chrome issue with bookmarks

Vicki W

I imported my Favorites from IE to Chrome. Everything imported fine. My favorites folder contains multiple folders with my bookmarks.

I saved a new bookmark on Chrome and it went into a folder in my imported IE Favorites folder which I did not want it to go into. I want to get it out of there and place it in the correct location.

How can I move it out of the current folder and into the correct one?

I am using the updated version of Chrome and JAWS 2019.

Thanks.

Vicki

Abbie Taylor

This is one thing I don't like about Chrome. There seems to be no control over where bookmarks go when you add them. I no longer bookmark pages. I save them by pressing Control S. This opens the usual save-as dialog, where you can navigate to where you want the file to go. It's saved as an html file that you can open in Chrome by pressing Control O. The down side is that once you've saved the page and opened it in Chrome, there's no way to get a link to that page to include, say, on your blog or website. So, if somebody else has any more brilliant ideas, I'm all ears.

Vicki W

Abby,

I always have more than one browser, so I have started doing a very round about thing.

When I find a page I want to save in Chrome, I copy the URL from the address bar, and just in case I get busy and forget, I paste it into a notepad document with the title of the page.

I go ahead and save it using Chrome, but later I will open up IE and paste the URL of the page into the address bar after pressing control plus O.

I then save it in IE and I have a folder inside my IE favorites folder where all of my webpages are completely organized. This allows me to have it where I want it and when using Chrome, if I want, I can just go to that favorites folder and enter on the page, finding it quite easily.

It sounds complicated, but it is actually very quick to do.

I just read that the issue with Chrome and bookmarks is a JAWS issue, so maybe it will get fixed.

Vicki

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] chrome issue with bookmarks

This is one thing I don't like about Chrome. There seems to be no control over where bookmarks go when you add them. I no longer bookmark pages. I save them by pressing Control S. This opens the usual save-as dialog, where you can navigate to where you want the file to go. It's saved as an html file that you can open in Chrome by pressing Control O. The down side is that once you've saved the page and opened it in Chrome, there's no way to get a link to that page to include, say, on your blog or website. So, if somebody else has any more brilliant ideas, I'm all ears.

Thomas N. Chan

.That’s the thing, I cant find a good replacement plugins/extension to work with firefox

, IE and chrome at the same time.

With the newer version of firefox, the plain old favourites don’t work anymore

If anyone got any good idea, do let us know.

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Tuesday, 7 May 2019 9:18 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Abby,

I always have more than one browser, so I have started doing a very round about thing.

When I find a page I want to save in Chrome, I copy the URL from the address bar, and just in case I get busy and forget, I paste it into a notepad document with the title of the page.

I go ahead and save it using Chrome, but later I will open up IE and paste the URL of the page into the address bar after pressing control plus O.

I then save it in IE and I have a folder inside my IE favorites folder where all of my webpages are completely organized. This allows me to have it where I want it and when using Chrome, if I want, I can just go to that favorites folder and enter on the page, finding it quite easily.

I just read that the issue with Chrome and bookmarks is a JAWS issue, so maybe it will get fixed.

Vicki

mcLeod stinnett

--
From Mack a nice thing about chrome bookmarks is, you can type the first few letters of the title and you are taken to it. have you played with the bookmark manager, ctrl,shft, o. there is an organize button and a add new folder button.

Gene

You are evidently discussing typing part of the name of a book mark in the address bar.  It is a very useful feature and I never organize book marks because I can use that feature to find them.

Aside from that, you don't have to type part of the first word.  You may find it more effective in certain cases and more convenient, to type another part of the name.  When I want to get to The New York Times, I type the word times.  I then down arrow once and see the site as the first result.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 1:07 PM

--
From Mack a nice thing about chrome bookmarks is, you can type the first few letters of the title and you are taken to it. have you played with the bookmark manager, ctrl,shft, o. there is an organize button and a add new folder button.

Abbie Taylor

I doubt this issue is just with Jaws. I use NVDA and have the same problem. However, I like your idea of copying links into Notepad. I can't click on them from there, but I can copy and paste them into Chrome's searchbox when I need to open them. Thanks.    

Norma A. Boge

Just a thought…if you paste the links into a document then save it as an html file, I think you should be able to click on the links from within the document. I’ll apologize in advance if this doen’t work, as it did for me but your experience may be different. <smile> HTH Norma

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Abbie Taylor
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:50 PM

I doubt this issue is just with Jaws. I use NVDA and have the same problem. However, I like your idea of copying links into Notepad. I can't click on them from there, but I can copy and paste them into Chrome's searchbox when I need to open them. Thanks.    

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Vickie this is absolutely a Jaws issue.  Do control d  tab twice.  You will be on more.  Press Space bar.    The first  field is the name.  Tab once  that is the url.  Let that alone.  The next field is your folders Jaws isn’t reading them.  Please report this.  The more that report the higher priority it will get.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 5:21 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] chrome issue with bookmarks

I imported my Favorites from IE to Chrome. Everything imported fine. My favorites folder contains multiple folders with my bookmarks.

I saved a new bookmark on Chrome and it went into a folder in my imported IE Favorites folder which I did not want it to go into. I want to get it out of there and place it in the correct location.

How can I move it out of the current folder and into the correct one?

I am using the updated version of Chrome and JAWS 2019.

Thanks.

Vicki

Chris G <chris@...>

There is one that synchronizes bookmarks across the browsers it is called Eversync.

https://www.everhelper.me/synchronizer.php

Another bookmark manager is called Linkstash from http://www.linkstash.com

This one saves the links in it’s own database and you launch the link from it’s interface and not from your browsers.  It reminds me of Windows Explorer.

Chris

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas N. Chan
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:57 AM

.That’s the thing, I cant find a good replacement plugins/extension to work with firefox

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Abby,

Vicki

Abbie Taylor

Atually, you don't have to save the file in html format if you copy the link into a Word document. Simply press the space bar after pasting the link, and the link becomes clickable.     

Norma A. Boge

Abby, thanks for that, didn’t even cross my mind. Thanks for an even easier way to keep the list of links. Best, Norma

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Abbie Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:54 AM

Atually, you don't have to save the file in html format if you copy the link into a Word document. Simply press the space bar after pasting the link, and the link becomes clickable.     

Thomas N. Chan

have you tried either of them?

I will give them a go later.

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris G
Sent: Wednesday, 8 May 2019 10:10 PM

There is one that synchronizes bookmarks across the browsers it is called Eversync.

https://www.everhelper.me/synchronizer.php

Another bookmark manager is called Linkstash from http://www.linkstash.com

This one saves the links in it’s own database and you launch the link from it’s interface and not from your browsers.  It reminds me of Windows Explorer.

Chris

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas N. Chan
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:57 AM

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Abby,

Vicki