Receiving a call on your Alexa or Google device?

Vicky Vaughan

Hi List, I know that you can tell either the Alexa or the Google device to call a particular phone number, but I have not been able to figure out if it is possible for someone to call you and have it come through your device.

When I Googled this question, I have found links that say that they will talk about making and receiving calls with these devices, but never really answers the receiving part.  All it says is something about the green glow.  So, does this mean that we who are without sight, cannot receive calls, since we won’t know that we are getting one?

If they told their device to call you, it would ring your land line or cell phone.

I would like to know this for times that my iPhone is having trouble.

Thanks for any help to understand this.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Holly

Hi Vicky:

The echo device will also make a sound alert when a call is coming in.  Here is a link to a bit more info on answering  calls on your echo device.

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

You get an alert when someone is calling you on your amazon Alexa device. I have a dot third Generation or a Show 5 in every room and I get calls routinely. I hear an alert and I say Wake Word answer and then the individual comes on just like it is a speaker phone.

Merv

For all things Echo:

main+subscribe@echoing.groups.io

Hi List, I know that you can tell either the Alexa or the Google device to call a particular phone number, but I have not been able to figure out if it is possible for someone to call you and have it come through your device.

When I Googled this question, I have found links that say that they will talk about making and receiving calls with these devices, but never really answers the receiving part.  All it says is something about the green glow.  So, does this mean that we who are without sight, cannot receive calls, since we won’t know that we are getting one?

If they told their device to call you, it would ring your land line or cell phone.

I would like to know this for times that my iPhone is having trouble.

Thanks for any help to understand this.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Vicky Vaughan

Sounds wonderful!

Would an alert sound like the alarm or timer?

How does the person who is calling you address the call to your device?

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Hi List, I know that you can tell either the Alexa or the Google device to call a particular phone number, but I have not been able to figure out if it is possible for someone to call you and have it come through your device.

When I Googled this question, I have found links that say that they will talk about making and receiving calls with these devices, but never really answers the receiving part.  All it says is something about the green glow.  So, does this mean that we who are without sight, cannot receive calls, since we won’t know that we are getting one?

If they told their device to call you, it would ring your land line or cell phone.

I would like to know this for times that my iPhone is having trouble.

Thanks for any help to understand this.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Barb O'Connor

This article is referring to Echo connect. I don’t think that’s what Vicki was asking about.

Barb

On Jul 24, 2019, at 4:06 PM, Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...> wrote:

[...]

It doesn’t sound like the alarm or the timer. To call someone you say Wake Word call name of person in your Alexa contact list. When you are done you say wake word end call.

[...]

andrew edgcumbe <rollercoasterman86@...>

i have an alexa myself when you call somebody you say alexa or your
set wake word and say call number or have it call the number say
number right out or you can hang up by saying wake word hang up.

On Jul 24, 2019, at 4:06 PM, Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I’m sorry Merv, apparently, I’m not making myself clear.  What I am wondering is how would a person get their device to call my device? Since they cannot use my phone number, because that would of course go through to my phone and would not affect my device in any way.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Hi List, I know that you can tell either the Alexa or the Google device to call a particular phone number, but I have not been able to figure out if it is possible for someone to call you and have it come through your device.

When I Googled this question, I have found links that say that they will talk about making and receiving calls with these devices, but never really answers the receiving part.  All it says is something about the green glow.  So, does this mean that we who are without sight, cannot receive calls, since we won’t know that we are getting one?

If they told their device to call you, it would ring your land line or cell phone.

I would like to know this for times that my iPhone is having trouble.

Thanks for any help to understand this.

Sincerely, Vicky V

andrew edgcumbe <rollercoasterman86@...>

with google homes they can't call each other but two alexa's can call
each other if they are set up

main+subscribe@echoing.groups.io <mailto:main+subscribe@echoing.groups.io>

Hi List, I know that you can tell either the Alexa or the Google device to
call a particular phone number, but I have not been able to figure out if
it is possible for someone to call you and have it come through your
device.

When I Googled this question, I have found links that say that they will
talk about making and receiving calls with these devices, but never really
answers the receiving part. All it says is something about the green glow.
So, does this mean that we who are without sight, cannot receive calls,
since we won't know that we are getting one?

If they told their device to call you, it would ring your land line or cell
phone.

I would like to know this for times that my iPhone is having trouble.

Thanks for any help to understand this.

Sincerely, Vicky V

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_ca
mpaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Virus-free.
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_ca
mpaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> www.avg.com

---
https://www.avg.com

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

wish i could get this feature in my google home mini outside of the US

[...]

Vicky:

You have to go into your Alexa app and tap on ‘communication’, then you can add contacts to your list of people you want to call using Alexa.  They must also have an echo device to receive calls from you.

chris judge

I was wondering that as well. I’m guessing the echo needs to be associated to your mobile number, so how does one get the call on the echo instead of the phone?

Hi List, I know that you can tell either the Alexa or the Google device to call a particular phone number, but I have not been able to figure out if it is possible for someone to call you and have it come through your device.

When I Googled this question, I have found links that say that they will talk about making and receiving calls with these devices, but never really answers the receiving part.  All it says is something about the green glow.  So, does this mean that we who are without sight, cannot receive calls, since we won’t know that we are getting one?

If they told their device to call you, it would ring your land line or cell phone.

I would like to know this for times that my iPhone is having trouble.

Thanks for any help to understand this.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Pamela Dominguez

Okay, how does google or amazon alexa know the person's number? Pam.

[...]

Carrie Morales

You're going to have them know your contacts or you can also just dictate the number.

Another cool thing is that if you are calling a business and it's one of those places where you have to press one for this or two for that or whatever, you can say Wake word, and then say press whatever number.

Carrie Morales
http://liveaccessible.com
YouTube: http://youtube.com/liveaccessible
Twitter, Facebook &Instagram: @LiveAccessible

"Blindness or Low Vision does not define or limit you "

On 7/24/19, Barb O'Connor <broconnor1972@...> wrote:
> This article is referring to Echo connect. I don’t think that’s what Vicki
> was asking about.
>
> Barb
>> On Jul 24, 2019, at 4:06 PM, Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds wonderful!
>>
>> Would an alert sound like the alarm or timer?
>>
>> How does the person who is calling you address the call to your device?
>>
>> Thanks very much!
>>
>> Sincerely, Vicky V

---
https://www.avg.com

Chris G <chris@...>

If you have a land line, you can get a device called “Echo Connect.”

This is a little box that connects to your phone.  You can use Alexa to call, and when your phone rings she will announce the caller.  You can then say Alexa answer.”  She will answer.  She is now a hands free speaker phone.