Help Getting Started With OpenDrive

Margaret Thomas

Good Afternoon:

I got a licensed copy of OpenDrive to back up documents and files on my Windows 7 machine a couple months ago.  It was not a good time to try to learn
something new then and, although now isn't much better, I want to try again and hope some kind person who uses the service can help me get started.

I downloaded and installed the app back then and created a test folder in Documents and uploaded a couple test documents and put them in the test folder.

When I logged in yesterday, I got a message saying that a new version was available and asking if I wanted to update.  I didn't click on yes.  Somewhere it
seems to say that

version 1.7.4.15 is the most recent.  Other than Programs and Features, which says 1.7.4.9, how can I find out what version I have?  Help in the menu Is
about help for Windows and not OpenDrive.  Is the new one accessible  with JAWS 2018, 2019 and NVDA 2019.1.1? Windows 10 is in the near future.

I was able to find the User Guide for the app on my previous attempt at learning OpenDrive a couple months ago and, after some fumbling around yesterday, found
the darn thing.  Am I missing something or is it not available on the app or only on the page for

www.opendrive.com

I also  have a question about uploading documents to the secure folder. I think I read something during my previous learning attempt  about a second password
being necessary to complete it.  Does this replace the password one signs in with or are there two passwords needed to do different things.

I do not have experience with DropBox etc.  and heartily disliked OpenDrive on my earlier effort with the thing and, today, don't like it any better.
Does anyone have any hints or suggestions for configuring the app so it works better with JAWS and/or NVDA?  I'm running Google Chrome and Firefox.

Any help getting my money's worth out of OpenDrive and feeling comfortable with it would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret

Margaret Thomas

Good Evening:

I apologize if my previous attempt at sending this did make it to the list.  It landed in my in-box and not in the folder where it should have gone.

[...]

Walter Ramage

Hi. When using the Secure folder for the first time you are asked to create a password. This is a password different to your log in password and has no connection. It is very important you remember this password or keep a copy somewhere because not even Open Drive can get access to the secure folder. If you lose or forget your password for the secure folder then you can ask Open Drive to reset the folder but in doing so, you will lose all the content of that folder. Walter.

[...]

Thanks, Walter.

I don't have any files I want to share and have save password and auto log-in unchecked.  The way things have been going, I'll lose the password for secure.

Margaret

On 9/16/2019 2:28 AM, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io wrote:
block quote
[...]

Walter and All:

I spent more time with OpenDrive overnight and made some progress and hope to work on it again today.

Do you know if they have telephone support? I filled out a support form only to run into a captcha (sp.). There was something billed as an audio variant, where one could supposedly type the words heard, but they were spoken at a thousand words per minute and I had to give up.

Any hints or suggestions for working with the service would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret

On 9/17/2019 6:45 PM, Margaret Thomas wrote:
[...]

Hi. There is a 24 hour help line but where on the site it is I can't remember. If you click on Support you might find it but when contacting support via email I've never encounterred a capcha. I've not been following this thread from it's beginning so what issue do you have with Open Drive?

I've just checked, here's the number they give, hope it helps. Walter.

Phone number.
(888) 418-1108

[...]

Thank you, thank you, Walter! I don't know how long I looked for a phone number. I had looked at support and didn't find anything, looked all over for contact us and only found a link under support to fill out a form. The captcha (sp.) comes up after the submit button.

The tech support person seemed to know that visually impaired computer users have trouble with those things and I asked him if they could do something like I am not a robot. He said one can e-mail

support@opendrive.com

which is perfectly doable.

I signed up with OpenDrive in July and wasn't feeling good then and it's not a great time to try to learn something new now, but I want to try.

One of my problems was that I got a message when I logged in that a new update was available. The Setup Wizard wanted me to agree with the license agreement, tell it where I wanted program files, etc. just like I did during the original setup and I was afraid continuing would mess up my setup. The tech support person asked for a screen shot, which I don't know how to do and just thanked him for giving me the support address. I decided to let the update finish and my test backups seem intact.

Today's project should be to make sure I can get something back to the computer if I accidentally lose it somehow.

Margaret

On 9/18/2019 10:14 AM, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Hi. I take it you are using the desktop application?

All you need do is launch the desktop aplication and your folders will show and you just copy and paste to and from it as you would when using any folder or external drive. I just ignore the update notification when it appears and update when I'm in the mood. However when you do update it shouldn't affect your settings.

I do like the principle of Open Drive but the only gripe I have with them is the very slow uploads and downloads. Walter.

[...]

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Is openDrive a free one or, if not, what does it cost?

<HT>

On 9/18/2019 11:35 AM, Margaret Thomas wrote:
[...]

Howard and All:

They have several plans. There is a free one:

"5GB Online Storage
5 GB Storage, 100 MB Max File Size, 1 GB/Day Bandwidth, 200 KB/s Speed, Auto Syncing and Backup, Online Tools
Up to 5 Notes
Create Notepads, Notes or Notelists, Share Notes, Upload Files
Up to 10 Tasks
Project Lists, Projects, Task lists, Tasks, Comments, Subcomments
1 Account User
Extra account users can share this account and owner has option to manage account user access
Best For:
Home users who want to backup/sync only a few folders/files on their Linux/Mac/Windows personal computers and/or share personal files with just a single user."

and an unlimited personal: for $9.95 a month or $99 /year:

"Unlimited Online Storage
Unlimited Storage, Bandwidth, File Size and Computer Access, Auto Syncing and Backup, Online Tools, File Versioning, File Encryption, Redundant Back Up.

Mass storage of media libraries and NAS/SAN devices not permitted on this plan.
Unlimited Notes
Create Notepads, Notes or Notelists, Share Notes, Upload Files
Up to 10 Tasks
Project Lists, Projects, Task lists, Tasks, Comments, Subcomments
Account Users
Up to 4 account users can share this account and owner has option to manage access of each account user
Best For:
Home users who want to backup/sync files on their Linux/Mac/Windows personal computers and/or share personal files up to 4 users."

There's also a custom personal for $5.00 a month or $50.00 a year.

"500 GB Online Storage
Unlimited File Size and Computer Access, Auto Syncing and Backup, Online Tools, File Versioning, File Encryption, Redundant Back Up.

Mass storage of media libraries and NAS/SAN devices is included.
25 GB Daily Bandwidth
Maximum amount of data downloaded per day
Unlimited Notes
Create Notepads, Notes or Notelists, Share Notes, Upload Files
Up to 10 Tasks
Project Lists, Projects, Task lists, Tasks, Comments, Subcomments
Account User Management
User Admin Console, Access Management, User Statistics and Reporting, Activity Notifications
Best For:
Home users who want to backup/sync files on their Linux/Mac/Windows personal computers, including NAS and SAN devices, media libraries and /or share personal files. This plan allows the most users."

There are business and enterprise plans.

https://www.opendrive.com/pricing

I THINK you MAY be able to try out the paid ones for some period of time, but couldn't find it. Someone at customer service can give you details and information about plans. The number is (888) 418-1108.

Margaret

On 9/18/2019 6:35 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

[...]

Thank you, yes, I have the client installed. I did make a test folder on the client and put a couple of test files in there. So far, they have been so short that I haven't noticed slowness.

OpenDrive claims to have the ability to schedule backups, backup when changes are made to a file, and lots of other stuff that sounded interesting. I used Carbonite for years, but did not find it very accessible. Then, when I needed it, the customer support person couldn't get back what I had lost. Maybe no one could have, but, when my renewal came up I decided to give up on it. So, I'm giving OpenDrive a try to supplement my external hard drive.

Margaret