Topics

Speech with an Android Phone

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

My wife has an Android phone. She is having difficulties with it. It is an off brand--something called an Alcatel track phone. I have an iPhone and i have become quite proficient with it.  I figure that if I had speech for this android, and with a bit of research, I might be able to help her.

How does one turn on speech on this kind of phone?  What is the screen reader for this Alcatel Android track phone?  I would look up basic command for the screen reader once it is turned on. Maybe they have a help system like the Voice Over on the iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

I believe the voice over feature on an android phone is called talk back. It could also be something called voice assistant.

Ashley Breger

On Jun 6, 2019, at 9:48 PM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

Hi Group,

My wife has an Android phone. She is having difficulties with it. It is an off brand--something called an Alcatel track phone. I have an iPhone and i have become quite proficient with it. I figure that if I had speech for this android, and with a bit of research, I might be able to help her.

How does one turn on speech on this kind of phone? What is the screen reader for this Alcatel Android track phone? I would look up basic command for the screen reader once it is turned on. Maybe they have a help system like the Voice Over on the iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

How does one turn on Talk Back or voice assistant?

On 6/6/2019 11:37 PM, Ashley Breger via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

There are screen readers either under development, or making the rounds in
Android Land. For now, the major one is Talkback developed by Google
itself! VoiceAssistant will only be found on Samsung phones particularly
its high-end ones!

I don't have an Alcatel toy; however, for a start, what have you done to get
your wife's toy working? If nothing, turn it on, wait about 30 seconds or
so, then place two fingers on the face of the toy and wait till speech comes
on then follow the prompts. Do you perchance know which Android version the
toy runs on?

Ok, if referring to your device as a toy robs off wrongly, pardon me, one of
my buddies and I consider these tools as toys and, if you've read any of my
notes to the list, you may have heard me refer to My Shiny Android Toys!

Private contact welcomed if I can help further; else, post your questions in
this space.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Pamela Dominguez

Ron. If it's a flip, pushbutton phone, it does not have talk back. I don't know what it's called. It just says screenreader in the menu. Unfortunately, I think you may have to get a sighted person to turn it on. Pam.

[...]

---
https://www.avg.com

Ron Canazzi

I did a google search and figured this out.

On 6/6/2019 11:54 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Mine has TalkBack.  I found what I needed to know with a google search.

-----Original Message----- From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 11:54 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Chris G

Depends on the version of Android.
8.0 (Oreo) or later you would press and hold the volume buttons for three seconds.
Previous to Oreo you would press and hold two fingers on the screen until Talkback comes on. This is during the first time startup.