Fluctuating Recording Volume

Abbie Taylor

I use Sound Recorder Pro on my BrailleNote Touch plus running Android 8. I've noticed that the volume in my recordings fluctuates. Is there a setting I can tweak to keep this from happening?

Here's a Dropbox link to a recording I made earlier with this app. It's not bad, but you'll definitely notice the change in volume. With this recording, I used a headset with an in-line microphone, but I've noticed the same behavior with the device's external mic. This leads me to believe there must be a setting I can change. Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bpnr9w8t76pkkg/always.mp3?dl=0

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

I don't know what such a filter is called but it is lowering the volume when you are recording a quiet passage and raising it when you are recording a loud passage.  That is to keep out extraneous sound.  Evidently, that is the default setting and the default is ridiculous.  A loud passage w8ill cover up extraneous sound.  A soft passage will allow much more of it to be heard.

If you look through the app settings, does anything appear to match my description?

My laptop soundcard has such a setting and I turned it off.

Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 5:53 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Fluctuating Recording Volume

I use Sound Recorder Pro on my BrailleNote Touch plus running Android 8. I've noticed that the volume in my recordings fluctuates. Is there a setting I can tweak to keep this from happening?

Here's a Dropbox link to a recording I made earlier with this app. It's not bad, but you'll definitely notice the change in volume. With this recording, I used a headset with an in-line microphone, but I've noticed the same behavior with the device's external mic. This leads me to believe there must be a setting I can change. Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bpnr9w8t76pkkg/always.mp3?dl=0

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

I should also say that I was assuming this effect is on Sound Recorder Pro.  It could be in the Braille Note as well.  I don't know if it might process sound when you run an app or if it leaves that completely to the app.  Though I would think it would leave it completely to the app, I don't want to assume it.

Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 5:53 PM

I use Sound Recorder Pro on my BrailleNote Touch plus running Android 8. I've noticed that the volume in my recordings fluctuates. Is there a setting I can tweak to keep this from happening?

Here's a Dropbox link to a recording I made earlier with this app. It's not bad, but you'll definitely notice the change in volume. With this recording, I used a headset with an in-line microphone, but I've noticed the same behavior with the device's external mic. This leads me to believe there must be a setting I can change. Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bpnr9w8t76pkkg/always.mp3?dl=0

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Abbie Taylor

Gene, the only filter I find in the settings on Sound Recorder Pro on my BrailleNote Touch Plus is Bandpass Voice Filter. The switch is currently off. Do you think turning it on would solve the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's not the device because I've recorded on Sero, and it doesn't do that there. Besides, for the recording I sent, I used a headset with an in-line microphone.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

No, that isn't it.  The filter allows certain bands to pass and blocks others, according to what I looked up.

What happens if you use the same app and the built-in microphone in the Braille Note, assuming it has one?

Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2019 5:51 PM

Gene, the only filter I find in the settings on Sound Recorder Pro on my BrailleNote Touch Plus is Bandpass Voice Filter. The switch is currently off. Do you think turning it on would solve the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's not the device because I've recorded on Sero, and it doesn't do that there. Besides, for the recording I sent, I used a headset with an in-line microphone.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

Also, if the combination headset/microphone you are using is a USB device, It might have its own settings.  If they are accessible, you might find the problem in them.

Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2019 5:51 PM

Gene, the only filter I find in the settings on Sound Recorder Pro on my BrailleNote Touch Plus is Bandpass Voice Filter. The switch is currently off. Do you think turning it on would solve the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's not the device because I've recorded on Sero, and it doesn't do that there. Besides, for the recording I sent, I used a headset with an in-line microphone.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Abbie Taylor

It behaves the same way whether I use the headsetwith in-line microphone or the external mic. I've tried a Bluetooth headset, but the sound is tinny. There's no other filter, and the only other settings have to do with sampling rate, mono-stereo, and silence skipping options.

Abbie Taylor

The headset microphone plugs into a headset jack. In the Sound Recorder Pro settings, when selecting a mic, it comes up as unprocessed. That could be part  of the problem. USB headsets don't work with  this device.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

You said the sound is tinny.  But that isn’t the same as the severe volume attenuation you demonstrated in your sample.  Do you get the same attenuation or is the sound tinny?  The volume attenuation you demonstrated is to remove ambient noise and present only the sound, meant for use with speech.

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 1:27 PM

It behaves the same way whether I use the headsetwith in-line microphone or the external mic. I've tried a Bluetooth headset, but the sound is tinny. There's no other filter, and the only other settings have to do with sampling rate, mono-stereo, and silence skipping options.

Gene

Since it isn’t a USB device, there wouldn’t be any settings to adjust for it.  You might want to call support for the Braille Note and see if they can tell you anything.  I don’t know how you might get support for the app.  Do you just have a microphone, such as you would use for a tape recorder to test with?

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 1:37 PM

The headset microphone plugs into a headset jack. In the Sound Recorder Pro settings, when selecting a mic, it comes up as unprocessed. That could be part  of the problem. USB headsets don't work with  this device.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Abbie Taylor

I realized today that the problem with my headset with in-line microphone is that it only works with devices like my cell phone that only have one jack. My BrailleNote Touch Plus has two separate jacks for a headset and a microphone. I don't have a microphone.

I may try the Bluetooth headset again. What I meant to say about that is the sound quality isn't as sharp as that of the device's built-in mic, but it might be better than fluctuating volume. Thanks for all your help.