Internet Explorer

Shelly Kane

Hi Group:

Lately, when I log into internet explorer, it says msn.com and gives me all of these choices.  I type in the address I want and it seems OK.  Does anyone know why it would automatically go to msn.com instead of my home page?  Also does anyone know how I would change it back?  Does this browser need to maximized? Thanks in advance for your help.

Shelly

Gene

If you aren't seeing everything that should be on screen or you are uncertain, then maximizing might solve such problems.  But that has nothing to do with your problem. 

Try the following.  If it doesn't work, then something has gotten into your browser making it go to the MSN.com page and it will have to be removed. Some sites or unwanted programs do this. 

But first try this.  You may find differences but they should be minor.  I don't use Internet Explorer and I never updated it so these instructions are based on an older version.
First, open the web page you want to be the home page.
Then open tools with alt t. 
After that, open options with o.
Tab until you get to a button that says use current.  Press the space bar.
Tab to the ok button and activate it. 
Close the browser and open it.  See what page it goes to. 
Let us know the results.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 2:03 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Internet Explorer

Hi Group:

Lately, when I log into internet explorer, it says msn.com and gives me
all of these choices.  I type in the address I want and it seems OK. 
Does anyone know why it would automatically go to msn.com instead of my
home page?  Also does anyone know how I would change it back?  Does this
browser need to maximized? Thanks in advance for your help.

Shelly

Vicki W

That happened to me awhile back after making Chrome my default browser. I simply went into the options of IE and reset my home page. From then on, it went there instead of MSN.

Vicki

To: "tech talk" <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 12:03 AM

Hi Group:

Lately, when I log into internet explorer, it says msn.com and gives me all of these choices. I type in the address I want and it seems OK. Does anyone know why it would automatically go to msn.com instead of my home page? Also does anyone know how I would change it back? Does this browser need to maximized? Thanks in advance for your help.

Shelly

Veronica Kirk

That has been happening to me as well on my windows 7 computer. However, it did not start occurring until after I set up an account on my computer with windows 10.

Veronica

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shelly Kane
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 2:04 AM
To: tech talk <main@techtalk.groups.io>

Hi Group:

Lately, when I log into internet explorer, it says msn.com and gives me all of these choices. I type in the address I want and it seems OK. Does anyone know why it would automatically go to msn.com instead of my home page? Also does anyone know how I would change it back? Does this browser need to maximized? Thanks in advance for your help.

Shelly

Holly

Veronica:

When I open I.E. lately, I get a dialog box that wants me to OK the Microsoft recommended settings.

If you OK this, they will switch your home page to MSN and Bing.

You will have to go back and re-set your home page.

Shelly Kane

Gene:

Thank you so much.  I did what you suggested and when I reopened the browser, I got this thing from Microsoft giving me all of these choices and the box was checked for making it my home page and I unchecked the box and it right to the one I wanted.  Let's hope this sticks.

Shelly

Shelly Kane

Glad that I'm not the only one dealing with this.  It just seemed really strange because I didn't do anything to switch it.  I honestly think it had to do with making Chrome my default browser.  I certainly won't be doing that again.  If I ever have to switch again, I will try Firefox.  I don't like Chrome at all. It reads pages much differently than internet explorer.

Shelly

On 6/30/2019 10:26 PM, Holly wrote:
Veronica:

When I open I.E. lately, I get a dialog box that wants me to OK the Microsoft recommended settings.

If you OK this, they will switch your home page to MSN and Bing.

You will have to go back and re-set your home page.

Gene

I'm glad it worked.  That's interesting about you seeing the check boxes.  I don't know why you were shown them, but it allowed you to do what you wanted.

Gene

Sent: Monday, July 01, 2019 1:21 AM

Gene:

Thank you so much.  I did what you suggested and when I reopened the
browser, I got this thing from Microsoft giving me all of these choices
and the box was checked for making it my home page and I unchecked the
box and it right to the one I wanted.  Let's hope this sticks.

Shelly

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

That happens after an update. Just open IE to the page you want to be your home page and then go to tools, Internet options and click on the button use current, then click OK.

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Internet Explorer

That has been happening to me as well on my windows 7 computer. However, it did not start occurring until after I set up an account on my computer with windows 10.

Veronica

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shelly Kane
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 2:04 AM

Hi Group:

Shelly

Carolyn Arnold

Thank you all. I just go to Google to browse, so glad to know what to expect in IE, if I should go there.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Sent: Monday, July 1, 2019 2:21 AM

Gene:

Thank you so much. I did what you suggested and when I reopened the browser, I got this thing from Microsoft giving me all of these choices and the box was checked for making it my home page and I unchecked the box and it right to the one I wanted. Let's hope this sticks.

Shelly