Thoughts on Orbit 20

Joe Orozco

Hi,

I got a chance to briefly look at the Orbit 20 at the NFB convention
last month. The product looked solid enough, but not having gotten the
opportunity to really put it through its paces, I still have a few
questions, even with the potential for a slight discount off the
regular price for convention attendees. Any help would be appreciated.

1. How well does the Bluetooth connectivity work between the Orbit and
iOS? I've only had experience using my iPhone with a U2 and found the
experience pleasant enough. Can I count on the Orbit giving a similar
stability? Are the commands generally the same?

2. I'm something of an ignorant snob and have pause about there being
no cursor routing keys. How easy have you found it to navigate to
specific points in a document for editing?

3. What do you not like about the Orbit?

4. In your opinion, is the product solid enough to buy now, or should
I hold out for a second generation?

Thanks guys for helping me make an informed purchase.

Best,

Joe

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

I think the Orbit is solid, bluetooth works well, but the lack of routing keys is annoying to be sure. You can adjust, but I'm not sure that I really have adjusted. There's something about being able to immediately jump to a point on the line with a routing key that just can't be compared. I think it's pretty good though.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Joe Orozco

Thank you for that perspective!

If I may add another question, how great is the Orbit at productivity?
I understand it is not a full notetaker, but part of the reason I'm
interested is to do some writing while on my commute. I don't mind
that it will only produce plain text. I like the portability of it,
but I do want to make sure that it is easy enough to transfer text
files between the Orbit and a PC for more advanced word processing.

Thanks again!

Joe

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 12:24 PM Joe Orozco <jsoro824@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970)
(393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Donald L. Roberts

I must disagree with your contention that the lack of routing keys is a problem. If this were a 32 or 40 cell display, it would be an issue. However, since the Orbit has only 20 cells, moving the cursor to the desired location is easy although admittedly not quite as fast as it would be if one had cursor routing keys.

Don Roberts

On 8/8/2019 12:34 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
[...]

Josh Kennedy

the answers to your questions are under the questions themselves below.

1. How well does the Bluetooth connectivity work between the Orbit and
iOS? I've only had experience using my iPhone with a U2 and found the
experience pleasant enough. Can I count on the Orbit giving a similar
stability? Are the commands generally the same?
yes, yes, and yes. Orbit20 connects excellent to iPhone, commands are the same. You will have a great experience with it.

2. I'm something of an ignorant snob and have pause about there being
no cursor routing keys. How easy have you found it to navigate to
specific points in a document for editing?
It is very easy to get around without cursor router keys. There are commands to quickly move between words, lines, paragraphs and so on. If you want a display with cursor router keys, get the braille me from www.atguys.com

3. What do you not like about the Orbit?
I like everything about my two orbit readers that I own.

4. In your opinion, is the product solid enough to buy now, or should
I hold out for a second generation?
The product is certainly solid enough to buy now. I own two of them and they work great. I read with them in church and I have the orbit sitting a foot or so away from the microphone when I read out loud for the congregation.

Josh Kennedy

using the orbit's note taker feature is like writing with a perkins brailler. you can write whatever braille code you want because the orbit has no braille translator. to get files onto the orbit, or to back-translate files, use these two free braille translators.

www.brailleblaster.org

http://tech.aph.org/lt

Joe Orozco

Question about file translation. I don't understand. Are you saying
that in order for me to read files on the Orbit, I would first have to
send them through translation software? Does the Orbit support any
kind of file format? When you initiate a file in the Orbit, what
format will it save these to on the SD card? Thanks guys. I really
appreciate your help in making an informed purchase.

Joe

On 8/9/19, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
using the orbit's note taker feature is like writing with a perkins
brailler. you can write whatever braille code you want because the orbit has
no braille translator. to get files onto the orbit, or to back-translate
files, use these two free braille translators.

www.brailleblaster.org ( http://www.brailleblaster.org )

http://tech.aph.org/lt

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

Joe, the Orbit 20 doesn't have any onboard translation software. What you put in is what you get. The Orbit can read text and braille files. I don't think it can read Word files. You have to put a Word file through Send-to-braille or Braille Blaster to convert it.

Part of the reason it is good for kids or for people learning braille is that you can type in what used to be called grade 1-1/2 and it will display it, just as you've typed it. This allows a user to write using the contractions he or she has learned and not worry about having the rest of your written material translated.

Bottom line, you have to translate files into text or into braille before displaying them on the Orbit.

Ann P.

[...]

Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email