Topics

Request: Recommendations For Good High Capacity Router

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I think my current D-link router is n the way out.  I now have 8 total devices: 3 wired and 5 wireless devices which need access to it.

Can anyone recommend a high capacity and accessible router that will have more durability than the standard 50 dollar wonder available at local computer stores or on Amazon?

Keep in mind that I will have to do the set up myself, so accessibility of whatever interface--usually browser based--is an essential requirement.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

DJ

I have the Netgear Orbi wifi system for my household which currently is running 23 wireless and 5 wired devices. Multiple simultaneous video streams and plenty of online gameplay occurs without a hiccup. WiFi is strong and and solid  and yes the system is very accessible. Netgear developers even worked with me to make a part of the Orbi app accessible. Now it is possible to manage individual devices on the network using VoiceOver. The system is costly but well worth it in my opinion. I will never go back to a standard router.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 8:01 AM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
Hi Group,

I think my current D-link router is n the way out.  I now have 8 total
devices: 3 wired and 5 wireless devices which need access to it.

Can anyone recommend a high capacity and accessible router that will
have more durability than the standard 50 dollar wonder available at
local computer stores or on Amazon?

Keep in mind that I will have to do the set up myself, so accessibility
of whatever interface--usually browser based--is an essential requirement.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

David L Minton, Jr

Good morning, would you be able to give the model number of your router? Because we are having issues with our spectrum router. And are looking to purchase one of our own.

On Aug 24, 2019, at 9:12 AM, DJ <grouloc@...> wrote:

[...]

We have the RBR-50 with multiple satellites model RBS-50. The entire system operates as one single wifi network so you do not have to worry about multiple network names and passwords.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 10:36 AM David L Minton, Jr <djdavesdeli@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi DJ,

From your message, I take it that you can set up this router system using an accessible  iPhone app?

On 8/24/2019 9:12 AM, DJ wrote:
[...]

I did a search on the Netgear ORBI series and I see a bunch of them.  I have a relatively small house, so explain this satellite issue to me.  I take it that it has something to do with the WI-FI coverage.  Where would you position the various parts and how do you configure them to work together?

I see that the price rises for each model with the addition of every satellite--an obvious fact.

On 8/24/2019 10:50 AM, DJ wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the multiple posts, but here's another question. I see that Netgear has routers with both 2 and 3 bands.  The model you referenced has 2 bands.  something called the AC2200 has 3 bands.  What is the advantage of the 3 over the 2 if any?  Will older devices work with the 3 band versions?  The 3 band versions seem to be somewhat more expensive.

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

On 8/24/2019 10:50 AM, DJ wrote:
[...]

Mike B

Hi David,

Have you contacted Spectrum?  About 3 weeks ago I was using a Spectrum modem with a NetGear router and the router went bad, both were Spectrum equipment.  Well, they came out and replaced both the modem and router with updated new equipment and my internet has never worked this well.

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Request: Recommendations For Good High Capacity Router

[...]

Yes, they came out this past week and replace the router and the modem. But they also said that the equipment they provide is not the top-notch equipment. They gave us some suggestions of routers to purchase. The routers they suggested are running about $260.

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:35 AM

[...]

Cristóbal

Once you go mesh, you’ll never go back.

We’ve got an Ero mesh set up and it covers 3400 SQFT quite well.

If you’ve got or want a lot of connected devices, mesh is probably a better bet than a tri band router.

Cristóbal

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:35 AM

[...]

Yes.  I have been able to set this up wirelessly with the Orbi app as well as with the computer plugged right in.

On 8/24/2019 12:25 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi DJ,

From your message, I take it that you can set up this router system using an accessible  iPhone app?

On 8/24/2019 9:12 AM, DJ wrote:
[...]

The satellites are additional units which you can place in other locations as you already know.  You could set up the main router at one end, side, or corner of the home, and then place a satellite at the opposite end, side, or corner.  They communicate with each other through a wireless backhall channel and there is no loss of speed or performance.  You can set up the main router (RBR-50) and then press the sync bunnon on the router and satellite to connect both units.

On 8/24/2019 10:50 AM, DJ wrote:
[...]

BTW, I think the Nighthawk would make an excellent stand-alone router for a small home.

On 8/24/2019 10:50 AM, DJ wrote:
[...]

The Orbi system is a three-band system.  It has a 5 gigahertz band and a 2.4 gigahertz band for your devices to connect to.  It then uses a separate band to communicate exclusively with multiple Orbi systems you have set up.  There is absolutely no loss of network performance or speed with any of these devices.  When I used a conventional router from the store shelf my wifi speeds were 1/3 of the speed I was paying for and seeing when plugged directly into the router.  With the Orbi system, no matter which device I'm connected to at a given time, my internet speed is always exactly what wired computer says it is using speedtest.net.  I will never go back I assure you.

On 8/24/2019 10:50 AM, DJ wrote:
[...]

I refuse to pay my internet service provider rent for equipment.  I own my modem and router system and plan to keep it that way.  Service has never been so steady.  When I rented their equipment it always dropped and slowed.  There were always problems.  Not any more.

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:35 AM

[...]

I beg to differ.  I have the Orbi RBR-50 with two satellites and am currently only using one of the satellites.  These tow devices together are covering 4500 square feet with no degradation in performance.  I could spread them apart further but there is no need to do so.  The tri-band Orbi system is thought of as a mesh system except that it uses a private, third band for the devices to communicate on.

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:35 AM

[...]

Brian Zolo <bzolo@...>

Good afternoon, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio.  Feel free to call me BZ, grin!  What modem did you go with?  We’re with wide open west and using their eero whole house wireless router and we’re having all sorts of problems with Bluetooth interference as my wife Kathy has two cochlear implants and needs good Bluetooth signals as she uses her i-phone to stream via Bluetooth with her coclhlear implants and her i-phone locks up.  The eero router transmits on both 2.4 and 5GHZ but you can’t turn off the 2.4GHZ transmissions.  So we’lre looking for a router that will work on 2.4 and 5GHZ so that we can have our i-phones connected on 5GHZ.  We’re in an 1800 square feet house so do we really need a wireless mesh system?  Just throwing this out for discussion. I’m seriously looking at either the asus RTAC66u or the RTAC68U as the RTAC68U has built in security from trend micro.  Our hp windows 7 laptops have intel wireless cards with Bluetooth but I have trouble on my hp laptop as I can discover Bluetooth headsets but can’t get any audio out of them.  If we get a new router, should we get usb wireless adapters for our laptops?  Appreciate any input regarding my questions.  Really enjoy the list1  BZ!

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:35 AM

[...]

I’ve owned my modem and router since at least 2012. The Eero mesh router I upgraded to last year and the modem I’m currently using is the : ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. I upgraded to this one from a Surfboard 6140 back in 2016 and sold the old modem via OfferUp for something like $40 offsetting some of the cost of the at the time newer modem.

I think Spectrum around here anyway charges around $7 a month to lease their modem so I’m well paid for on that front.

Cristóbal

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:35 AM

[...]

The modem is the NETGEAR Gateway CM500-100NAS.  It is not a router.  The router / wifi system is the Orbi RBR50 along with the Orbi satellites RBS50.  I'm only using one of the two satellites right now because it's more than I need.  For good solid wifi throughout the entire house I would recommend the RBR50 and one satellite.  That would provide positive signal and performance all the way around.

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:35 AM

[...]

Sure do appreciate your recommendation and I’ll definitely check it out.  Have a great week1  BZ!