Topics

Spectrum Cable box with DVR and Narration?

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

Does any spectrum customer out there know the model number of the world box with narration that has the DVR feature? I am not sure which list to ask on. There used to be a thread or several on the Access Media Team group about spectrum but I noticed they are all locked so I thought I should not begin one over there in case they did not want that company discussed.

On Thursday I spent 45 minutes speaking with a number of spectrum customer service reps setting up an appointment for someone to come out and swap out a regular old Cable box for a new box with narration. They also turned on DVR on my account and assured me that the new World box with Narration had DVR functionality as well as the ability to hear audio described TV when available.

The first appointment was 8 yesterday morning. The tech never showed up. The second appointment was 2 yesterday afternoon. the tech showed up with a non-accessible box. The third appointment was today at 9 in the morning. The tech brought a model 110 and installed it which took about 90 minutes because he had no clue how to connect it, pair the remote to my 60 inch HDTV with a simple HDMI input which does not talk, etc.

After he left I spent over two hours trying to get the DVR and the audio description to work only to find out the 110 was the wrong box. I need a later model. So someone else is coming tomorrow around 11 in the morning.

So I was wondering if anyone knew the model number I should verify when the tech comes to make sure it has a DVR before he leaves.

In the last 48 hours I’ve literally spoken to 11 clueless, apathetic spectrum individual from low level customer service to alleged escalation techs and dispatchers. I’m convinced spectrum is Latin for something really nasty. Laughs!

Merv

Terry Olandese

Well, not sure of the number on the box, but they do have an accessibility department that you can talk to. They should know which box that you’ll need.

[...]

heather albright

Yes, I have this box. It does not work very well and it skips a hole lot making what your watching choppy when it keeps freezing. Also the guide is always down. But when it works, it is  some what accessible! Here is the model number:spectrum :201-h Here is the accessability line: (844) 762-1301. So if you have the remote because the idiots cant tell you because they are idiots! So I am going to assume you are blind like myself. So I will tactically describe the remote they should be giving you! There is no braille guide and the idiots will keep telling you to look for the green or the red button because you know blind people are able to see the green or red button!

So hold the remote in your hand, I am right handed. The top of the remote has a smooth surface that you point at the tv.  Now feel down towards your body and you will feel 3 buttons, two are the same size and one small button. The right button is wher you can turn on the tv after it is connected. I do not use the other buttons, no one ever gave me a guide! So below the this row on the left hand side is a rocker switch and the first on is the volume up and next is mute and next is volume down. To the very right is channel up, flash between 2 channels and channel down.  Now we come to a cross section with buttons around it.  At the bottom  there are two square buttons. The one on the left is the important button if you want to turn on the accessibility features. So hit the square button and on the number row hit 3 and that will turn on the accessable guide. Now if you want audio description hit the same square button and the number 2 and that will turn on DVS. If you want close captioning you hit the square and the number 1. It does not work for deaf blind with the braille displays. Now if you turn on DVS it will stay on till you turn it off.  The other square allows one to start recording on that channel. So go back to the cross and The top has two round buttons, do not know which idiot decided this layout but, the first round button takes you in to the guide with is self explanatory and you can make all the changes, with is not much, set your recordings see what is on tv for at least 2 weeks.  The other round button, gives you more info about the shows and and it will give you more info if you press it again. The top of the cross deals with the box it is a pause button and the left and right are rewind and fastforward the big circle in the middle is the okay  and the bottom is away to show the mini guide which I never use. The bottom circle is a skip back 10 seconds. The other is to exit out of the minues. The fat button between the squares is how you access the recordings instead of having to go threw the guide. The right  square starts recording! Oh I almost forgot sorry, there are 3 small buttons between the volume and channel,  the first allows you to directly search for networks and the one below gets you in to the guide and the one below is another pause button.  I want to point out this box is not fully accessible if you want to access say Netflix, it will not talk and the Netflix app will not talk if you are watching it threw the box. Sometimes it will not announce codes that pop on the screen too.  This remote also drains ones batteries so be prepared to have extras on hand. Also feel like you are going back to the 80s woe. It is super slow and the voice is lacking and you cant do things quickly sheesh. It will just make her confused and she ends talking over herself shesh. Lets just say, if you using the talking guide, it is real slow but, if you turn the guide off it is faster, not by much. They did the bare basic and I do not think they care it was made only because the FCC past a law and spectrum hired idiots to make the box and did not have a blind person test it before they semt this out. I would have given it a grade letter d  and sometimes f-. Oh if your blind, you cant have talking caller id on screen; you would have to switch the non accessible box. Oh if you wanted whole house support, you cant have the accessible boxes. Also if you want to use any other apps, they do not talk even if they talk on other platforms! Cheers Heather

e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
An Accessible Online Library:
www.bookshare.org

[...]

They don’t have a clue here in Florida. The fourth guy just came and has no idea what a talking cable box is. He is outside now talking to his dispatcher.

[...]

Thank you this information is exactly what I need. Smile! I am blind. I used to be a TV junkie and owned over a thousand DVD movies until I lost my sight. Now I never watch TV. But my wife still loves TV and keeps trying to get me back into it. She has been blind since birth. Me for many years now.

Merv

[...]

Don Risavy, Jr. <djrisavyjr@...>

Thanks too for this info as fixing to have mine installed today and will see if it’s that bad as my area just got them a month ago. So may be the bugs aren’t as bad as will come back and report on what thought after both my boxes are installed since have two tv’s in two separate rooms.

But, thanks for the info on the remote as going to save this in case get a tech that either don’t have a clue or doesn’t want to take the time to explain it which going to record everything when gets to the remote so have it for my reference plus save this post too.

[...]

Are there different boxes for accessibility?

I didn’t have to ask that when put my order in down here in Florida.

So which one is the correct one supposed to get?

We’ve been waiting for a long time to get these in our area in Florida as Spectrum said was waiting to make sure all the bugs got out of the boxes before issuing them. So hopefully receiving one that works well or like should which will give my report once have used mine.

[...]

Monday spectrum will make their fifth attempt at installing an accessible Cable box with DVR. It is possibly the 201 World box with Narration and DVR. The first tech didn’t show up. The second tech didn’t have a box. The third tech installed the 110 which is only a set top box and while has narration does not do DVR or push audio description. It is sad that my wife can sit here and hear the audio description on her iPad Pro 2018 on the spectrum app while the alleged accessible box is not pushing the audio description. The fourth tech came today and tried to find the 201 model box with both DVR and narration and allegedly the ability to do audio description. But I am not holding out hope.

I spoke to a supervisor on his phone and was told that neither spectrum techs nor subcontractors are allowed to install these special boxes as they are just not given out “willy nilly” and are kept in the warehouse for when they are “really needed.” When I informed the supervisor this box was really, really needed they said someone would come out Monday morning at nine and install one. This will be the fifth tech. he or she will be a “Security technician” as they are the only ones allowed to touch these very special boxes as the other techs are not even made aware of their existence. The spectrum tech I had today was rather disgruntled about the fact that these boxes exist and he was not aware that they are available for his customers who need them.

Since Thursday afternoon I have spoken to Fourteen employees of spectrum and have yet to get this simple issue resolved. You would think I was asking to have a Nuclear Reactor replaced in the back end of the Bat Mobile.

Merv

[...]

Well ought to be interesting then since am also in Florida smile.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Wow!  That’s downright ridiculous!  Why do they have to be so secure?  That whole thing sounds unnecessarily complicated.  Pam.

[...]

Charles Adkins

I kept asking for a braille schedule and talking box and after 4 unsuccessful attempts at the box, I made 4 more attempts at getting the braille schedule. My internet kept dropping and they told me my electronic stuff was putting small amounts of voltage on their lines interfering with my internet and phone and I basically needed to have an electrision re-wire my whole house. I gave up, fired them and put in WOW cable. Have had no internet outages, my download speed 7 times what it was with spectrum, so I will go on living without a talking cable box as I have done for 40 years or more.

On Sep 14, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Amaro

here in california it is the 110 or the 210 not the 201

[...]

It could be 210 here as well. I had a supervisor looking for a 202 for half an hour today before he decided he didn’t know what narrations was.

I told him I didn’t care as long as it was better than the 110 that was sitting here now that did not do DVR or push audio description.

Merv

[...]

They did tell me I have a limit on the amount of electronics I can have and many of my accessible devices no longer function under spectrum. For example my Quest barcode reader from Envision America stopped functioning once Brightnouse became spectrum. My wife’s second generation Stream had to be replaced by an iPod.

We also can no longer use our Sonos equipment because it simply stopped connecting.

My laptop still falls off the network now and then.

We are stuck with Spectrum because of a deal with the apartment community. We have fiber speeds but other major annoyances make it not worth our while. Still if they bring the right cable box hopefully Monday I’ll almost forgive them until Tuesday when my computer falls off the network again.

Merv

[...]

Oh man!  I’m glad I didn’t choose Spectrum.  This building only had Spectrom/time warner, until shortly before I moved in.  But now, there is also Verizon Fios.  That’s what I got.  Pam.

[...]

Well, I gave you all the info for the 201 box which I have here in Texas! I called the accessibility line and their department deals with these boxes! If anyone is have issues dealing with spectrum please give a call,to Will Schell I guarantee your issues will be noted and resolved! Will Schell

Attorney Advisor,  Disability Rights Office

Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau

Federal Communications Commission

Phone:    202-418-0767

E-mail:    Will.Schell@...

Web:       www.fcc.gov/disability THat is how I was able to get what I needed! Cheers Heather

[...]

Your information is very valuable and I already passed it to a lot of people. I appreciate it very much. Here in Florida Spectrum used to be Brighthouse. Believe me I am not kidding when I tell you their idea of accessibility used to be call us and we will read you the total of your cable bill. And charge you $5 for the privilege.

Florida is very behind the times. The tech that came today had never even seen this 110 set top box or remote control that the tech yesterday left. He had never heard narration before. I asked him why he as a Spectrum employee was not trained on such things and he said they are not allowed to deal with any issues related to anything that is not a standard run of the mill box.

I gave your remote directions to quite a few people who needed them and they are very appreciative. Thank you again.

Merv

[...]

I forgot, was watching my football games woe! So when you contact Will Schell. Please include the date and the name of your service tec and if you have the chain of communication that has taken place. It is supposed to be one box that gives you all the accessibility features; not boxes that have parshal. As far as I know that would be the 201 boxes the other boxes are supposed to not be in use anymore! Now if they are charging you more to have these boxes, yes they did this too, that is against the law. For a while here they wanted to charge you more money as they were classifying this box as a specialized box. So make sure you watch your cable bill for set top box fees!  Cheers Heather

[...]

The World box that supposed to get is the 210 which mine was delivered and installed and set up and it’s awesome and well worth having too as everything on mine speaks from the channel number when input it into the remote, channel info, show and time etc. when change channels, more info about the show when choose the info button. Also gives you the ability to record using the dvr as it announces verbally the choice. Also announces verbally when pause a show with the dvr etc.

The remote is also laid out very well and simple too.

So well worth the wait for us folks in Florida.

[...]

brian

    It sounds like it's time to file a complaint with the Fcc for non complience with the 21 first century vidio accessability act.  They need to be held accountable.  Companies like this just don't care about our needs so they mucst be forced to do so.  You should just tell them them that you are not going to pay for their service becuse you are unable to use it.  Cancil and don't pay them any money untul you get oyour acccccessable box.  We must demand our accessability it's the law.  It's high time to stop letting theese good fornothing companies walk all over us.  We are paying customers to and enough is enough.

Brian Sackrider