New Radio Released

Danny Park

For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions.  I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.

Danny

Charles Adkins

Will be very interested in your review and will probably buy one just to support the effort. Hope its a good DXING radio, sounds like a good ballgame radio to have outside at home of course. Looking forward to your thoughts.

On Aug 6, 2019, at 12:19 PM, Danny Park <dpark13918@...> wrote:

For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions.  I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.

Danny

Majid Hussain

hi there, will have my ears open and wateing for your review!

--
kind regards,
Majid Hussain

Gerald Levy

Unless this new radio announces the station frequency it is tuned to, I see little benefit in the voice guidance system.?? I already own a Sangean PR-D5, which is pretty easy to use without voice prompts.?? It sounds like the PR-D17 has the same digital tuning system with rotary tuning knob and five preset buttons for each band, like the PR-D5.?? But it has only a single 2.5 inch speaker, while the PR-D5 has twin 3 inch stereo speakers.?? I imagine that the reception on the PR-D17 would be comparable to that of the PR-D5, which is pretty good on both AM and FM.?? So I'll be very interested in a review of the newer model to find out whether the voice guidance system is really a useful feature.

Gerald

On 8/6/2019 12:58 PM, Charles Adkins wrote:
Will be very interested in your review and will probably buy one just to support the effort. Hope its a good DXING radio, sounds like a good ballgame radio to have outside at home of course. Looking forward to your thoughts.??

On Aug 6, 2019, at 12:19 PM, Danny Park <dpark13918@...> wrote:

For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions.?? I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.
??
Danny

Gerald Levy

Correction.?? The Sangean PR-D17 does have twin stereo speakers like the PR-D5, and after reviewing its features, it sounds almost identical to the PR-D5, except for the voice guidance feature.?? But at a current price of $120, it is almost twice as expensive as the PR-D5, which is widely available for about $65.

Gerald

On 8/6/2019 1:10 PM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

The D17 is supposed to be based on the D15.

Danny

[...]

Kevin Knight

Can you send a link for this radio?

On 08/06/19 12:19 PM, Danny Park wrote:
For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions.  I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.

Danny
--

Sincerely ,
Kevin

Charles Adkins

I did read a disscription of the radio at the universal radio site. Might wait until they have it in so I can actually hands-on examine it.

On Aug 6, 2019, at 2:08 PM, Kevin Knight <kevinknight1001@...> wrote:

Can you send a link for this radio?

On 08/06/19 12:19 PM, Danny Park wrote:
For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions.  I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.

Danny
--

Sincerely ,
Kevin
Skype Name: virtualknight

Samuel Wilkins

Will it support digital radio?

On 06/08/2019 17:19, Danny Park wrote:
For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions.  I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.

Danny
--
Regards,

Samuel Wilkins

Gerald Levy

No, the PR-D17 has only standard AM and FM bands.?? It does not support HD radio, which, for all intents and purposes is dead.

Gerald

On 8/7/2019 3:57 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:

Will it support digital radio???

On 06/08/2019 17:19, Danny Park wrote:
For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions.?? I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.
??
Danny
--
Regards,

Samuel Wilkins

Steve Matzura

HD is dead? You should come to New York City. Every spot on the dial save one has at least two HD channels, not including the digital copy of the main channel.

On 8/7/2019 6:40 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

No, the PR-D17 has only standard AM and FM bands.?? It does not support HD radio, which, for all intents and purposes is dead.

Gerald

On 8/7/2019 3:57 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:

Will it support digital radio???

Gene

I wouldn't call it dead, because There are a lot of HD signals on FM.  I don't know about in smaller towns or rura areas, but large cities appear to have a good deal, if Chicago and New York are any indication.  But unless you specifically want to hear the additional subchannels to the main stations, and with the Internet, who needs the extra channels, HD serves no meaningful purpose.  A.M. HD, it is my impression, is pretty much dead.  Again, if Chicago is any indication and articles I read a few years ago, there is very little.

But regarding supposed advantages of FM HD, aside from the extra channels, what about sound quality?  My opinion is that There isn't enough difference to go to the trouble to get an HD receiver.  The only other possible advantage I can see is that if you have problems receiving stations because of multipath, the digital signal may get rid of that problem.  But in my experience, just changing the antenna position for certain stations usually gets rid of that.

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 9:11 AM

HD is dead? You should come to New York City. Every spot on the dial
save one has at least two HD channels, not including the digital copy of
the main channel.

On 8/7/2019 6:40 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

> No, the PR-D17 has only standard AM and FM bands.?? It does not
> support HD radio, which, for all intents and purposes is dead.
>

> Gerald
>

> On 8/7/2019 3:57 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:
>>
>> Will it support digital radio???

Gerald Levy

Well, there may be alot of HD signals, but there are certainly not a lot of HD radios on the market.?? I just checked Amazon, and except for a few models made by Sangean and Sparc, none of which appears to have voice guidance or any other blind friendly features, almost nobody else seems to be making them, anymore.?? HD radio was never strongly embraced by the major electronics manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic in the first place, and so while it is technically still alive, it is clinging to life support. Obviously, Sangean does not believe there is much of a future for HD radio, or else they would have included it in the new PR-D17, which for all intents and purposes is an enhanced version of their popular and well-reviewed PR-D5,which has a basic, digital AM and FM tuner with no HD capability.

Gerald

??

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 9:11 AM

HD is dead? You should come to New York City. Every spot on the dial
save one has at least two HD channels, not including the digital copy of
the main channel.

On 8/7/2019 6:40 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

> No, the PR-D17 has only standard AM and FM bands.?? It does not
> support HD radio, which, for all intents and purposes is dead.
>

> Gerald
>

> On 8/7/2019 3:57 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:
>>
>> Will it support digital radio???

Steve Matzura

Funny you should mention Sony. I have a clock radio of theirs that, while not having any voice guidance, is quite usable. I can't use any of its time functions of course, but as an HD radio, I can tune it and program all its presets. Its only drawback is its total lack of a built-in AM antenna. I got a powered external one from CCrane that works excellently, even in the RFI-laden town of New York.

On 8/7/2019 11:22 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Hey, just the fact that most are only listening to HD in their cars tells you its dead. Have been employed and am still employed in broadcasting, and I can tell you most broadcasters are living in their own fanticy world when it comes to the reality about the state of the industry. AM HD is dead and AM is slowly following.

On Aug 7, 2019, at 11:53 AM, Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:

[...]

I doubt HD radio will be around in the long run.  But for those who want one, it should be pointed out that you don’t need any additional accessibility features to work an HD radio than to work an analog radio.  In other words, there is nothing about HD reception that requires any extra accessibility.

You might want features that aren’t present such as voice guidance and frequency identification but if a radio can be worked in that the buttons or imitation dial tuner can be used, it can be used whether it is an analog or a digital radio.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 9:11 AM

HD is dead? You should come to New York City. Every spot on the dial
save one has at least two HD channels, not including the digital copy of
the main channel.

On 8/7/2019 6:40 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

> No, the PR-D17 has only standard AM and FM bands.?? It does not
> support HD radio, which, for all intents and purposes is dead.
>

> Gerald
>

> On 8/7/2019 3:57 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:
>>
>> Will it support digital radio???

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hi Danny, is this an AM/FM radio or is it a satellite radio?

On Aug 6, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Danny Park <dpark13918@gmail.com> wrote:

For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions. I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.

Danny

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Welding this answers my question thank you Gerald.

On Aug 7, 2019, at 5:40 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

No, the PR-D17 has only standard AM and FM bands.?? It does not support HD radio, which, for all intents and purposes is dead.

Gerald

On 8/7/2019 3:57 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:
Will it support digital radio???

On 06/08/2019 17:19, Danny Park wrote:
For those who have not heard, Sangeain has released a new radio, thePR-D17, which has tactal buttons and voice feedback controls for the functions.?? I do not know much about it right now but I have one on order and will say more when I have it and have tried it out.
??
Danny
--
Regards,

Samuel Wilkins

Rich DeSteno

In looking at this current Sangean line of radios, such as the PR-D5, D7, D15 and so on, there is an obvious trend twoard requiring many more battteries and providing many fewer memories than I have seen from many years of purchasing such radios in the past.  The PR-D7, for example, requires a whopping six double-A batteries, which I have never seen before in the past with radios of a similar size and function.  I would be interested to learn why such a radio requires so much battery power and how long the radio would run on a set of batteries.  It is simply an AM-FM radio of modest size with only ten memories.

Rich DeSteno

On 8/7/2019 4:15 PM, joseph hudson wrote:
[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Since when have there been more added? I got a radio a couple of years ago, and there were only a few HD stations. I'm talking about 2017 or so. Pam.

HD is dead? You should come to New York City. Every spot on the dial
save one has at least two HD channels, not including the digital copy of
the main channel.

On 8/7/2019 6:40 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

No, the PR-D17 has only standard AM and FM bands.?? It does not support HD radio, which, for all intents and purposes is dead.

Gerald

On 8/7/2019 3:57 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:

Will it support digital radio???

---
https://www.avg.com