PayPal Account

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Logging onto my PayPal account, after entering my name and password, it insists that I put in my cell phone number for security.  This I WILL NOT do!  I can't get past that screen. Their service person says there is no way around it; but I have in the past and can't remember how I did it.  Has anyone else noticed this situation and figured out how to get in?  It seems that there must be a way.  Not everyone has a cell phone number and I won't admit that I do.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Howard

Bill and Marie Johnson

Howard put in an old or bogus number

--

Please join me at

MemoriesOfDaysGoneBy+subscribe@groups.io

HelpNeededList+subscribe@groups.io

Bill R Johnson

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Thanks Bill, but when I did that, it actually took it and then it said they would send an access code to that number that I would need to log in.  Well, even if I would put in my cell number, I don't take text messages; so I wouldn't get the access code anyway.  Sure hate to give up my PayPal account.  I've had it for almost twenty years and it's quite a convenience.

<HT>

On 5/21/2019 3:55 PM, Bill and Marie Johnson wrote:
Howard put in an old or bogus number

On 5/21/2019 2:35 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Logging onto my PayPal account, after entering my name and password, it
insists that I put in my cell phone number for security.  This I WILL
NOT do!  I can't get past that screen. Their service person says there
is no way around it; but I have in the past and can't remember how I did
it.  Has anyone else noticed this situation and figured out how to get
in?  It seems that there must be a way.  Not everyone has a cell phone
number and I won't admit that I do.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Howard

--

Please join me at

MemoriesOfDaysGoneBy+subscribe@groups.io

HelpNeededList+subscribe@groups.io

Bill R Johnson

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mich Verrier

Paypal number 1888 2211161 I think. From Mich.

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Yes, I did contact them by phone.  The agent told me that I could not get past the "put in your cell number" screen to see the rest of my account.  Does everyone in the world have a cell phone? Well, I'm not gonna give them mine.

On 5/21/2019 6:54 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Contact them by phone.  No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Yeh, Mich.  That's correct.

<HT>

On 5/21/2019 7:00 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
Paypal number 1888 2211161 I think. From Mich.

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

Victor

Hi everyone:

If you would like to open a PayPal account, I found it easy to do using an app for my iPhone. I realize that not everyone has a cell phone or a smart phone, but that might be the easiest way to start and run your PayPal account.

Just my thoughts,

Victor

On May 21, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Howard Traxler <howard@traxlerenterprises.com> wrote:

Yeh, Mich. That's correct.

<HT>

On 5/21/2019 7:00 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
Paypal number 1888 2211161 I think. From Mich.

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Thanks, Mitch for this info. FYI, the next time you write a phone number down, use the proper conventions so that a screen reader can read it properly. As you've written it it's really hard to decipher. It should look like this: (888) 221-1161. If you type it like that, a screen reader reads it correctly. You don't need to put the 1 in front of it. People in The States and Canada know they have to use the 1 if using a landline. You don't with a cell phone. Only time you'd need the 1 is when you use the country code. I believe it's 01 for the U.S. I'd have to look it up.

Ann P.

Paypal number 1888 2211161 I think. From Mich.
Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.
Ann P.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

The country code for the U.S., parts of Mexico, Canada and much of the
Caribbeans is 1; no 0 before or after the digit 1.

To place an international call from the U.S., the correct code to be dialled
is 011 for direct calls, 01 if placing a COLLECT CALL to an international
destination.

Under current dispensation, however, with phone calls being so cheap now,
placing collect calls anywhere has become unnecessary; VOIP and the
availability of prepaid calling cards are huge reasons for this development
and thanks in large measure to technology shifts. It should be noted that
in other countries, dashes are never used to separate numbers; rather,
spaces are deployed.

Aside from the areas indicated in this post, all other countries either have
a two- or three-digit country code; example: South Africa equals 27,
Australia equals 61; Ireland equals 353, Israel, 972! Each country has its
own unique way of placing international calls; for Europe, I believe that 00
has to be dialed before the target country code. Back in the day, calling
outside Britain requires the dialing of 010 before the country code of the
target country. In spite of new developments in the telecommunications
industry, there are countries where all international calls MUST PASS
through an international operator an such a one can listen in on the
caller's conversation and may be even record it. Once when I lived in
Montevideo, Uruguay and I needed to call London, England, I had to request a
call to the desired destination via an international operator and then
waited an hour or two for a 10-minute timed connection. Perhaps Skype,
WhatsApp, Telegram, Google Duo and Facebook Manager may have changed this
quite a bit especially for cell phone to cell phone calls.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Certainly do appreciate your thoughts, but:

I've had a paypal account for almost 20 years and always accessed it just fine using a windows computer and various screen readers. There is nothing wrong with the access, even now; however, as part of the logon procedure, they arre forcing me to put in my cell number as a security measure.  And then theyy (say) they will text me a code that I will need to access my account.

I will NOT N O T !! put in my cell number!  I DO NOT D O  N O T !! accept text messages!

There must be a way to dismiss that screen and go on to my account.  The screen has no skip or cancel choices.  I tried all 0s, and a made-up number.  The 0s were not accepted and they did try to text my security code to the made-up number.  I marginally abused they're customer representative on the phone.  All she offered was to close the account.

PayPal has been good and convenient over the years.  It's a service I don't want to loose.  I just thought maybe someone else here might have had the same experience and would have suggestions?

Thank you.

Howard

On 5/21/2019 11:30 PM, Victor wrote:
Hi everyone:

If you would like to open a PayPal account, I found it easy to do using an app for my iPhone. I realize that not everyone has a cell phone or a smart phone, but that might be the easiest way to start and run your PayPal account.

Just my thoughts,

Victor
On May 21, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Howard Traxler <howard@traxlerenterprises.com> wrote:

Yeh, Mich. That's correct.

<HT>

On 5/21/2019 7:00 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
Paypal number 1888 2211161 I think. From Mich.

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

NLG

Howard,I just accessed my paypal account and I don't have a cell phone number. Below the button to enter the cell phone number is a link that says not now. Click on that link and you will be logged in.

Hope this helps.

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Hi Victor,
I use PayPal on both the IPhone and the computer, but I find the IPhone app much the easier method even though I am a long time Windows devotee. Most things are faster and easier on the computer but this is not.
Marie

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Although I like the IPhone app for PayPal, I agree that using this method to verify your identity is unfair to those who do not want to use a smart phone. And I am finding more and more sites that use this same method.
Marie

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Thank you.  I'll take another look.  I've not seen a button or link with that title; at least before now.  Perhaps NVDA or firefox is just not showing it to me.

But then, does it keep coming up forever after you pass it that way?

Thanks.

Howard

On 5/22/2019 9:33 AM, NLG wrote:
Howard,I just accessed my paypal account and I don't have a cell phone number. Below the button to enter the cell phone number is a link that says not now. Click on that link and you will be logged in.

Hope this helps.

Contact them by phone. No, I don't have the number.

Ann P.

Gene

Why are you so insisttent in not putting in your number?  This is called two factor authentication and it is becoming increasingly common to help protect against hackers breaching accounts and doing things like stealing money or other personal information.  I haven't used Pay Pal for years and I don't know if it is now mandatory.  the support person told you it was but they may or may not be correct.  perhaps you can find out more by doing a Google search for something like Pay Pal two factor authentication and if you want to do another search if that one doesn't turn up what you are looking for, try the phrase mandatory two factor authentication after Pay Pal in the search field.

If it is now mandatory, you will either use two factor authentication, or not be able to use Pay Pal.  But again, why are you so adamant about not using your phone number for this purpose?

Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:21 AM

Certainly do appreciate your thoughts, but:

I've had a paypal account for almost 20 years and always accessed it
just fine using a windows computer and various screen readers. There is
nothing wrong with the access, even now; however, as part of the logon
procedure, they arre forcing me to put in my cell number as a security
measure.  And then theyy (say) they will text me a code that I will need
to access my account.

I will NOT N O T !! put in my cell number!  I DO NOT D O  N O T !!
accept text messages!

There must be a way to dismiss that screen and go on to my account.  The
screen has no skip or cancel choices.  I tried all 0s, and a made-up
number.  The 0s were not accepted and they did try to text my security
code to the made-up number.  I marginally abused they're customer
representative on the phone.  All she offered was to close the account.

PayPal has been good and convenient over the years.  It's a service I
don't want to loose.  I just thought maybe someone else here might have
had the same experience and would have suggestions?

Thank you.

Howard

On 5/21/2019 11:30 PM, Victor wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> If you would like to open a PayPal account, I found it easy to do using an app for my iPhone. I realize that not everyone has a cell phone or a smart phone, but that might be the easiest way to start and run your PayPal account.
>
> Just my thoughts,
>
> Victor
>> On May 21, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Howard Traxler <howard@...> wrote:
>>
>> Yeh, Mich.  That's correct.
>>
>> <HT>
>>

>>> On 5/21/2019 7:00 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
>>> Paypal number 1888 2211161 I think. From Mich.

Gene

You don't need a smart phone.  There are many accessible phones that are called feature phones that you can use to text.  I have one.

Certainly do appreciate your thoughts, but:

I've had a paypal account for almost 20 years and always accessed it
just fine using a windows computer and various screen readers. There is
nothing wrong with the access, even now; however, as part of the logon
procedure, they arre forcing me to put in my cell number as a security
measure.  And then theyy (say) they will text me a code that I will need
to access my account.

I will NOT N O T !! put in my cell number!  I DO NOT D O  N O T !!
accept text messages!

There must be a way to dismiss that screen and go on to my account.  The
screen has no skip or cancel choices.  I tried all 0s, and a made-up
number.  The 0s were not accepted and they did try to text my security
code to the made-up number.  I marginally abused they're customer
representative on the phone.  All she offered was to close the account.

PayPal has been good and convenient over the years.  It's a service I
don't want to loose.  I just thought maybe someone else here might have
had the same experience and would have suggestions?

Thank you.

Howard

On 5/21/2019 11:30 PM, Victor wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> If you would like to open a PayPal account, I found it easy to do using an
> app for my iPhone. I realize that not everyone has a cell phone or a smart
> phone, but that might be the easiest way to start and run your PayPal
> account.
>
> Just my thoughts,
>
> Victor
>> On May 21, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Howard Traxler
>> <howard@...> wrote:
>>
>> Yeh, Mich.  That's correct.
>>
>> <HT>
>>

>>> On 5/21/2019 7:00 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
>>> Paypal number 1888 2211161 I think. From Mich.

NLG

I just logged on to paypal again and this time, I was not asked for my cell phone number. BTW, I am using the latest versions of Firefox and Jaws for windows.

The not now is definitely a link not a button. Try searching for the phrase "not now" that may help.