accidental delete of downloads directory, need to restore, urgent!

David Mehler

Hello,

I don't usually cross post, so please forgive this posting.

I need help quite urgently actually. I made a mistake and accidentally
deleted my download directory in my user profile, this is on a win10
pro 64 machine. The download folder was highlighted and I hit delete,
I wanted to delete another folder not downloads so I realized I was on
the wrong folder, hit tab to no or what I thought was no and hit
enter, as I did my machine shut down. It's having a heating problem
that I'm going to partially address today and fully address with a new
case. On reboot I found that download directory was gone. I need to
get it back. It's been quite a while since I've had to do this, help!

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

Geoff Eden <geden1@...>

Good morning Dave, how distressing! However, the cure is simple.

Open search with your Windows key, and type recycle.

This should open your recycle bin within which you can arrow to your downloads folder which you had deleted. Press the applications key and select restore.

If it's a large folder it may take some time to follow your actions.

Good luck

Geoff

I don't usually cross post, so please forgive this posting.

I need help quite urgently actually. I made a mistake and accidentally
deleted my download directory in my user profile, this is on a win10
pro 64 machine. The download folder was highlighted and I hit delete,
I wanted to delete another folder not downloads so I realized I was on
the wrong folder, hit tab to no or what I thought was no and hit
enter, as I did my machine shut down. It's having a heating problem
that I'm going to partially address today and fully address with a new
case. On reboot I found that download directory was gone. I need to
get it back. It's been quite a while since I've had to do this, help!

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hello Geoff,

Thanks, that was the first thing I tried, nothing! It's not in there.
This machine must be set to not send stuff to the recycle bin, I
didn't think that was even possible.

Other suggestions welcome!

Thanks.
Dave.

On 5/18/19, Geoff Eden <geden1@cogeco.ca> wrote:
[...]

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Dave,
I found this by googling. Haven't tried it but you can try it.
  1. Open Computer by selecting the Start button. , and then selecting Computer.
  2. Navigate to the folder that used to contain the file or folder, right-click it, and then select Restore previous versions.

I don't usually cross post, so please forgive this posting.

I need help quite urgently actually. I made a mistake and accidentally
deleted my download directory in my user profile, this is on a win10
pro 64 machine. The download folder was highlighted and I hit delete,
I wanted to delete another folder not downloads so I realized I was on
the wrong folder, hit tab to no or what I thought was no and hit
enter, as I did my machine shut down. It's having a heating problem
that I'm going to partially address today and fully address with a new
case. On reboot I found that download directory was gone. I need to
get it back. It's been quite a while since I've had to do this, help!

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

Gene

The first question is whether system restore is operating on the machine.  If so, the machine is probably using a feature of system restore called Shadow Copy.  Shadow Copy makes copies of your files and folders as they were when the restore point was made.  I don't know if you work with it in the same way in Windows 10 as in earlier versions of Windows.  I almost never use it aned I'd have to look at how it is done in Windows 7 to describe the procedure.  It may well be the same, given my recollection of the interface concerning using Shadow Copy in Windows 7. But you don't run something called Shadow Copy. You use a feature called "previous versions."

Since I don't have Windows 10, I'll let others describe how to check to see if it is on.  After you find out, if it is on, I'll look at how to see and restore from Shadow Copy.  But just running a restore point probably won't restore the folder.  If you are using the downloads default folder, it probably isn't reverted as part of system restore.  You would probably have to use Shadow Copy for that.

And that may be the same for other folders that aren't used as program and system and Windows folders.

On 5/18/19, Geoff Eden <geden1@...> wrote:
> Good morning Dave, how distressing! However, the cure is simple.
>
> Open search with your Windows key, and type recycle.
>
> This should open your recycle bin within which you can arrow to your
> downloads folder which you had deleted. Press the applications key and
> select restore.
>
> If it's a large folder it may take some time to follow your actions.
>
> Good luck
>
> Geoff

Gene

I see that this message tells you how to get into the feature I was discussing.  I hope system restore is on on your machine.  If it is, you will see previous versions.  If not, you won't.

As I think about it, you don't have to check to see if System Restore is on.  You have to see if previous versions of the folder exist.

[...]

If you have created a system image backup, there is a way to retrieve individual files without doing a complete image restore. Just search Google for the instructions.

[...]

Jujube

Check the recycle bin. Is it in there?

I don't usually cross post, so please forgive this posting.

I need help quite urgently actually. I made a mistake and accidentally
deleted my download directory in my user profile, this is on a win10
pro 64 machine. The download folder was highlighted and I hit delete,
I wanted to delete another folder not downloads so I realized I was on
the wrong folder, hit tab to no or what I thought was no and hit
enter, as I did my machine shut down. It's having a heating problem
that I'm going to partially address today and fully address with a new
case. On reboot I found that download directory was gone. I need to
get it back. It's been quite a while since I've had to do this, help!

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I ran easeus recovery, then I
ran recuva, while they both found files they did not find the files
i'm missing. So I ran a system restore which got some but not all. I
did also try previous versions first but there weren't any.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 5/18/19, Jujube <ellaxyu@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

When you tried previous versions, did you go farther up in the folder structure?  Try opening this computer, finding the c drive, and opening previous versions.  Do you see older versions of the c drive?  If so, you should find older versions of the downloades folder by opening a previous version of the drive, then finding the folder in that version.

Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2019 4:44 PM

On 5/18/19, Jujube <ellaxyu@...> wrote:
> Check the recycle bin.  Is it in there?

David Mehler

Hello,

When I hit the c drive there's no previous version of it. How can I
ensure that in the future previous versions are taken? Restore points
are on.

Thanks.
Dave.

[...]

Here are instructions I found online.  But I'm not sure just how you apply them.  Someone else may send instructions that may be easier to apply, or with more information about how to perform the operations from the keyboard.

There is a lot of advertising on the page but the information is there.

but more important, is that you should be backing up all files you don't want to lose.  If you have a hard drive crash, using Shadow Copy, you will still lose all your files.  If your computer fails in another way, you may have to spend money repairing an old machine you would ordinarily replace just to get access to your files again.  Very likely, for less than the price of repairing the computer, you could buy a 4 TB external USB hard drive, if you need that much room.

Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2019 10:38 PM

On 5/18/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> When you tried previous versions, did you go farther up in the folder
> structure?  Try opening this computer, finding the c drive, and opening
> previous versions.  Do you see older versions of the c drive?  If so, you
> should find older versions of the downloades folder by opening a previous
> version of the drive, then finding the folder in that version.
>
> Gene

Gene,
Looks like you forgot to add the link?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Smiling?

It's definitely possible if the user set it up this way within the properties of the Recycle Bin.

Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2019 4:27 AM

Gene,
Looks like you forgot to add the link?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Although it should be noted that if people want to set their machines in this way, they can't turn off the are you sure message.  I don't advocate that people use or don't use the recycle bin but I will say from experience that, though I am a careful computer user, I have on occasion, mistakenly deleted a file, mistakenly thinking it was something else I didn't need.

It's definitely possible if the user set it up this way within the properties of the Recycle Bin.

Thanks, that was the first thing I tried, nothing! It's not in there.
This machine must be set to not send stuff to the recycle bin, I
didn't think that was even possible.

Other suggestions welcome!

Thanks.
Dave.

On 5/18/19, Geoff Eden <geden1@...> wrote:
> Good morning Dave, how distressing! However, the cure is simple.
>
> Open search with your Windows key, and type recycle.
>
> This should open your recycle bin within which you can arrow to your
> downloads folder which you had deleted. Press the applications key and
> select restore.
>
> If it's a large folder it may take some time to follow your actions.
>
> Good luck
>
> Geoff

Smiling?

They most certainly can turn off this asking/confirmation you speak of below within Recycle Bin and have been able to via properties for several years/decades now.

This is just copied and pasted from the properties window of the Recycle Bin, showing that what you wrote below is incorrect (and this has been the case for quite a while now, way before Windows10 because I recall doing this in 7 & 8 as well. Don’t recall XP, but I would be surprised if it was not available there as well):

Don't move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted. radio button  checked

Display delete confirmation dialog check box  checked

And because I like everyone else in this world of ours am nowhere near perfect, I keep that above option checked so it will give me this reminder which if I am unable to determine by then that I am most likely going to make a mistake? Well then, guess I need to pay a little more attention the next time around otherwise, uncheck the first option of actually using the Recycle Bin for what it has truly been created for.

Even though we all already know of this fact, we are all different and therefore do things differently regardless of however many differences or similarities there are involved. What works with one, will not necessarily work for the next so on and so forth, but there is definitely the option (as shown above) to remove the Display delete confirmation dialog if so desired.

Although it should be noted that if people want to set their machines in this way, they can't turn off the are you sure message.  I don't advocate that people use or don't use the recycle bin but I will say from experience that, though I am a careful computer user, I have on occasion, mistakenly deleted a file, mistakenly thinking it was something else I didn't need.

It's definitely possible if the user set it up this way within the properties of the Recycle Bin.

Thanks, that was the first thing I tried, nothing! It's not in there.
This machine must be set to not send stuff to the recycle bin, I
didn't think that was even possible.

Other suggestions welcome!

Thanks.
Dave.

On 5/18/19, Geoff Eden <geden1@...> wrote:
> Good morning Dave, how distressing! However, the cure is simple.
>
> Open search with your Windows key, and type recycle.
>
> This should open your recycle bin within which you can arrow to your
> downloads folder which you had deleted. Press the applications key and
> select restore.
>
> If it's a large folder it may take some time to follow your actions.
>
> Good luck
>
> Geoff

Gene

Just because the check box is there doesn't mean you can change this setting when bypass the recycle bin is the setting being used.  If you look up information, you will see that it can't be turned off when you have Windows set not to use the Recycle Bin.  Microsoft won't let you have the use of the recycle bin turned off and also not ask if you are sure you want to delete files or folders.

Although it should be noted that if people want to set their machines in this way, they can't turn off the are you sure message.  I don't advocate that people use or don't use the recycle bin but I will say from experience that, though I am a careful computer user, I have on occasion, mistakenly deleted a file, mistakenly thinking it was something else I didn't need.

It's definitely possible if the user set it up this way within the properties of the Recycle Bin.

Thanks, that was the first thing I tried, nothing! It's not in there.
This machine must be set to not send stuff to the recycle bin, I
didn't think that was even possible.

Other suggestions welcome!

Thanks.
Dave.

On 5/18/19, Geoff Eden <geden1@...> wrote:
> Good morning Dave, how distressing! However, the cure is simple.
>
> Open search with your Windows key, and type recycle.
>
> This should open your recycle bin within which you can arrow to your
> downloads folder which you had deleted. Press the applications key and
> select restore.
>
> If it's a large folder it may take some time to follow your actions.
>
> Good luck
>
> Geoff

Smiling?

Instead of you taking my word for it, simply go into your Recycle Bin and see for yourself that it is definitely possible ironically enough. I just did to clearly make sure and after the checkbox was unchecked, it did not ask me at all if I was sure that this was what I wanted to do. Just a little circumstantial evidence showing that one truly should not believe everything that they read online like Abraham Lincoln said back in the day.