Spoof email messages and eloquence

Brian Zolo <bzolo@...>

Good evening, listers.  Has anyone ben able to get the exact charater string that is crashing eloquence with jaws?  I’ve been advised by the fols at Freedom Scienttific that if we can send them the offending character string that they will take a look at it and work on fixing it.  I’m a firm believer in being part of the solution and not part of the problem so am willing to send in the character string that is causing the crash.  They (freedom scientific have fixed previous character strings that caused previous crashes of eloquence and was talking with bryan Carver director of technical support concerning a problem that I’ve been having at work as we transition to windows ten from windows 7 and mentioned to him that eloquence is being effected by new character strings and he then mentioned that if someone could send him the current character string causing the problem that they would take a look at it and develop a fix.  I believe that Bryan’s email address is bryanc@... but I will verify that and let the list know.  This is an opportunity to defeat this craziness so I’m willing to assist in this endeavor.  My eloquence has been crashed by this new string as well.  Thanks so much, have a great day!  BZ!

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I really hope Freedom Scientific comes up with a permanent solution.  I am using Eloquence with NVDA and the same strings that are crashing JAWS are not crashing NVDA with Eloquence.  This makes me believe that the crashes are caused by some kind of interface between JAWS and Eloquence--not Eloquence itself.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Mohamed

No, it is actually not from NVDA or JAWS. It is, in fact, from Eloquence itself, and in the drivers for NVDA, there are regular expressions that block the strings from going through. Simply looking for strings isn't enough to block these crash codes. There are actually patterns to them, that need to be coded in through a regular expression.

On 11/16/2016 11:50 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

Carlos

Yep, old bugs in the Eloquence synthesizer which itself hasn't been updated in many years.  And Freedom Scientific should already be aware of them.

[...]

I think they have been for a while, however I don't think they've done much to fix it. GW Micro apparently has, though.

On 11/17/2016 6:32 AM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

hi, strictly off list, what's the new string? or where can one find it?

On 17/11/2016 01:36 AM, Brian Zolo wrote:

[...]

Dave Mitchel

it also happens with triple talk synthesizer here.

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:50 PM

[...]

So why don't I have the issues with
Eloquence and NVDA if it is not specific to JAWS?

[...]

there is a regular expression built in to the code of the Eloquence driver for NVDA that specifically keeps those codes from getting to Eloquence itself.

On 11/17/2016 9:37 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

Cristóbal

A work-around I’ve used is to  add the offending  string of  text to the Jawws dictionary  manager and  replace  it with something like Jaws crash  word or  something along  those lines. I select eloquence as the pronunciation synth and that takes care of it  for the  future. This I do  using an alternative synth. Vocalizer  expressive for example.

[...]

Yes, you can do that, however there are so many that someone could just crash you anyway by adding a letter or two. And unfortunately, JAWS does not support regular expressions, as far as I know, so I couldn't pass out a regular expression to filter them.

On 11/17/2016 10:39 AM, Cristóbal wrote:

[...]

If you want something not to be spoken, just place one space in the pronounced as field.  There is no need to have a text string such as you describe in the pronounced as field.

However, if you do add the problem strings to the dictionary, when moving up and down in the list of words in the dictionary list, the string will attempt to be spoken.  Therefore, avoid moving to those words unless you switch synthesizers first.  I don't recall if I ever tried this, but switching synthesizers should allow you to move to one of these character strings without problems.  I haven't played around enough to know if moving very quickly will work.  You could move from the end of the list up or move from the top of the list down and stop before you get to the character string.  or you could switch synthesizers before working in the word list.  Then, when you have found the word you want to edit, as long as it isn't one of the crash strings, switch back to Eloquence so you can edit it or remove it or whatever.  If you edit it, you will then know how Eloquence will pronounce the replacement string.

[...]

Whether there is or is not a need to have replacement text in the pronounced as field is a subjective opinion. I choose to be aware if possible when someone is  trying to monkey around with my screen reader to at least exclude any other possible reason for my losing speech. The replacement text allows me this feedback.

Switching  synthesizers does work. This is what  I explained in my earlier post.

In an  ideal world, FS would  have already addressed these anomalies, but  in the meantime, this can be a quick fix.

Good evening, listers, Brian Zolo here, Bryan Carter’s correct address is BCarver@....  The b and the c are both upper case.  If anyone can send the exact character string that is crashing eloquence it would really help.  Right now I’m using Vocalizer Tom and once I upgrade to windows ten and jaws 18 I will go with the new vocalizer voices.  The new generation of Vocalizer voices sounds quite natural but speech is very subjective.  I have some hearing loss and in that sense Eloquence is still the most hearable for me especially as I like to have my speech at high speed.  I apologize for the incorrect email address I provided last evening.  Have a great day and a great weekend1  bZ1

[...]

But you didn't explain why you did this.  You just said people can do it.  Many people, like me, don't care whether someone is trying to crash the synthesizer.  We just don't want to be bothered with it one way or another.  If you are going to recommend an action and you know of an alternative such as the one I gave, it is misleading to cause people to believe that spoken text must be present in the pronounced as field by omission.

If you want to have something spoken, that's your choice.  But when advising people, it should not be described as though it were, by implication, necessary.

[...]

Hi, Gene, I did this so that others won’t have to go through what I did the first day I encountered it.  You may not care if your synthesizer crashes but I do care and went to Freedom Scientific to make them aware of the situation.  Bryan Carver gave me his email address and advised that they had fixed other character strings that caused problems and that if someone could send them this new string that they would look into getting this problem fixed.  I did it to help others and that’s all I’m going to say.  You provide great help to the list, this was the way that I chose to help be part of the solution and not part of the problem.  I apologize for the delay in replying as I’ve been under the weather.  This is an awesome list but can we quit questioning others motives for their actions?  I apologize for coming across too harshly that wasn’t my intention, Gene.  You’ve given much valuable information to the list and I respect that; all I’m asking is for that same level of respect for the actions that I deemed necessary to help all of us using jaws and eloquence.  BZ!    .

[...]

I didn't question anything regarding motives.  and I didn't say anything about whether people should report the problem to Freedom Scientific.  I said that people should be aware that they can stop crashes and simply put a blank space in the pronounced as field if they don't want to hear extra speech.  Your method alerts people with a speech string every time the characters are encountered.  I'm saying that people should have a choice and be informed about how to do this without extra speech if they wish.  that was all I was saying.

[...]

My apologies for misinterpreting your message, Gene.  BZ!

[...]

Flor Lynch

Brian,
You can use another synnthesizer, such as one of the SAPI5 voices, to read the buggy character strings; then copy to clipboard, and paste, etc into an Email to Bryan Carver. (It’s unlikely that the same character string will crash a SAPI5 voice.)

What version of JAWS are you using?
There have been past instances where Freedom Scientific (now part of VFO) have fixed character strings crashing Eloquence.

[...]

Where can one learn/read more about regular expressions,  what they are, and what they do? (I understand that they can be used for instance in find/replace dialogues.) Thanks.