A query regarding Thunderbird

Akshaya Choudhary

Hello helpful people of this group, 
I would like to switch from windows mail to thunderbird as my email client. My only concern is that I have read, Thunderbird downloads all the messages and stores them on the local drive. I have subscribed to various newsletters and other resources which sometimes mail me heavy media files. Would it it consume too much local memory if I start using Thunderbird? Is there a possibility that my mails remain web based and do not consume local storage? 

I'm new to Thunderbird and thus doesn't know much. Any help if welcome. 
Regards 

Gene

Storing messages on a hard drive doesn't take any memory.  Memory is in your computer.  Its hardware that stores information so your computer can get it quickly.  Disk storage is what is used when you store files on your hard drive.  the amount of disk space used for storing e-mail is tiny.  Even if someone sent you an e-mail as long as a long novel, it wouldn't take much disk space.

Messages are stored on your hard drive or not depending on the kind of account you set up.  If you set up a POP3 account, messages are stored on your hard drive.  If you set up an IMAP account, they are stored on the server.  What kind of account are you using now? 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2019 11:19 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] A query regarding Thunderbird

Hello helpful people of this group, 
I would like to switch from windows mail to thunderbird as my email client. My only concern is that I have read, Thunderbird downloads all the messages and stores them on the local drive. I have subscribed to various newsletters and other resources which sometimes mail me heavy media files. Would it it consume too much local memory if I start using Thunderbird? Is there a possibility that my mails remain web based and do not consume local storage? 

I'm new to Thunderbird and thus doesn't know much. Any help if welcome. 
Regards 

Akshaya Choudhary

Hello Gene, 
I'm not aware of these two kinds of accounts. How can I find out which one I'm using? 

Regards 

Gene

What e-mail program are you using?  Those who have used both may be able to tell you another way, but you can see what kind of account is shown in your e-mail program.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2019 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] A query regarding Thunderbird

Hello Gene, 
I'm not aware of these two kinds of accounts. How can I find out which one I'm using? 

Regards