Notifications Window Really Getting Annoying


Steve Matzura
 

Every time a Windows 10 notification appears that of course cannot be read, some programs' windows become unreadable. Winamp is one of these. Until the notification is cleared, Winamp is completely inaccessible. There are others, but they're not very common so I won't list them. Does anybody have any ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions, as to how to read these notifications and get rid of them? I had one yesterday for a Java run-time update, now today I have another one that I just can't find anywhere. Sometimes a Malwarebytes update will display one of these kinds of windows, too, so I looked into that. No updates pending. Sometimes regular old Windows Update does it; ditto, no updates pending today. I tried restarting Windows, and still no access. This is just maddening! And of course, JAWS says there's no window to OCR. Ditto NVDA, just in case you think to ask. Any ideas greatly appreciated.


Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...>
 

Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:
Does anybody have any ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions, as to how to read
these notifications and get rid of them? I had one yesterday for a Java
run-time update, now today I have another one that I just can't find
anywhere.
You have to go into action center with windows+a and clear them out. There's also usually a setting in there about blocking such notifications too, on a per-app basis.


Marten Post Uiterweer
 

Steve,

In ver 1903 you can sometimes set focus to that window with win=sihft=v.
But it is an iritating problem.

Marten

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 10:40:53 -0400 "Steve Matzura" <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:

Every time a Windows 10 notification appears that of course cannot be read, some programs' windows become unreadable. Winamp is one of these. Until the notification is cleared, Winamp is completely inaccessible. There are others, but they're not very common so I won't list them. Does anybody have any ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions, as to how to read these notifications and get rid of them? I had one yesterday for a Java run-time update, now today I have another one that I just can't find anywhere. Sometimes a Malwarebytes update will display one of these kinds of windows, too, so I looked into that. No updates pending. Sometimes regular old Windows Update does it; ditto, no updates pending today. I tried restarting Windows, and still no access. This is just maddening! And of course, JAWS says there's no window to OCR. Ditto NVDA, just in case you think to ask. Any ideas greatly appreciated.



Jaffar Sidek
 

Hi.  Press windows key plus a to see if it helps.  Usually these notifications come from the action center, so you might be able to clear from there.  Other than that, i can't think of anything else.  Cheers!

On 7/26/2019 10:40 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
Every time a Windows 10 notification appears that of course cannot be read, some programs' windows become unreadable. Winamp is one of these. Until the notification is cleared, Winamp is completely inaccessible. There are others, but they're not very common so I won't list them. Does anybody have any ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions, as to how to read these notifications and get rid of them? I had one yesterday for a Java run-time update, now today I have another one that I just can't find anywhere. Sometimes a Malwarebytes update will display one of these kinds of windows, too, so I looked into that. No updates pending. Sometimes regular old Windows Update does it; ditto, no updates pending today. I tried restarting Windows, and still no access. This is just maddening! And of course, JAWS says there's no window to OCR. Ditto NVDA, just in case you think to ask. Any ideas greatly appreciated.



Steve Matzura
 

Firstly, the Actions Center is absolutely bereft of anything except the normal two buttons--Tablet Mode and Expand Quick Actions. Secondly, if I  knew which application is doing this, I'd turn it off, but there's no such setting that I can find with which to do it.


P.S.: I was wrong about NVDA suffering from the same annoying problem. It does not.

On 7/26/2019 10:43 AM, Rob Hudson wrote:
Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:
Does anybody have any ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions, as to how to read
these notifications and get rid of them? I had one yesterday for a Java
run-time update, now today I have another one that I just can't find
anywhere.


Mike B <mb69mach1@...>
 


Hi Steve,
 
If you install Winaero Tweaker it has an option to turn the Action Center off in the, Desktop and Taskbar, category, it's #8.
 
 
With winaero tweaker, scroll down through the catigories and find what you want, its really descriptive.
 
If you are still not sure there is a button to go to the page on winaero and it explains what the tweak does.
 
The tweaks can be toggled on and off.
 
There are actually keys to restore things back to where they are so you can toggle things on and off, there are enable and disable buttons.
 
 

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Notifications Window Really Getting Annoying

Firstly, the Actions Center is absolutely bereft of anything except the
normal two buttons--Tablet Mode and Expand Quick Actions. Secondly, if
I knew which application is doing this, I'd turn it off, but there's no
such setting that I can find with which to do it.


P.S.: I was wrong about NVDA suffering from the same annoying problem.
It does not.


On 7/26/2019 10:43 AM, Rob Hudson wrote:
> Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:
>> Does  anybody have any ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions, as to how to read
>> these notifications and get rid of them? I had one yesterday for a Java
>> run-time update, now today I have another one that I just can't find
>> anywhere.
>



Steve Matzura
 

Why would I want to turn that off? If I did that, I'd lose a lot of important real notifications that show up in there. And I still say this other notification window is not related to the Actions Center.


On 7/26/2019 4:10 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Steve,
 
If you install Winaero Tweaker it has an option to turn the Action Center off in the, Desktop and Taskbar, category, it's #8.
 
 
With winaero tweaker, scroll down through the catigories and find what you want, its really descriptive.
 
If you are still not sure there is a button to go to the page on winaero and it explains what the tweak does.
 
The tweaks can be toggled on and off.
 
There are actually keys to restore things back to where they are so you can toggle things on and off, there are enable and disable buttons.
 
 

Take care.  Mike.


Mike B <mb69mach1@...>
 


Hi Steve,
 
Only to confirm or deny it's an Action Center notification.  Have you tried using the touch cursor in the Action Center?  Have you tried changing the time so maybe this notification will display longer?

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Notifications Window Really Getting Annoying

Why would I want to turn that off? If I did that, I'd lose a lot of important real notifications that show up in there. And I still say this other notification window is not related to the Actions Center.


On 7/26/2019 4:10 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Steve,
 
If you install Winaero Tweaker it has an option to turn the Action Center off in the, Desktop and Taskbar, category, it's #8.
 
 
With winaero tweaker, scroll down through the catigories and find what you want, its really descriptive.
 
If you are still not sure there is a button to go to the page on winaero and it explains what the tweak does.
 
The tweaks can be toggled on and off.
 
There are actually keys to restore things back to where they are so you can toggle things on and off, there are enable and disable buttons.
 
 

Take care.  Mike.


Steve Matzura
 

Changing the time will not fix anything, especially if it's been hours since I was last at the machine's console. Whatever's doing this, it comes and goes, is most annoying, and I'm just going to have to live with it unless or until somebody at a higher level of understanding than mine figures it out and fixes it.


On 7/26/2019 5:44 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Steve,
 
Only to confirm or deny it's an Action Center notification.  Have you tried using the touch cursor in the Action Center?  Have you tried changing the time so maybe this notification will display longer?


George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>
 

Open settings with windows key plus i.
Tab once.  System should be highlighted.  If not, arrow to it. When system is highlighted, press spacebar.
Tab once to the list of system settings.
Down arrow twice to notifications and actions and press spacebar.
Tab 5 times to a toggle button labeled show me the windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in.
If the button says pressed, press spacebar to unpress it.
Tab once to a toggle button labeled get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use windows.  If it says pressed, press spacebar to unpress it.
tab once to a toggle button labeled get notifications from apps and other senders.  It is probably pressed.  Leave it alone for now.
Press tab again.  You will be in a group called Get Notifications From These Senders.
You can tab through the list of senders.  Each sender has two buttons; a regular one and a toggle button.
Toggle them to not pressed one at a time until you isolate the culprit.

Hth,
George

On 7/26/2019 12:47 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
Firstly, the Actions Center is absolutely bereft of anything except the normal two buttons--Tablet Mode and Expand Quick Actions. Secondly, if I  knew which application is doing this, I'd turn it off, but there's no such setting that I can find with which to do it.


P.S.: I was wrong about NVDA suffering from the same annoying problem. It does not.


On 7/26/2019 10:43 AM, Rob Hudson wrote:
Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:
Does  anybody have any ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions, as to how to read
these notifications and get rid of them? I had one yesterday for a Java
run-time update, now today I have another one that I just can't find
anywhere.


Steve Matzura
 

Thank you. Ver'r'r'ry useful info.

On 7/27/2019 12:32 PM, George McCoy wrote:
Open settings with windows key plus i.
Tab once.  System should be highlighted.  If not, arrow to it. When system is highlighted, press spacebar.
Tab once to the list of system settings.
Down arrow twice to notifications and actions and press spacebar.
Tab 5 times to a toggle button labeled show me the windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in.
If the button says pressed, press spacebar to unpress it.
Tab once to a toggle button labeled get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use windows.  If it says pressed, press spacebar to unpress it.
tab once to a toggle button labeled get notifications from apps and other senders.  It is probably pressed.  Leave it alone for now.
Press tab again.  You will be in a group called Get Notifications From These Senders.
You can tab through the list of senders.  Each sender has two buttons; a regular one and a toggle button.
Toggle them to not pressed one at a time until you isolate the culprit.

Hth,
George

On 7/26/2019 12:47 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
Firstly, the Actions Center is absolutely bereft of anything except the normal two buttons--Tablet Mode and Expand Quick Actions. Secondly, if I  knew which application is doing this, I'd turn it off, but there's no such setting that I can find with which to do it.


P.S.: I was wrong about NVDA suffering from the same annoying problem. It does not.