Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:40 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] outlook express and account passwords

I have both my road runner mail and my gmail downloading into outlook express, this is OE for windows 7 btw, and since last weekend when I was having trouble with my gmail I've been having to enter the password for both my road runner and gmail accounts every time I open OE to check e-mail.  I've made sure that the save password box is checked for both accounts, and thinking that the boxes were reversed and checked meant it was unchecked and vise versa I unchecked both boxes and that didn't fix the problem, and since the default is checked I unchecked and then immediately rechecked the boxes before okaying it and that didn't work.  Any other ideas?

Btw if anybody has a copy of OE for windows 7 that is one of the free versions I'd appreciate getting a copy, last week when I started having the gmail problem I was going to try to reinstall OE over the top of itself to see if I could get it to start giving all of my messages again, but when I tried to do that Abast popped up and told me there was a problem with the file and it evidently automatically got rid of it because I don't have it anymore.

Thanks in advance for any help with these matters.

Troy

Troy Burnham

    Thanks Carlos, can I just install over the top without needing to uninstall first?  I have quite a few messages in my various mailboxes that I don't want to lose.

Troy

The Protected Storage service has been corrupted.  This happens sometimes with the version of OE for 7.  The Protected Storage service is responsible for retaining Outlook Express passwords.  You can repair it by reinstalling Outlook Express.  Just remember to run the installer as administrator and insure that the
"Patch Protected Storage Service"
checkbox is checked.  Reboot when the installation is complete.  After you reboot and run Outlook Express, it will ask for your passwords one final time, but it should then remember them for subsequent sessions.  You can download the last completely free version here from my Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8dzd63tcftsk0y/oe6_1.6.7.exe?dl=1
[...]

Carlos

Yes you can just install over the existing copy, but even if you were to completely uninstall it, your messages would not be deleted.

[...]

Jerry hathaway

Troy you may try to check your settings in your account. You do this by selecting the tools menu, then select account, then select properties. In properties ;you contro tab over to server page. In servers page tab down to password. Make sure you delete the field that you type the password in and then retype the correct password. Then tab next to have password save turn on, then tab to log on using secure password authentication is turned off, and tab next to my server needs passwrd authentication is turned on. then save the changes by checking okay and see if this helps with your password. If not then try reinstalling Outlook express. I hope this is helpful to you.

Jerry