Making a short cut to a web page

Nancy Hill

I am using win10 and jaws 18 or 19.

Recently I linked to a web page which came up just fine.

I attempted to make a shortcut to the webpage but I could not.

Is there a new way you need to use in win10? I am curious because I don't seem to be able to use the method I used in win7.

Many Thanks in Advance for your help!

Nancy

Nancy,
In order to create a shortcut for a webpage (in Windows 10), do the following:
  1. Go to the folder where you want the shortcut to be
  2. Make sure that nothing is selected. Press CTRL+Spacebar until you hear "not selected" or something to that effect.
  3. Now, activate your Context Menu.
  4. With up/down arrow and Enter, choose "New".
  5. After you've chosen "New", choose "Shortcut".
  6. Now, on the window that opens, you will type in the address for the webpage that you want.
  7. On the next screen, it's time to give this shortcut a name. So, choose a name and OK it.
  8. That's it! You've just created your shortcut for the webpage :)
Hth,
Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Nancy Hill

Wow, Marcio, that sure sounds harder than doing it with Win7.

Please remind me what the context menu is.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I want the shortcut to show up on the Desktop.  Does that make a difference?

Thanks for what you have told me so far.

Nancy

On 8/30/2019 4:04 PM, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Nancy,
In order to create a shortcut for a webpage (in Windows 10), do the following:
  1. Go to the folder where you want the shortcut to be
  2. Make sure that nothing is selected. Press CTRL+Spacebar until you hear "not selected" or something to that effect.
  3. Now, activate your Context Menu.
  4. With up/down arrow and Enter, choose "New".
  5. After you've chosen "New", choose "Shortcut".
  6. Now, on the window that opens, you will type in the address for the webpage that you want.
  7. On the next screen, it's time to give this shortcut a name. So, choose a name and OK it.
  8. That's it! You've just created your shortcut for the webpage :)
Hth,
Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Nancy,

You open the context menu with the applications key or Shift + F10.  Or, at times with a right mouse click simulation keystroke,
Numpad star button, if you're using Jaws.

[...]

Yes, it does. But that's not a big deal :)
Just go to your desktop with Windows+M before creating the shortcut with the steps I gave you.

Hth,
Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

No, it makes no difference. Just go to your desktop, type ctrl-space till it says unselected, then press the context menu key usually on the right side of a standard keyboard next to the right control key. You can also use shift f10.

Arrow down the menu to shortcut and press 'enter'. You will be taken to the shortcut wizard. Type in or paste your URL in the space provided and press continue. You'll be asked for the name of your shortcut. Type it in. Then press the spacebar on the 'finish' button. Voila!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Folks,
Somehow, this "little tutorial" made the rounds so to speak and someone suggested changing a bit step 6. So here we go
I'll also make a few changes apart from this one for better understanding purposes.

Hope this helps :)

The edited tutorial is right below

In order to create a shortcut for a webpage (in Windows 10), do the following:
  1. Go to the folder where you want the shortcut to be.
    If you want it on your Desktop, instead of going to a folder, just press Windows+M and you'll be all set and we can march on to step 2.
  2. Make sure that nothing is selected. Press CTRL+Spacebar until you hear "not selected" or something to that effect.
  3. Now, activate your Context Menu[1]
  4. With up/down arrow and Enter, choose "New".
  5. After you've chosen "New", choose "Shortcut".
  6. Now, on the window that opens, you can either  type in the address for the webpage that you want or paste it..
    If you're working with a long URL, option 2 is more advisable. This is because following the paste route, the address will be there exactly as it should. If you just type it from memory or something like that, you may well forget one or two letters or type it somehow incorrectly and it won't work. So, how about preventing a few troubles? :)
  7. On the next screen, it's time to give this shortcut a name. So, choose a name and OK it.
  8. That's it! You've just created your shortcut for the webpage :)
[1] Your Context Menu is the same as the Applications key. Another way of activating it is by pressing Shift+F10

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

heather albright

I wanted to know is there a detorial to locate favorites that one makes with chrome and fire fox? Now I always make sure to make a favorite in these browsers and than create it with explorer so I can keep them in my favorites folder off windows10! I do not know of any other way to have an organized favorites folder! Cheers Heather

e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
An Accessible Online Library:
www.bookshare.org

[...]

Heather,
I do not know of any other way to have an organized favorites folder!
Does this link help? I hope so :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

heather albright

I read the link! So is this for all bookmarks? So I can do the same across all browsers and have all of them in the same folder? Thanks for any info! Heather