Jaws 16

Nancy Hill

Please refresh my memory.

Where do I go to permanently increase the reading speed of Jaws?

Many, many Thanks!

Nancy

Smiling?

You can temporarily adjust the reading speed of your SAPI using JAWS by using either keystroke below.
Control+Alt+PageUp to increase the speed, and,
Control+Alt+PageDown to decrease the speed.

Another thing that the user can do to temporarily adjust their reading speed, is in say a long email or document, and after doing the read all command (insert+DownArrow), use the keys PageUp and PageDown to increase or decrease the speeds which will happen in realtime as so will the others.

I know that you were asking which way to permanently adjust your SAPI for JAWS, just for whatever reasons started it off with the ways to temporarily adjust one's reading speed. The way to permanently adjust this is use the keystroke anywhere and it will adjust it at 5% differences.
Control+Windows+Alt+PageUp to increase and,
Control+Windows+Alt+PageDown to decrease permanently.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 8:33 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Jaws 16

Many, many Thanks!

Nancy

Smiling?

Just sending this again because for whatever reasons some words were moved without my being aware.

You can temporarily adjust the reading speed of your SAPI using JAWS by using either keystroke below.
Control+Alt+PageUp to increase the speed, and,

Control+Alt+PageDown to decrease the speed.

Another thing that the user can do to temporarily adjust their reading speed, is in say a long email or document, and after doing the read all command (insert+DownArrow), use the keys PageUp and PageDown to increase or decrease the speeds which will happen in realtime as so will the others.

I know that you were asking which way to permanently adjust your SAPI for JAWS, just for whatever reasons started it off with the ways to temporarily adjust one's reading speed. The way to permanently adjust this is use the keystroke anywhere and it will adjust it at 5% differences.
Control+Windows+Alt+PageUp to increase and,

Control+Windows+Alt+PageDown to decrease permanently.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 8:33 PM

Many, many Thanks!

Nancy

Mike B.

Hi Nancy,

Control, alt, + page up or down for temporary changes.

Control, alt, windows key, + page up or down for permanent changes.

To change voice rate temporarily while JAWS is in "say all," adjust speed with pageup or pagedown alone.
To change the speech rate plus other voice options through the Jaws context menu try the following:

1. Press, Insert + J, to open the Jaws context menu, then press the letter, O, to open submenu options, or arrow down to, Options, and press enter.

2. Press the letter, V, to open the Voices submenu, or down arrow to, submenu Voices, and press enter.

3. Press enter on, Voice adjustment...

4. Tab 4 or 5 times to, Voice adjust combobox, All Contexts, 1 of 5.  In this 1st dialogue you can adjust the voice rate, punctuation, spell rate, and upper case pitch change for all voices / cursors at once. 

5. Now down arrow to find the PC cursor, Jaws cursor, Keyboard and Tutor message voices.  Tab down through  each of these individual cursors to adjust the voice person, voice rate, voice punctuation and voice pitch for these various cursors individually.

6. If you make any changes in any of the above dialogues make sure you apply and save the changes.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 8:33 PM

Many, many Thanks!

Nancy

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Nancy & List:
If you want to make the change to the speaking rate of JAWS always, press jawskey plus "j" release, press "h" for the Jaws Help Menu and release, then "z" for the startup Wizard.

To make the change just for a program, run the program and I guess go to the Jaws Settings Center.

Make your changes.
Sade your changes.

This way, you may have Jaws speak faster when reading text documents, or slower, when reading spreadsheets.
Brian K. Lingard

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf of Nancy Hill
Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:33 PM

Many, many Thanks!

Nancy