How to find a person’s email address in outlook

Angelo Sonnesso

If you open the message, you can shift+tab to the from field.

73 N2DYN Angelo

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:41 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How to find a persons email address in outlook

I suspect there are easier ways to do this in Outlook.  I don't use Outlook but this sounds unduly cumbersome.  If I open the message properties in Windows Live Mail and look at the information in the details tab, I find the e-mail address, written properly and I can copy it to the clipboard.

Can you do the equivalent in Outlook or Thunderbird?

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:27 AM

Bill,

How to find email addresses?.

First things first, activate your view pane with F8. You'll need to keep it activated at least whenever you want to get any email address.
Press tab until you are on the "from" field.
Activate your Context Menu and you should find an option "copy name and email address" or something like that. Choose this option.

Now, if this is a groups.io mailing list, get ready because you'll need to do some acrobatics.

Ok, ready? Here we go.

Open your Notepad
Paste the email address. It should be something like john.doe@...
All you need to do, is to replace the equal symbol with the at. Besides that, you can delete everything after the email provider info (for example, yahoo.com.br). In this case, delete what comes after .br.
After editing what you've pasted, copy it again with CTRL+A CTRL+C and you finally should have the email address, now in its original form, ready to be pasted somewhere else.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Angelo,

If you open the message, you can shift+tab to the from field.

Even so, if the email is a masked one, you'll still need to edit it.
I don't know, it may be that I'm so used to do it that for me it's not an issue at all, nothing really complicated.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

It has been said that some lists don't show the person's address.  Your method would be useful on lists that do but is there a way to see the properties where the address might be shown even if it isn't shown in the from line?

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:42 AM

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:27 AM

[...]

I should have said to see the full headers since we can't assume that message properties would be the place to look in all programs.

Also, regarding another comment from another member, I have a vague recollection of a list or two I've been on only showing the person's name in the from field.  In such cases, I'm very curious if the address is available in the full headers.  I don't think I'm on any lists that show just the names now.

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:53 AM

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:42 AM

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:27 AM

[...]

Hi Gene,

What screen reader are you using?

73 N2DYN Angelo

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:42 AM

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:27 AM

[...]

Gene,
I should have said to see the full headers since we can't assume that message properties would be the place to look in all programs.
Oh, this really looks complicated for me. Way more easier to follow my method because you won't need to go through all these lines that isn't the one you're looking for, until you can reach said.
With my method, sure as I said you'll have to do some acrobatics but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to do it in a matter of seconds. Plus looking at headers the information isn't always on the same place, which would make things even more harder.

But that's just my way! :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

I'm using NVDA, but whether that is relevant to the procedure depends on what it is.  That's one reason I'm discussing seeing the message headers because that should be the same, regardless of screen-reader.

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 9:29 AM

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:42 AM

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:27 AM

[...]

There are a lot of headers but I just read a bit of each line until I get to a line that says from.  At least in Windows live mail, the line showing the address says from.  Also, you will get a sense over time of how far you can move really quickly down the headers without listening until you are close.  Your method may work for one program but I'm trying to find a method that works in any program, assuming you know how to look at the message headers in that program.  That's another question, whether it will work conveniently in general.  In Windows Live Mail, you can select a header and copy it to the clipboard.  I don't know if you can in a lot of programs.

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 9:40 AM

Gene,
I should have said to see the full headers since we can't assume that message properties would be the place to look in all programs.
Oh, this really looks complicated for me. Way more easier to follow my method because you won't need to go through all these lines that isn't the one you're looking for, until you can reach said.
With my method, sure as I said you'll have to do some acrobatics but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to do it in a matter of seconds. Plus looking at headers the information isn't always on the same place, which would make things even more harder.

But that's just my way! :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Angelo Sonnesso

It is the same, but There are a few less keystrokes with Jaws in stead of using shift + tab, you can use alt + 1 to get to the from field.

Go to the from field.

Select the name of the personyou are looking for, and press the application key, or shipf + F10, then press “D” that adds the person to your contacts,you can press tab until you here email edit, and there is the email address.

You can copy it to the clip board if you like.

If you press alt + S, you will save it to your contacts.

HTH

73 N2DYN Angelo

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 9:29 AM

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:42 AM

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:27 AM

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

So when I press Shift+Tab several times, I only got to Main Tech Talk and your name.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Paste the email address. It should be something like john.doe=something.com@groups.io <mailto:john.doe=something.com@groups.io>

Marcio <https://tinyurl.com/TlkTM>

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

I don't use Outlook.  Try the steps discussed in this article if you want to see them.

The article goes beyond telling you how to see them.  It discusses pasting them into Notepad.  This implies that you can select one line and copy that line to the clipboard.  So, if the from line is shown, which I expect it is, you can evidently do that.  If you prefer using the from line, you may be able to get the address from the headers if it isn't in the from line.