What is your typing speed?

Akshaya Choudhary

Hello guys,
Just to evaluate my comparative speed, I would like to know how fast people here generally type?

I think at my best I cannot go faster than 35 wpm. Would like to improve it as I have to type a lot on daily basis.
Looking forward to all your responses. Any additional remarks/suggestions are also welcome.

Regards

Actually I've never thought about it.
Is there any software to rater our typing time?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/04/2019 12:31, Akshaya Choudhary disse:

Hello guys,
Just to evaluate my comparative speed, I would like to know how fast people here generally type?

I think at my best I cannot go faster than 35 wpm. Would like to improve it as I have to type a lot on daily basis.
Looking forward to all your responses. Any additional remarks/suggestions are also welcome.

Regards

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Before my health decline, I could type around 150 Words per minute.  I am still about 75  word per minute now.  As far as advice, the only way to get good at this or any other skill is to practice a lot.  Before the days of talking computers, when I did everything by rote memorization, I was more cautious.  I don't quite remember the speed--probably about 60 or 70 words per minute, but once I got speech with my computer, and I could hear each word and spell check, that's when my speed increased--until my neural motor conditions slowed me down.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

To give my own typing speed test, I set a timer for 1 minute and then typed a standard typing test phrase such as: 'The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dogs' until I her the timer sound to end the 1 minute.  Then I counted the number of words or set my word processor to do so and subtracted a word for each misspelled word and got my total for one minute.

On 4/14/2019 11:33 AM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Actually I've never thought about it.
Is there any software to rater our typing time?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/04/2019 12:31, Akshaya Choudhary disse:

Hello guys,
Just to evaluate my comparative speed, I would like to know how fast people here generally type?

I think at my best I cannot go faster than 35 wpm. Would like to improve it as I have to type a lot on daily basis.
Looking forward to all your responses. Any additional remarks/suggestions are also welcome.

Regards

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Wow, good trick!
But it would be nice to have an app, a program or whatever to do just about the same thing.
Honestly, I'm not good with Math, not at all. LOL

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/04/2019 14:23, Ron Canazzi disse:

[...]

There is a program called talking Typer that you could try. This will guide you through a different keyboard strokes as well as learning the keyboard itself.

Ashley Breger

On Apr 14, 2019, at 12:23 PM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

[...]

Ashley,
Please, could you provide us with the link for downloading this program?
It would be much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/04/2019 14:36, Ashley Breger via Groups.Io disse:

[...]

I do not have a direct link to the program however I do know there is an App Store link and you can purchase the actual program through APH.

Ashley Breger

On Apr 14, 2019, at 12:34 PM, marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21@...> wrote:

[...]

chris judge

There are some talking typing teacher programs around. We use one at work called Talking Typer, I believe we got it from APH. It will tell you your typing speed and level of accuracy.

I type at around 70 words a minute. Been typing for 41 years.

Is there any software to rater our typing time?

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/04/2019 12:31, Akshaya Choudhary disse:

Hello guys,
Just to evaluate my comparative speed, I would like to know how fast people here generally type?

I think at my best I cannot go faster than 35 wpm. Would like to improve it as I have to type a lot on daily basis.
Looking forward to all your responses. Any additional remarks/suggestions are also welcome.

Regards

Chris,
Isn't there any free program that does it?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/04/2019 14:52, chris judge disse:

[...]

I know it’s around 100 dollars Canadian. Not sure if there are any free ones around.

[...]

Donald L. Roberts

Actually, I have three typing speeds; slow, slower, and backwards.

Don Roberts

On 4/14/2019 11:33 AM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Actually I've never thought about it.
Is there any software to rater our typing time?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/04/2019 12:31, Akshaya Choudhary disse:

Hello guys,
Just to evaluate my comparative speed, I would like to know how fast people here generally type?

I think at my best I cannot go faster than 35 wpm. Would like to improve it as I have to type a lot on daily basis.
Looking forward to all your responses. Any additional remarks/suggestions are also welcome.

Regards

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

TerriLynne Pomeroy <tl1@...>

In the U.S., your local employment office can give you a test or make arrangements for the test to be given to you at a nearby rehabilitation office.

TerriLynne

[...]

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

,Hi! I can type no more than 60 words per minute I type faster on a smaller keyboard than I do a regular size keyboard. I can't explain it, but on my little neck with a small keyboard I can type faster because the keys are closer together, and if the keys pressed down fast more easily I can't I pee and faster. If the keys are harder to press down that slows down my typing speed. What about 60 words per minute is about all I've been able to get too. Thanks a lot for asking this question it will be interesting to hear what people say. Have a great one everyone! David Moore

Donald L. wrote:

"Actually, I have three typing speeds; slow, slower, and backwards."

I sure want to be your student; I'd like to add all three to my repertoire,
hopefully I'd be a tad smarter that way. Great speeds sire, and I like the
humor and sarcasm contained therein; you just made my day a lot brighter as
I creep out of here to go listen to my baseball team lose Game NumberXXXXX,
now more than 10, so I quit counting!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Akshaya, I can type about 100 words per minute error free. Please note that
I've been typing since I was about five years of age, have worked in the
field of medical transcription, some PBX, as a Customer Service
Representative and Internet Tech Support Technician, Tier2. In all of these
situations, being able to type at fast speeds were requirements.

Today, I work for myself almost exclusively, but my typing has stayed the
same just because I've been at it since the great typewriter days till now.
I do actually have two electric typewriters that I play with once in a while
just to see if I can still manage to use a typewriter. I guess I also like
the noise especially from the bell!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

LOL! This is the best answer so far!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 14/04/2019 15:24, Donald L. Roberts disse:

[...]

Monte Single

I learnt touch typing around the time of JFK’s  assassination.

I don’t think I touched a keyboard all through my 20s and 30s.

Nowadays I think I do around 40.

It would never buy me supper, but works great for email.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

My mother first started teaching me touch typing when I was in first grade in 1958.  While I was learning braille in school, I was learning typing at home.  Then it fell by the wayside, but when I was ten, and I was home from school being sick, she taught me again.  Then, when I went to seventh grade in 1964, The Institute put me in typing class.  So, I learned all over again, but at least I had my prior learning to stand me in good stead.  Pam.

[...]

Brian K. Lingard

ear TerriLynne Pomeroy & List:

A more meaningful typing speed test has you typing plain text, not a stock phrase such as the quick brown fox.

Try the first few paragraphs of the U. S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence or some other well-known text.

Yes, use a one-minute timer and subtract one word for each misspelt word. 35 WPM is a respectable, albeit not fast, typing speed, especially if you compose at the keyboard as I do. While working at Revenue, I wrote technical, financial explanations. also input changes to income & deductions, accuracy was everything. At work, we used to call H & R Block BLOCKHEADS, however, in all seriousness, they, as well as the other, large, tax preparers and discounters, bentax, Household Finance, etc. do quality, well-researched work. It is the people who have no formal training in Income Tax and do not read the guide which accompanies the return you have to check diligently. At least one tax preparer used to write nice, innocent-looking, letters requesting a change which was specifically outlawed in the guide. I answered these letters with the same explanation time & time again, the election to report your bond income on the annual accrual basis is made upon filing your return and is not available at a later time. Please refer to the guide item for line 121. We also had one tax preparer who specialized in requesting changes not permitted by the law! One preparer used your membership number with them to refer to their correspondence about your return, not your Social Insurance Number. You had to ensure you clearly put the membership number on the Re: line of your reply, or guaranteed, they would write back saying they needed this.

Then there was the person who wrote to say they had previously reported the interest on the annual accrual method. I sent for the prior year returns, found there was no indication they had done this, and wrote them a polite letter explaining this.  It was amazing how often a person’s several letters requesting the same change would land on your desk! We had around 100 people in Adjustments. When this happened, I would go back to their first request, check if I had made the correct decision and explained it adequately. After the third letter, I would send them a bulletin on the topic so they knew it was not just me who disagreed with them, it was a Department-wide Policy or the law itself. Generally, this resolved the matter. Some families sending their kids to a private, expensive, school wanted to claim the Child Care Deduction for their kids, however did not submit the required receipt identifying the payment as for Child ?Care as opposed to Tuition. They had no explanation as to why the school would not provide the required receipt. I checked with the school, something we were not really supposed to do on a couple of these claims, the school said they had paid no Day Care for the child, looked like they were trying to claim Tuition as Child Care, not permitted. Wrote the parents a nice letter stating they had no children of any age enrolled in the school’s Day Care program that year, if they was incorrect, they could submit a written complaint to our section which deals with Delinquent Schools. Seems the parents knew I had them with one of these letters. In a couple of cases, escalated the matter to the section dealing with incorrect or missing slips, Payroll Deductions. They treat receipts as just another information slip like the IRS W2 or 1099. I knew they would look into the matter, decide what the parents were trying to do and write them a letter on Asbestos paper, it would be so hotly worded.

A trained touch typist, or experienced secretary, can type at 60 WPMM all day. They are typing from recorded dictation files or shorthand notes, not composing as they type.. Having to think of what to say immediately before you type it slows down your speed greatly. However, if you use the most appropriate explanation the first time, you need not spend time revising it afterwards.

Speaking of the Grim Reaper, I have to visit Block to file my own return for last year. Have around $15,000 of eligible medical expenses, high for a Canadian as with publicly paid for health care, we typically only have

Brian K.. Lingard