email lists for discussing old access technology?

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

Hi,

Are there any active email lists for discussing old access technology? As in access technology in computers from say, 2005 on back to 1970 or 1960 or so? I’d like to find a list where decTalk, softVoice tts, windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, the early xp days, asap screen reader for dos, etcetera, can be discussed. This includes old synthesizers such as accent, appollo2, doubletalk, multiVoice, text-assist, decTalk and its various speak windows applications which I did get working with jaws in windows10, and more. To use the decTalk speak windows you have to turn on the jaws legacy accessibility drivers in your default jaws configuration under miscellaneous in the jaws settings center. Then the speak windows work and you can click the different graphics with the jaws cursor. I wish jaws would add drivers for:

softVoice tts, bring back decTalk access32, and add a sam driver and would support the old orpheus2 synthesizer which NVDA currently supports through an addon.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dave

Hello,

Your post sure brought back a few memories.

I started taking Computer Classes in the late 1970's, and at that time,
Radio Shack had just released their Model 1 Home Computer. Nothing
Talked yet, but I was eagerly awaiting such a thing to be invented.

had to wait until the early 1980's before someone made a basic screen
reader for the Radio Shack Model 3 and 4 systems.  TRSDOS anyone
remember that?   Ha ha!

Crude and Limited by today's standards but those early Systems really
opened some doors for me, and still do today.

All of those Synthesizers, Drivers and all the Headaches getting them to
work, also brings back a few memories.

Those voices of the old Echo GP, very Robotic, but once you acquired an
Ear for how it spoke, it became my favorite until I managed to purchase
a real Deal Deck Talk Card.

In some ways, I still Miss using MS Dos.  Programs were smaller, but
better written, as those programs had limited resources to use while
operating.

And then along came MS Windows 3.1.   Life has never been quite the same
since.

I do recall a program that was actually better than MS Windows. It was
called Geo-Works.  And it too allow the operation of more than one
program at the same time.   it was much faster, and a lot less intrusive.

But, Microsoft had the Market Share for MS Dos, and who ever produced
Geo-Works never had a chance.

Since then Computers have gotten a lot faster, and the operating Systems
are a lot more Complicated.   But, many of the tasks and concepts are
still the same as they were back in the good ol' days of DOS.  But the
tasks have changed names several times and how to do those tasks have
also changed several times too.

Seems there is always the need to relearn what you once thought you
knew, but to keep up with the latest stuff, you again need to Re-learn
the same stuff but now its different!

And if I didn't have the use of a Computer, I don't know what I would
do.  So much of my daily life is spent sitting in front of a System
doing work, and then recreation after work.

Computers, hate them of Love them, but today it's hard to be without one.

Grumpy Dave

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

well I like using decTalk with NVDA, and also playing around with the decTalk speaking notePad applications, even though the graphics are not labeled. DecTalk 4.3 is my favorite decTalk demo app. Oh and I also have text-assist running inside of windows 3.1. But it sounds just like decTalk, and there really is no difference.

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

I emailed fonixTalk or whatever they are called now about using decTalk. would you believe they want a starting price of $9000.00 united states dollars for the old decTalk developer kit, sdk? I told them no, I'll just use the free decTalk stuff that is currently available around the internet for free. It's that old I don't think they really care because people for the most part have moved onto eloquence or Nuance vocalizer voices anyway. Is there anyone on here who still uses infovox230? the old from from telia promotor back in the late 1990s early 2000s?

Josh

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

I think my DECtalk experience goes back a bit further.  Those first DECtalks from about 1982 were about $4000 and they were pretty sluggish and mushy-sounding.  I have five of them I'd like to get shed of before my grandchildren have to throw them away.  Also have several DECtalk (full-sized) boards that go into an ISA slot in the first IBM clones.  Also have a couple DECtalk Express.  Some other synthesizers, too; and I think they all work.

On 7/16/2019 9:20 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
I emailed fonixTalk or whatever they are called now about using decTalk. would you believe they want a starting price of $9000.00 united states dollars for the old decTalk developer kit, sdk? I told them no, I'll just use the free decTalk stuff that is currently available around the internet for free. It's that old I don't think they really care because people for the most part have moved onto eloquence or Nuance vocalizer voices anyway. Is there anyone on here who still uses infovox230? the old from from telia promotor back in the late 1990s early 2000s?

Josh

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Josh & List:

Some firms never take into account that the product is ancient, thus should be seriously reduced in price.

I believe DECTALK is still sad for announcements in telephony, so that may justify the insane SDK price.

Brian K. Lingard