From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith S
Sent: 10 July 2019 17:21
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] win rar compression client question

Hi, I am  trying to compress a folder of recipes to send to 2 people.  I only have the win rar program on my computer.

I cannot seem to get the recipes folder to appear in the add dialog or direct the program to find it.

Is there a better client to use to compress and email folders like this?

Are there any that would allow a self-extracting archive to be created, like the old winzip program?

Thanks

Keith

Are you saying that when you use send to, compressed zip folder isn’t one of the items?  You can just send it as a zip file, the majority of users don’t have an unrar program.  They do have aan unzip program because it comes with Windows.

I’ll provide instructions because I don’t know what you know.

Select the two items you want to zip, open the context menu, find open with and ;press enter.  Compressed zip folder should be the item you are on.  Press enter.  The files or folders will be compressed.
The zip file will be at the bottom of the list until you refresh the list.  Change the name to whatever you want.

Hi, I am  trying to compress a folder of recipes to send to 2 people.  I only have the win rar program on my computer.

I cannot seem to get the recipes folder to appear in the add dialog or direct the program to find it.

Is there a better client to use to compress and email folders like this?

Are there any that would allow a self-extracting archive to be created, like the old winzip program?

Thanks

Keith

Keith,
Is there a better client to use to compress and email folders like this?
You could try 7-Zip.
The program is totally accessible for what you're trying to do and very easy to use.
However the Windows itself has a ZIP utility. At this time I believe Gene answered your question based on this, so if you don't want to bother downloading another application, go with it. Either way you can't go wrong :)

Hth
Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Blaster

Using WinRAR, open your windows file explorer and navigate to the
folder that you want to compress.

Press the applications key and arrow down to the selection titled "add
to archive" and press the enter key.

This will open WinRAR and it will place you on a text box with the
folder's name already typed in there with a .rar extention. Just leave
it for now and tab a couple of times until you hear an option for
archive types.

It's a radio button and the .zip option is the third option, so press
the spacebar to select it.

Keep tabbing down the page until you get to a checkbox titled "create
a SFX archive" and check this box, it's the option to create a self
extracting .EXE file out of your .ZIP archive.

Keep tabbing past the OK and Cancel buttons and it will loop back to
the top, right at the text box where you can rename your new archive
with any name you choose, you'll notice WinRAR already added the .exe
extension.

When your done, just tab back to the ok button and press the enter key
to start compressing.

HTH,
Blaster

On 7/10/19, Marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
Keith,
Is there a better client to use to compress and email folders like this?
You could try 7-Zip <https://7-zip.org>.

Marcio <https://tinyurl.com/TlkTM>
AKA /Starboy/

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Gene

It’s a much better idea to just zip the file for the following reasons: e-mail providers don't allow exe extensions.  Also, if you zip the file using extract all, you wont have to bother changing the winrar settings.