Hard Drive Puzzel

Dave

Hello,

On one Win 7 Pro System, I have a 500 GB HD.  When I check the Space
used, and how much Free Space is left, I get that I only have about 10
GB of Free Space.

So, I listed all of my Folders, both Visible and Hidden on this drive,
and then Checked the Properties to see the Size of each Folder.

After Adding up all of these folders, I have 311 GB used.

Does anyone know where the other 190 GB might be hiding, or being used?

Oh, and this system is not hooked up to the Internet.  I do hook it up
when updates for Jaws or NVDA come along, but as a rule, it is not
attached to the internet.

Thanks for any comments,

Grumpy Dave

Walter Ramage

Hi. Try your recycle bin, that might be the issue. Walter.

On one Win 7 Pro System, I have a 500 GB HD. When I check the Space
used, and how much Free Space is left, I get that I only have about 10
GB of Free Space.

So, I listed all of my Folders, both Visible and Hidden on this drive,
and then Checked the Properties to see the Size of each Folder.

After Adding up all of these folders, I have 311 GB used.

Does anyone know where the other 190 GB might be hiding, or being used?

Oh, and this system is not hooked up to the Internet. I do hook it up
when updates for Jaws or NVDA come along, but as a rule, it is not
attached to the internet.

Thanks for any comments,

Grumpy Dave

Stephen W. Wise

Hi,

?????? Take a look at the following link to see if this may be your issue. I am not sure where your technical level is but there is a solution given in this article.

Windows 7 log file compression bug can fill up your hard drive

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3112358/windows-7-log-file-compression-bug-can-fill-up-your-hard-drive.html

I am not certain if this is your cause but it is one solution to look into.

HTH,

Stephen

On 6/5/2019 10:31 AM, Dave wrote:

Hello,

On one Win 7 Pro System, I have a 500 GB HD.?? When I check the Space
used, and how much Free Space is left, I get that I only have about 10
GB of Free Space.

So, I listed all of my Folders, both Visible and Hidden on this drive,
and then Checked the Properties to see the Size of each Folder.

After Adding up all of these folders, I have 311 GB used.

Does anyone know where the other 190 GB might be hiding, or being used?

Oh, and this system is not hooked up to the Internet.?? I do hook it up
when updates for Jaws or NVDA come along, but as a rule, it is not
attached to the internet.

Thanks for any comments,

Grumpy Dave

Smiling?

You're truly not going to actually get 500GB of capacity from a 500GB sized drive as I am sure you are well aware. So looking for 190GB of hidden data would be a bit much because if I recall correctly a 500GB drive would format to right around 465GB and that would most likely be using the File System of NTFS.

465GB minus 311GB would be 154GB. So you certainly have a decent amount of something hidden it seems.

I would run Disk Cleanup as was already suggested and see what comes up (steps below if needed).

Open up the Run Dialogue by using the keystroke of Windows+R.
Type in cleanmgr and press Enter.
Disk Cleanup will open up.