From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2019 9:52 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] NVDA AND ANDROID?

Wouldn't it be nice if NVDA could be somehow ported over to Android? What a
game changer that would be?

Just musing, even though I don't know what's possible from a programming
perspective. I guess it's good to dream and wait! Jaws is being embedded
into kiosk apps; NVDA might possibly take a giant leap into the world of
mobile toy accessibility.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Damien Garwood

Hi,
I'm guessing on pretty much all levels here, so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.
Bad news: The hardest thing would be the fact that different operating systems use different methods of accomplishing the same tasks. That includes UI systems, which means potentially different accessibility feedback systems.
Good news: Because it's open source, someone with the right motivation and knowhow could likely do it. Though if my above theory is correct then it would be less of a port and more of a rewrite.
On the other hand, I believe Android already has its own screen reading system, if not builtin then certainly as an app. Whether it's as extensive as NVDA I'm not sure, but I know you can get Eloquence for it.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 16/09/2019 05:59 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Short answer: no.
Long answer: NVDA is optimized for Windows at the moment, so it'll take time
to make it work under Android.
Cheers,
Joseph

Mr. Joseph Lee wrote in part:

"NVDA is optimized for Windows at the moment, so it'll take time to make it
work under Android."

I can hold on to that optimism! As evolution continues to steer technology
through this universal space, perhaps my dream can stay alive and be
challenged by the test of time. It sure will be a real game changer even if
someone like me has to pay any number of pennies to purchase an NVDA For
Android screen reader!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Damien, in the mobile arena as we have it presently, only Android supports
multiple screen readers! There's a new one slowly making the rounds; it's
called Commentary Screen Reader. Once upon a time, Shine occupied that
space alongside Talkback; however, Shine developers disappeared into
oblivion! Since both Android and NVDA are open-source, I won't be surprised
if they choose to SHAKE HANDS as I dream on.

It will interest you to know that I DO NOT use NVDA actively although I do
need to take the time to tinker with it. I keep promising myself to set a
time for such activity, but my foggy brain just won't MARK THE CALENDAR
right. Maybe I'll go trade it or find somewhere to exchange it for one that
will be unschedule. Hmm, doing that could make me become a conformist, so
the prospect of doing what I just proposed is a tad scary! Anyhow, I'll
keep the plan to stick my fingers into the NVDA world alive and just slowly
walk my way to it.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Jaffar Sidek

Brother.  With programming, anything is possible, as long as the hardware you are programming for is not smarter than the programmer himself/herself.  The issue is who really wants to be responsible for the challenge of porting a program specially tailored for windows into Android land, and can it reallisticallly be done?  Things to consider:

1.  Windows and android differ in their user interfaces. Therefore, If NVDA was to work on Android, the programmer concerned will have to start from scratch.

2.  NVDA is an Addon based screenreader, meaning that all those who had programmed their addons for windows will have to again start from scratch and reprogram them for a different User Interface, a huge undertaking, and something I guess most would not have the inclination nor the time to do.

3.  a lot of NVDA's programming is derived from a Python gui software known as wxPython.  NVDA could work on Android only if WxPython has been ported to the Android Operating system.  As of now, WxPython has not yet enjoyed Android support, which means that a lot of NVDA's programming paradigm will not work on Android.

So, the chances for now, at least for NVDA to be built in to the Android eco system is a pesimistic one.  We can only hope and pray for a better future and for someone who will be willing to take up the task should the opportunity arise.  And on that happy note? ...  Cheers!

On 9/17/2019 12:52 AM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if NVDA could be somehow ported over to Android? What a
game changer that would be?

Just musing, even though I don't know what's possible from a programming
perspective. I guess it's good to dream and wait! Jaws is being embedded
into kiosk apps; NVDA might possibly take a giant leap into the world of
mobile toy accessibility.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Margaret Thomas

Hi, All:

I'm an old dinosaur willing to make occasional forays into the 21st century. Could someone please tell me what kiosk apps are? The last I knew kiosks were small booths in a mall or parking lot.

Thanks,

Margaret

On 9/16/2019 12:52 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if NVDA could be somehow ported over to Android? What a
game changer that would be?
Just musing, even though I don't know what's possible from a programming
perspective. I guess it's good to dream and wait! Jaws is being embedded
into kiosk apps; NVDA might possibly take a giant leap into the world of
mobile toy accessibility.
Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Mike B

Hi Margaret,

A quick search says this:

Featured snippet from the web
Kiosk Apps are Chrome Apps that are designed to always run fullscreen using Single App Kiosk Mode on Chrome OS and do not allow the user to exit the app.
They're great for a purpose-built Chrome device, such as a guest registration desk, a library catalog station, or a point-of-sale system in a store.
Kiosk Apps - Google Chrome

Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NVDA AND ANDROID?

Sis Margaret wrote in part:

"I'm an old dinosaur willing to make occasional forays into the 21st
century. Could someone please tell me what kiosk apps are? The last I knew
kiosks were small booths in a mall or parking lot."

If I dare say so, I'm worst than a dinosaur; but yes sister, you're right!
However, for that kiosk to function, there's an operating system that powers
the app it runs on. Windows cE5xx or 6xx are two examples of such OS's.
Credit card readers and scanners used in stores to process a typical
checkout all still run on Windows cE. But, Microsoft NO LONGER supports
this OS? For public consumption, YES! Behind the scenes for businesses
like Master/Visa/Discover cards and others, Microsoft still rakes in enough
pennies on the OS.

Ok, Android and iOS do read credit cards too; that's true, but, there aren't
that many scanners or PDC's--portable data collectors--powered by either
Android or iOS.

I'm sure you do know that kiosks ARE NOT accessible to the blind; well,
Vispero (or are they still Freedom Scientific?) could be changing that.
I'll scope out the general info an post it in this space. However, don't
expect wide range adoption for quite some time; a fight may necessary go
through the courts before some kiosk operators will permit the installation
of Jaws to work with their apps.

Lastly, we still can't tear a dollar bill apart without the use of a talking
gadget. Hmm, we could have been a lot closer following the court order
several years back; notwithstanding, kiosk operators still oppose the use of
tactile markings on the dollar bill. Worst still, the Bureau of Printing
and the Department of Treasury are NOTORIOUSLY SLOW at coming up with
tactile designs that fit the bill. So, the waiting game continues, maybe we
can find a way to force their hands soon!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Here's a repost of my contribution on the subject-matter; I spotted
syntactical errors that needed correction!

Sis Margaret wrote in part:

[...]

expect wide range adoption for quite some time; a fight may necessarily go
through the courts before some kiosk operators will permit the installation
of Jaws to work with their apps.

Lastly, we still can't tear a dollar bill apart without the use of a talking
gadget. Hmm, we could have been a lot closer following the court order
several years back; notwithstanding, kiosk operators still oppose the use of
tactile markings on the dollar bill. Worst still, the Bureau of Printing &
Engraving