iPhone update?

David Mehler

Hello,

Got a friend, with a friend who has an iPhone. Is there an Apple
update that is recent, like last week, that must be got or it kills
voiceover? If so, any information on how to get this as apparently
this iPhone now is unusable via voiceover until this update is
applied.

Thanks.
Dave.

Barb O'Connor

First of all, I don’t think there was any r update that made voiceover unusable. I updated last week and everything is just fine. I have a couple questions however. Perhaps did your friend perhaps turn speech off with a three finger double tap or turn voiceover off with a triple click to the home button? Also the volume may have gotten turn down in which case voiceover would not be able to be heard. Just throwing that out there for you.

Barb

On Apr 1, 2019, at 3:07 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Got a friend, with a friend who has an iPhone. Is there an Apple
update that is recent, like last week, that must be got or it kills
voiceover? If so, any information on how to get this as apparently
this iPhone now is unusable via voiceover until this update is
applied.

Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hi,

Thanks, I don't think so, and even if that happened taking this third
hand contextually from our conversation this person seems like they
know how to unload/reload voiceover and manipulate volume.

Thanks.
DAve.

On 4/1/19, Barb O'Connor <broconnor1972@comcast.net> wrote:
[...]

It can happen accidentally. It would be certainly worth checking.

Barb

On Apr 1, 2019, at 3:43 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Gene

It makes no sense that an update would be required to keep Voiceover.  there would be howls of protest and it would be considered an unreasonable and serious accessibility threat.

I don't have an IPhone but does the phone do things that demonstrate that it is operating?  Not having speech in and of itself doesn't indicate whether a computer or computer-like device is functioning.  In other words, if the person is assuming that, because there is no speech that that is a Voiceover problem, that is an unsupported assumption unless there is evidence to show that the phone is working.

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] iPhone update?

It can happen accidentally. It would be certainly worth checking.

Barb
> On Apr 1, 2019, at 3:43 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks, I don't think so, and even if that happened taking this third
> hand contextually from our conversation this person seems like they
> know how to unload/reload voiceover and manipulate volume.
>
> Thanks.
> DAve.
>

>> On 4/1/19, Barb O'Connor <broconnor1972@...> wrote:
>> First of all, I don’t think there was any r update that made voiceover
>> unusable. I updated last week and everything is just fine. I have a couple
>> questions however. Perhaps did your friend  perhaps turn speech off with a
>> three finger double tap or turn voiceover off with a triple click to the
>> home button? Also the volume may have gotten turn down in which case
>> voiceover would not be able to be heard. Just throwing that out there for
>> you.
>>
>> Barb
>>> On Apr 1, 2019, at 3:07 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Got a friend, with a friend who has an iPhone. Is there an Apple
>>> update that is recent, like last week, that must be got or it kills
>>> voiceover? If so, any information on how to get this as apparently
>>> this iPhone now is unusable via voiceover until this update is
>>> applied.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Dave.

Holly

Is it possible that Voice over got turned off accidently and then the phone was put in Airplane mode?

I did this once and could not get Siri to turn on voice over.

David Mehler

If there was no update that was a voiceover killer that's all I know
and I'll pass it on. Maybe there's some other issue with this phone,
again I'm hearing this third hand and the person telling me while
technically proficient is not an iPhone user.
Thanks anyway.
Dave.

On 4/1/19, Holly <feyk7@comcast.net> wrote:
Is it possible that Voice over got turned off accidently and then the phone

was put in Airplane mode?

I did this once and could not get Siri to turn on voice over.

Carolyn Arnold

Has he tried turning Volume up, say, while Siri is giving a weather forecast, because it has to be talking to get volume up. I don't know if that would work for VoiceOver, when Siri is talking.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Got a friend, with a friend who has an iPhone. Is there an Apple update that is recent, like last week, that must be got or it kills voiceover? If so, any information on how to get this as apparently this iPhone now is unusable via voiceover until this update is applied.

Thanks.
Dave.

Carolyn Arnold

It is easy to get VoiceOver off, for instance, if you do the two-finger double=-tap, but accidentally use three fingers - just stuff like that. Barb covered all the possibilities.

Best regards,

Carolyn

On Apr 1, 2019, at 3:07 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com <mailto:dave.mehler@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hello,

Got a friend, with a friend who has an iPhone. Is there an Apple
update that is recent, like last week, that must be got or it kills
voiceover? If so, any information on how to get this as apparently
this iPhone now is unusable via voiceover until this update is
applied.

Thanks.
Dave.

Carolyn Arnold

I have mine set, where I can press the Home Button three times, and it will make VoiceOver come on, if it is off.

Best regards,

Carolyn

If there was no update that was a voiceover killer that's all I know and I'll pass it on. Maybe there's some other issue with this phone, again I'm hearing this third hand and the person telling me while technically proficient is not an iPhone user.
Thanks anyway.
Dave.

On 4/1/19, Holly <feyk7@comcast.net> wrote:
Is it possible that Voice over got turned off accidently and then the
phone

was put in Airplane mode?

I did this once and could not get Siri to turn on voice over.

Doug Sloan

Hello

Since I've upgraded to IOS 12.2 my VO has stopped working along with Siri I had to wait until my wife got home so that I could re-start the phone I'm using an Iphone 7

Is there away how to turn the iPhone off without using VO? I'm totally blind

Cheers
Doug 02-04-2019

If there was no update that was a voiceover killer that's all I know and I'll pass it on. Maybe there's some other issue with this phone, again I'm hearing this third hand and the person telling me while technically proficient is not an iPhone user.
Thanks anyway.
Dave.

On 4/1/19, Holly <feyk7@comcast.net> wrote:
Is it possible that Voice over got turned off accidently and then the
phone

was put in Airplane mode?

I did this once and could not get Siri to turn on voice over.

Shelly Kane

As far as I know, there hasn't been any updates in weeks.  Mine hasn't updated in at least 3 weeks or more.

Shelly

On 4/1/2019 6:57 PM, David Mehler wrote:
If there was no update that was a voiceover killer that's all I know
and I'll pass it on. Maybe there's some other issue with this phone,
again I'm hearing this third hand and the person telling me while
technically proficient is not an iPhone user.
Thanks anyway.
Dave.

On 4/1/19, Holly <feyk7@comcast.net> wrote:
Is it possible that Voice over got turned off accidently and then the phone

was put in Airplane mode?

I did this once and could not get Siri to turn on voice over.

.

chris judge

Yes, it's one of my most common phone calls with new iPhone learners. I'll get a call, my phone isn't talking, and we determine the 2 finger double tap had that third finger a bit close to the others, and bingo bango, you have muted speech.