text on my iPhone.  Works very well.
I still love my desktop computer, but love the portability of the
iPhone and tablets.
Holly

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Carolyn Arnold

Gerald, what are the difference in the one from APH and the Victor, and which is better?

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I use my bookport desktop and my plextalk. I also can use my booksense, but they are not around anymore to get. When I turned in my player to get a replacement, they handed me another advanced player, even though everybody told me that only standard players were being given out. If the person has a braille sense u2 or something like that, talking books can be played on it. Pam.