Uk to US voltage converter

Walter Ramage

Hi all.  I want to send a friend in the USA an 8tb external drive.  The problem is the power supply differs between the UK and the USA.

One can purchase travel converters but as I understand it these travel converters can only be used for short periods at a time, The last I heard it was 2 hours max.  And in addition they weren't to be used frequently.  That's what I recall anyway.

So, does anybody have any suggestions on what kind of converter I could send with the drive so she can use it immediately to move the contents from the 8tb drive I send to a drive she might purchase in the states.  The best option is a portable drive but there isn't a portable drive large enough, 5tb is the largest portable drive I can find and I don't have one of them to send and it isn't large enough anyway.  Suggestions are welcome.  Walter.

Hello Walter:

Let's check on a few things before I throw out any suggestions. First, do
you know if the external drive you're sending to your friend support dual
voltage--that is 110V/115V (or even 120V), as well as 220V/240V?

Second question: Does it have a button you can either push in to change
voltagecycles, or a slider that can be easily moved from one position to the
next to achieve the same purpose?

A third question: Assuming the answer to question2 is NO, is the drive
capable of switching automatically between the two voltages?

Ok, I'll go put the insomniac to bed, bring him back to say more in the
morning or afternoon after having read your response. Somehow, we'll get
this sorted out, all the best and have a fun-filled day!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Walter Ramage

Hi. None of the external drives I have are switchable regarding voltage.
However I got some sighted help and the AC addaptors all state they are 100
to 240 volts so based on that all she would need is an adaptor to change the
UK 3 prong plug to a US 2 pronged plug, I think. Walter.

Let's check on a few things before I throw out any suggestions. First, do
you know if the external drive you're sending to your friend support dual
voltage--that is 110V/115V (or even 120V), as well as 220V/240V?

Second question: Does it have a button you can either push in to change
voltagecycles, or a slider that can be easily moved from one position to the
next to achieve the same purpose?

A third question: Assuming the answer to question2 is NO, is the drive
capable of switching automatically between the two voltages?

Ok, I'll go put the insomniac to bed, bring him back to say more in the
morning or afternoon after having read your response. Somehow, we'll get
this sorted out, all the best and have a fun-filled day!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Norma A. Boge

Hi Walter, I am presuming that the person needs to have the actual drive, as
opposed to downloading from dropBox or some other cloud storage? I'm not
wanting to insult you, just making sure I understand your situation. Thanks,
Norma

Walter wrote:

"None of the external drives I have are switchable regarding voltage.
However I got some sighted help and the AC addaptors all state they are 100
to 240 volts so based on that all she would need is an adaptor to change the
UK 3 prong plug to a US 2 pronged plug, I think."

Thank you sir for taking the time to answer my questions. Indeed, the drive
in question is capable of switching to the correct voltage automatically
with zero intervention on your part and mine.

In that wise, all that your friend needs to do is to grab an adaptor from
Walmart, or just about any similarly situated store and plug the drive in
before plugging it to the wall socket.

BTW, in the United States, we do have, and our sockets support three-prong
plugs! All our sockets are standardised which takes guessing out of it.
The plugs can only be inserted into our sockets in one way. If the first
method of insertion does not work, just flip the plug over and you'll score
a heart trick! All the wall sockets I have felt in forever have THREE-PRONG
plugs in place.

What then is the difference? It's the shape of the plugs. Secondarily, our
wall sockets DO NOT COME with on/off switches. In this regard, it can be
argued that we do it the PLUG-&-PLAY style.

So, go ahead, send the drive over. And, if I qualify for a JOLLY RIDE, send
one this way too, <JUST LAUGH WITH ME, I'm crazy that way pal!> All the
very best.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Walter & List:

What is the voltage, polarity, and milliamps of the UK Power supply output?

Most adapters are center pin positive, that is, negative ground.

If the same make and model drive are sold in the USA, order your friend a replacement 120-volt AC power adapter. It can run for hours on end. Travel adapters are meant for use while traveling.

You could also buy your friend a 220/120-volt step down transformer, but then you have the differences in power point plugs to contend with.

Simplest is buy a US/Canadian 120 Volt power adapter. Has the required parallel prong or U-ground plug for our Power bars & Wall outlets for 120-volt loads.

Note that our low-current 220-volt plug is different from the UK. It is called Crow’s Foot, has three flat blades two angled towards each other and the third vertical under the angled flat prongs.

Our 220-volt high current plug is Twist Lock, uses a large connector that twists onto the outlet with about a 90-degree right-hand turn. The conductors are capable of carrying 60 amps at 220-volts 60 Hz indefinitely without overheating.

They are used on new electric ranges as well as portable heaters, clothes dryers, and industrial-size power tools for home use.

High-powered machine tools such as Lathes, milling machines, etc. are permanently wired to 550 three-phase circuits.

While US and Canada call it 220-volt power, it is only 208-volts if the building has three-phase power service, such as any building with an elevator.

For most purposes, a 220-volt motor will run OK on 2080-volt, however, a milling machine or drill press will use a 208-volt motor.

The lights in commercial buildings in Canada/USA run on 347-volt power, just to keep our electricians on their toes!

So, ass you see, House Current can differ from the current which spins the Wheels of Industry and lights the factory or Office Tower or even a two-story building with an elevator.

Brian K. Lingard

[...]

UK to parallel prong adapters are not common in the USA or Canada.

It will be best if you send, your American friend the required plug prong
adapter as they may go crazy trying to find one in the USA.
Brian K. Lingard

Hi. None of the external drives I have are switchable regarding voltage.
However, I got some sighted help and the AC adaptors all state they are 100
to 240 volts so based on that all she would need is an adaptor to change the
UK 3 prong plug to a US 2-pronged plug, I think. Walter.

Let's check on a few things before I throw out any suggestions. First, do
you know if the external drive you're sending to your friend support dual
voltage--that is 110 V/115 V (or even 120 V), as well as 220 V /240 V?

Second question: Does it have a button you can either push in to change
voltage cycles, or a slider that can be easily moved from one position to
the next to achieve the same purpose?

A third question: Assuming the answer to question is NO, is the drive
capable of switching automatically between the two voltages?

Ok, I'll go put the insomniac to bed, bring him back to say more in the
morning or afternoon after having read your response. Somehow, we'll get
this sorted out, all the best and have a fun-filled day!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

enes sarıbaş

Hi,

Are you sure the drive doesn't support 110-240 volts? Many appliances can use any voltage, like iphone chargers, where you only need one to change the plug prongs, with a cheap piece. If it doesn't, you can buy transformers, which can be used as long as you like.

On 8/27/2019 4:29 PM, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Actually we do have switches. Just not near the plug, but next to the light fixture switches.

On 8/28/2019 4:07 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Walter wrote:

[...]

Hi.  The Drive it's self didn't say but the AC adaptor said it is rated (the adaptor that is) from 100 to 240 volts,  I would assume the drive is the same.  Walter.

[...]

As the power comes through the adapter, it is. That means its fine, and you can send it with a little piece to change the plug prongs.