From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: August 26, 2019 8:48 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] sending the full amount of money through pay pal

Hi all,

I know there's a way to send money through pay pal where the person on the other end gets the full amount because I've done it before but I can't seem to figure out how to do it now. Can somebody remind me?

Btw I have the pay pal app on my iPhone but I prefer to use the computer for pay pal transactions because I feel like there's less of a chance of me messing something up.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member. Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run: If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Holly

I think if you use the 'friends and family' option, there is nothing taken out of the amount transferred, but you don't have any protection if you are making a purchase from an unknown party.

Evan Reese

Hmmm, I guess I need to check whether I'm sending money via goods and services or friends and family.
I live in the U.S. I've bought a few hundred music downloads from record labels on Bandcamp. A lot of these labels price their stuff in Euros, and sometimes in other foreign currencies, and I've never been charged a fee for currency conversion. I think it's the recipient that gets charged because I sure never have been.
Evan

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member. Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run: If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Troy Burnham

Once I log into pay pal how do I select friends and family? I logged in before asking my question and I didn't see anything on the main pay pal page for sending to friends and family.

Troy

On 8/26/2019 8:52 PM, Holly wrote:
I think if you use the 'friends and family' option, there is nothing taken out of the amount transferred, but you don't have any protection if you are making a purchase from an unknown party.

Holly

After you log in, you need to click on 'send money' or something like that. As you progress through the process, at some time you will see the option for 'friends and family'

Troy Burnham

Thanks I figured it out.

Troy

On 8/26/2019 9:35 PM, Holly wrote:
After you log in, you need to click on 'send money' or something like that. As you progress through the process, at some time you will see the option for 'friends and family'

enes sarıbaş

you do actually get charged. You will see the charge on your e-mail receipt.

-----Original Message----- From: Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member.  Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run:  If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Evan Reese

No, I have never been charged. I pay exactly the quoted price, or the price I decide to pay, in the case of one of those Name Your Price items. I have bought a few hundred items on Bandcamp over several years now, many of them priced in Euros. I have never been charged for currency conversion, or had to pay any fee on top of the price I pay for the item.
I would know if I had been charged. I read those email receipts from PayPal, and I save all of them. I also check my bank account regularly to keep track of what has gone out and what has come in. There has never been a transaction charge, and there has never been a currency conversion charge in the case when I pay in Euros or some other foreign currency. Foreign currency in this case means Non-U.S. currency.
Evan

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member. Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run: If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

enes sarıbaş

Hi,

See this from my nvaccess purchase for example.

From amount
£34.56 GBP
To amount
$60.00 AUD
Exchange rate: 1 GBP = 1.73598 AUD

Invoice ID:

Issues with this transaction?
You have 180 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.
Currency conversion: To complete this transaction, we converted the payment amount to the currency of your card based on our agreement with you. PayPal's currency conversion fee is added to the exchange rate, set by an external financial institution. For more information about fees, see our user agreement.

-----Original Message----- From: enes sarıbaş

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member.  Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run:  If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Evan Reese

My email receipts from PayPal don't say anything like this.
The closest they come is to say that PayPal makes money on converting currencies, but nothing about a fee on my particular transaction, as is the case in your receipt.
Read the following receipt from August 13 of this year:
*
Description
Unit price
Qty
Amount
V.A. - Mind Over Matter, digital album by D Noir Records
€9.00 EUR
1
€9.00 EUR
Subtotal
€9.00 EUR
Total
€9.00 EUR
Payment
€9.00 EUR
Payment sent to support@bandcamp.com
Payment sent from mentat1@dslextreme.com
Funding Sources Used (Total)
JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, NA x-3270
$10.45 USD
Exchange rate: $ 1
USD = € 0.8613 EUR
Converted From:
$10.45 USD
Converted To:
€9.00 EUR
PayPal makes money on converting currencies.
Invoice ID: payment_id=713725100&sig=030af9f0f7263351a8a28f36159d1c63
Issues with this transaction?
You have 180 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution
Center.
Questions? Go to the Help Center at www.paypal.com/help.
Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not
receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click
Help in the top right corner of any PayPal page or please contact us toll free at
1-888-221-1161.
You can receive plain text emails instead of HTML emails. To change your Notifications
preferences, log in to your account, go to your Profile, and click
My settings
.
Copyright © 1999-2019 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211
N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.
PayPal PPX001066:1.1:afdeeeb768f0d
*
So nothing in there about a fee. I wonder if it is because you are in a different country?
Evan

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member. Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run: If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

enes sarıbaş

They just charge the fee and add it. I bet the conversion rate is much  better. a dollar is alot more than  than  68 euro cents.

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member. Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run:  If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

enes sarıbaş

I just checked, and one dollar is 0.91 euro. This is why it is probably better to use a curency exchange service, as the exchange rates from banks etc, are terrible.

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member. Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run:  If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Evan Reese

Hmmm, what you say may very well be true, but it raises another question. If that were the case, why would they tell you that they're charging you a fee, as per your agreement, but not tell me that they're charging a fee as per my agreement?
They can always charge the business the fee, and not the consumer. Since they aren't telling me that they're charging me a fee, I'll bet that's what they're actually doing. Rules may be different for different countries.
And currency rates can change quite a bit from day to day.
Evan

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Troy, if you're NOT PAYING for GOODS AND SERVICES on Paypal, you're
essentially sending me money as a friend or family member. Make that choice
on Paypal and NO RED CENT shall be deducted from whatever you send to the
recipient.

One caveat before I run: If you're sending money to someone outside the
United States, Paypal WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHARGE YOU a fee for converting
the money being sent into the currency in use in the recipient's country.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Evan Reese

I am doubtful that it's an appreciable difference for small transactions such as the kind I gave a receipt for below, hardly worth the trouble.
Besides, as I said, 0.91 Euro may be the currency rate now. Back on August 13, it could very well have been what my receipt says it was, 0.8613 Euro. It's not that much different from 0.91 Euro. It could have gone a lot higher and lower in the past few weeks just by daily currency exchange fluctuations.
Evan

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Mr. Evan Reese wrote in part:

"I've never been
charged a fee for currency conversion. I think it's the recipient that
gets charged because I sure never have been."
Sorry sir, international business transactions DO NOT WORK as you indicated.
The recipient of any funds transferred across borders IS NOT THE INITIATOR
of the transaction; therefore, all transaction charges, including foreign
currency exchange fees, will never be borne by the transferee. Ask any
bank--U.S. Bank, Wells Fargo, Chase, and CapitalOne. These entities MOVE A
HECK OF A LOT when it comes to international business transactions. Credit
unions don't do nearly as much at least here in the United States but not so
in Britain where they are commonly referred to as cooperatives!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Evan, in your post, the following statement appears:

"Paypal MAKES MONEY from CURRENCY CONVERSION." Not sure I know what else
you need to know that the COST OF FOREIGN EXCHANGE CONVERSION was added to
the transaction fee you paid Paypal. At least Paypal is reasonably
transparent within the law on that score. Just ask Paypal directly and
you'll be surprisingly shocked. Paypal won't EXCHANGE THE FUNDS for you if
it won't make a cent on the transaction. In some cases, those conversion
fees ARE NOT EVEN REFUNDABLE should you cancel your transaction. Even if
you send the funds as FRIENDS & FAMILY, a currency exchange fee will still
apply on such international transactions.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

If the dollar has a higher value compared to the currency you're exchanging
it for, then the transaction fee may be insignificant. However, you'll
definitely FILL THE PINCH if the dollar value is much lower as is sometimes
the case with the British Pound Sterling!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

enes sarıbaş

don't even get me started. Chase charged me $1.33 per pound, even though the exchange rate is like 23.