Laptop recommendations

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Hi list, I’m considering getting myself a new laptop in the next couple of months and I would like your opinions on two different brands. I’m looking at either Acer or Dell. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with either brand.

Sylvia.

Carlos

I rarely tend to praise specific manufacturers, but I have been somewhat impressed with Dell quality the last couple of years.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:59 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Laptop recommendations

Hi list, I’m considering getting myself a new laptop in the next couple of months and I would like your opinions on two different brands. I’m looking at either Acer or Dell. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with either brand.

Sylvia.

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

I’d love to get one of the xps 13 models but I don’t need that much power. I just want something that I can use in case my main system goes down. I’ll have to check the Dell website for sales.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Laptop recommendations

I rarely tend to praise specific manufacturers, but I have been somewhat impressed with Dell quality the last couple of years.

Sylvia.

Sugar Lopez

I have had a del for several years and I really never had major issues with it.

Both my desk top and lap top are Del’s.

sugar

‘I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the

night.

Sugar

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:10 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Sylvia.

Carlos

The problem with Dell in the past is that most of their machines were just too expensive, but now they have joined the rest of the computing market and have started offering reasonable deals over the last few years.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:38 AM

sugar

night.

Sugar

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos

Sylvia.

Sugar Lopez

Agree, I have no complaints but always open for other ideas. For now I am happy with both my Del’s..smile

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:44 AM

The problem with Dell in the past is that most of their machines were just too expensive, but now they have joined the rest of the computing market and have started offering reasonable deals over the last few years.

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sylvia.

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Dell seems to have some good deals at the moment. I have two questions. What does it mean when the specs say touch enabled. What are two in one machines?

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:43 AM

The problem with Dell in the past is that most of their machines were just too expensive, but now they have joined the rest of the computing market and have started offering reasonable deals over the last few years.

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sylvia.

Carlos

Touch enabled means it has a touch screen.  Two-in-one means it can double as a tablet.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:18 AM

Dell seems to have some good deals at the moment. I have two questions. What does it mean when the specs say touch enabled. What are two in one machines?

The problem with Dell in the past is that most of their machines were just too expensive, but now they have joined the rest of the computing market and have started offering reasonable deals over the last few years.

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sylvia.

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Should I stick to something that is a non-touch machine? I don’t want to spend money on something if I won’t be able to use it.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:21 AM

Touch enabled means it has a touch screen.  Two-in-one means it can double as a tablet.

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sylvia.

Carlos

Hard to say.  You can of course learn to use a touch screen, but that depends on your interest and determination.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:22 AM

Should I stick to something that is a non-touch machine? I don’t want to spend money on something if I won’t be able to use it.

Touch enabled means it has a touch screen.  Two-in-one means it can double as a tablet.

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sylvia.

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

If I was going to use the machine as my main system, I would be interested but since I’m only using it as a secondary machine, I’ll go with the non-touch model.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:25 AM

Hard to say.  You can of course learn to use a touch screen, but that depends on your interest and determination.

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sylvia.

Carlos

Also, after rereading your last message, I started wondering if you were thinking touch enabled means no keyboard because that is not the case.  A touch enabled laptop still has a keyboard.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:26 AM

If I was going to use the machine as my main system, I would be interested but since I’m only using it as a secondary machine, I’ll go with the non-touch model.

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sylvia.

Dave Mitchel

Sylvia,
have you checked with best buy to see what they have? I get a daily ad from them and they do have some good sales quite often.  do they have best buy up there? their number is:
1 800 best buy so
1 800 237 8289 at least here in the states

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:18 AM

I’d love to get one of the xps 13 models but I don’t need that much power. I just want something that I can use in case my main system goes down. I’ll have to check the Dell website for sales.

Sylvia.

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Thanks for the clarification. This might give me a couple more options.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:30 AM

Also, after rereading your last message, I started wondering if you were thinking touch enabled means no keyboard because that is not the case.  A touch enabled laptop still has a keyboard.
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:26 AM

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sylvia.

Byron Stephens

We do have bestbuy here in canada.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:30 AM

Sylvia,
have you checked with best buy to see what they have? I get a daily ad from them and they do have some good sales quite often.  do they have best buy up there? their number is:
1 800 best buy so

Sylvia.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7859 / Virus Database: 4664/13428 - Release Date: 11/17/16

Carlos

Just make sure to read specs when purchasing something like a Best Buy deal to insure it has the features you want.  Some people fall in love with the low price and don't stop to look at features.  This can be disappointing later if you realize it doesn't have so and so feature you were expecting.

Sylvia,
1 800 best buy so

Sylvia.

Dave Mitchel

plus they have free delivery so that helps out here in BF Egypt.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:31 AM

Sylvia,
1 800 best buy so

Sylvia.

Dave Mitchel

yes, and I always call to order and have them go through the specs again with me.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:36 AM

Just make sure to read specs when purchasing something like a Best Buy deal to insure it has the features you want.  Some people fall in love with the low price and don't stop to look at features.  This can be disappointing later if you realize it doesn't have so and so feature you were expecting.

Sylvia,
1 800 best buy so

Sylvia.

Sugar Lopez

You know, when I ordered a lap top for my sister I ordered on line because Ihave an account with Del, the rep was very friendly, I told them I was blind and I needed spcifics. They did not have jaws of course but they did make sure to explain everyghing and describe what it was used for.

Just a note and info

Since then we have ordered printer’s and other pc supplies.

sugar

night.

Sugar

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:58 AM

Sylvia,

1 800 best buy so

Sylvia.

Carlos

Well, no store bought machine I am aware of includes JAWS by default so that is typical.  I personally prefer shopping online because it is more convenient and easier to look at specs and reviews.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 12:13 PM

You know, when I ordered a lap top for my sister I ordered on line because Ihave an account with Del, the rep was very friendly, I told them I was blind and I needed spcifics. They did not have jaws of course but they did make sure to explain everyghing and describe what it was used for.

Just a note and info

Since then we have ordered printer’s and other pc supplies.

sugar

night.

Sugar

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:58 AM

Sylvia,

1 800 best buy so

Sylvia.