Microphone Sensitivity on the Braillenote Touch Plus

Debbie April Yuille

Hi all

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the sensitivity of the BN Touch Plus Microphone. I find when doing a recording, most sounds are quite distorted.

Thanks

Debbie

Jaffar Sidek

Is it built in or an external microphone?

On 7/30/2019 2:58 PM, Debbie April Yuille wrote:

Hi all

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the sensitivity of the BN Touch Plus Microphone. I find when doing a recording, most sounds are quite distorted.

Thanks

Debbie

Gene

It sounds like the question is how to reduce recording volume.  Sensativity is how well a microphone picks up soft or more distant sounds.  If anyone knows how to adjust the actual recording volume, that may well solve the problem.

It might be useful to know if the microphone is external.  If lowering the volume doesn't help, then perhaps the external microphone has too high an output, but that isn't likely the problem.

Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Microphone Sensitivity on the Braillenote Touch Plus

Is it built in or an external microphone?

On 7/30/2019 2:58 PM, Debbie April Yuille wrote:

Hi all

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the sensitivity of the BN Touch Plus Microphone. I find when doing a recording, most sounds are quite distorted.

Thanks

Debbie

Gene,
Sensativity is how well a microphone picks up soft or more distant sounds. If anyone knows how to adjust the actual recording volume, that may well solve the problem.
I agree in part with you.
Sensitivity can be responsible for such distortions as well, specially if it is too high and the person is recording from a close point to the microphone.
I'd say then that it's important to reach a balance between volume and sensitivity.
Sensitivity can distort a record as much as the volume if one of them isn't set up correctly.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

I'm not sure if I would understand the technical definition of microphone sensativity if I looked at it slowly and carefully.  I may not have enough technical background.  I looked it up and I didn't understand what I read.  But, if it is reasonable to think of it more or less analogically to a radio, a radio that is more sensative can pick up more distant stations and there is no relation that I know of between sensativity and the strength of the signal that is fed into the amplifier by the receiving part of the radio.

I don't know if there are any adjustments for microphone sensativity.  I've never seen one.  And in daily use, when I've heard people talk about a microphone being sensative, it means it can pick up more distant sources more clearly and loudly at a proper volume level than a less sensative microphone would.  In other words, you can set the volume of an insensative microphone so it picks up you speaking well two inches away from your mouth.  At a distance of ten feet, a more sensative microphone, set to the correct volume, so that the level of someone speaking two inches away is correct, will pick up a sound better than a less sensative microphone with the identical sound at the same distance, identical in volume, frequency    , all ways.  That is my laymen's understanding and explanation.  others may have more technical knowledge and may give a technical definition.

Of course, some microphones have higher outputs than others, but you change the volume of the device you are using to record.  I've never heard of adjusting the characteristics of a microphone such as sensativity.

Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:14 PM

Gene,
Sensativity is how well a microphone picks up soft or more distant sounds. If anyone knows how to adjust the actual recording volume, that may well solve the problem.
I agree in part with you.
Sensitivity can be responsible for such distortions as well, specially if it is too high and the person is recording from a close point to the microphone.
I'd say then that it's important to reach a balance between volume and sensitivity.
Sensitivity can distort a record as much as the volume if one of them isn't set up correctly.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Here is a brief quote written for the layman.
https://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/audio-recording-buying-guides/buying-guide-microphones
Sensitivity refers to how quiet a sound the mic can detect, and it is expressed using different systems. Regardless of the system, it is perhaps enough to know that the lower the number, the more sensitive the microphone is.

I interpret this as saying something similar to what I'm saying, perhaps not exactly the same.  But as you see, what I quoted made no reference to more or less sensative microphones having higher or lower output levels because they are more or less sensative and, although I didn't read much further, I don't think such a statement is made.

Gene I don't think

Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:14 PM

Gene,
Sensativity is how well a microphone picks up soft or more distant sounds. If anyone knows how to adjust the actual recording volume, that may well solve the problem.
I agree in part with you.
Sensitivity can be responsible for such distortions as well, specially if it is too high and the person is recording from a close point to the microphone.
I'd say then that it's important to reach a balance between volume and sensitivity.
Sensitivity can distort a record as much as the volume if one of them isn't set up correctly.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Gene,
Your understanding of microphone sensitivity is, as far as I could see, correct.

Now, you said:
I've never heard of adjusting the characteristics of a microphone such as sensativity.
Well if we're talking about setting up on the microphone itself, neither did I. But if we're talking about setting it on Windows, for example, then there is a sensitivity slider as well as a volume one, on the very same place :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

I don't know how common that slider is.  I have never seen one.  But I doubt it has anything to do with adjusting the ssensativity of the microphone.  I suspect it has something to do with adjusting an enhancement in the software that somehow alters the way the software records the sound from the microphone in terms of noise reduction.  But that isn't changing the actual sensativity of the microphone.  It is changing how the software eliminates extraneous sound.

But we'll see what others with a lot more technical knowledge may say.

Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 1:42 PM

Now, you said:
I've never heard of adjusting the characteristics of a microphone such as sensativity.
Well if we're talking about setting up on the microphone itself, neither did I. But if we're talking about setting it on Windows, for example, then there is a sensitivity slider as well as a volume one, on the very same place :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Abbie Taylor

The BrailleNote Touch Plus has a built-in microphone. As far as I know, there's no way to adjust it in the settings. But if you're using an appp like Sound Recorder Pro, which is what I use, you can adjust the recording level in the app's settings.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Debbie April Yuille

It’s the touch’s internal microphone.

Debbie

Is it built in or an external microphone?

On 7/30/2019 2:58 PM, Debbie April Yuille wrote:

Hi all

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the sensitivity of the BN Touch Plus Microphone. I find when doing a recording, most sounds are quite distorted.

Thanks

Debbie

Debbie April Yuille

Hi Gene

It’s the Internal microphone.

Debbie

Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 11:26 AM

Is it built in or an external microphone?

On 7/30/2019 2:58 PM, Debbie April Yuille wrote:

Hi all

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the sensitivity of the BN Touch Plus Microphone. I find when doing a recording, most sounds are quite distorted.

Thanks

Debbie

Debbie April Yuille

Yes, that’s exactly right. SO, I’d like to reduce the Touch’s gain thereby reducing the sensitivity of the mike.

Debbie

Sensativity is how well a microphone picks up soft or more distant sounds. If anyone knows how to adjust the actual recording volume, that may well solve the problem.

I agree in part with you.
Sensitivity can be responsible for such distortions as well, specially if it is too high and the person is recording from a close point to the microphone.
I'd say then that it's important to reach a balance between volume and sensitivity.
Sensitivity can distort a record as much as the volume if one of them isn't set up correctly.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Debbie April Yuille

Ah cool. How accessible is Sound recorder pro?

Debbie

The BrailleNote Touch Plus has a built-in microphone. As far as I know, there's no way to adjust it in the settings. But if you're using an appp like Sound Recorder Pro, which is what I use, you can adjust the recording level in the app's settings.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,

Very accessible. I may need to reopen the app to see if it has microphone level aka sensitivity setting somewhere.

Cheers,

Joseph

Ah cool. How accessible is Sound recorder pro?

Debbie

The BrailleNote Touch Plus has a built-in microphone. As far as I know, there's no way to adjust it in the settings. But if you're using an appp like Sound Recorder Pro, which is what I use, you can adjust the recording level in the app's settings.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Debbie April Yuille

Hi Joseph

Could you please send me a play store link as I can’t find it in the play store now.

Thanks

Debbie

[...]

is there a switch that will lower the Mic's gain on your device?  or a volume knob that will reduce the volume of the mic?  The ability to turn the mic's volume  helps quite a bit.

On 7/31/2019 11:54 AM, Debbie April Yuille wrote:

Yes, that’s exactly right. SO, I’d like to reduce the Touch’s gain thereby reducing the sensitivity of the mike.

Debbie

Sensativity is how well a microphone picks up soft or more distant sounds. If anyone knows how to adjust the actual recording volume, that may well solve the problem.

I agree in part with you.
Sensitivity can be responsible for such distortions as well, specially if it is too high and the person is recording from a close point to the microphone.
I'd say then that it's important to reach a balance between volume and sensitivity.
Sensitivity can distort a record as much as the volume if one of them isn't set up correctly.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.