Windows Ten Question

Shelly Kane

HI Group:

Just recently, I received a notification on my computer telling me that as of January that Windows Seven won't be supported anymore.  My question is what is the easiest way for me to obtain Windows Ten?  When I get it, how would I set it up on my computer so I will be able to navigate around?  I know nothing about this operating system.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Will my programs read the same way as they are now?

Shelly

hi.
use the windows 10 update assistant it will upgrade you from windows 7 to 10

On 9/17/19, Shelly Kane <shellykane323@gmail.com> wrote:
                HI Group:

Just recently, I received a notification on my computer telling me that
as of January that Windows Seven won't be supported anymore.  My
question is what is the easiest way for me to obtain Windows Ten?  When
I get it, how would I set it up on my computer so I will be able to
navigate around?  I know nothing about this operating system.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Will my programs read the same way as
they are now?

Shelly

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Dave

Hello Shelly,

Even though Win 7 Support is going away, you would still be able to use
Win 7 for a while, possibly for several years depending upon how you use
the Computer.

In January, Win 7 will not just stop working.  Microsoft just will not
be updating it as needed.  Either New bugs and New Conflicts won't be
addressed, or eventually, new programs you have yet to obtain will not
work.  But this too won't be something that happens over night.

I would say you have at least a year to continue to use Win 7, and
perhaps even longer.

I have a friend who is still using Win XP, and he even goes On Line with
it, although he does have some troubles doing so cleanly.    But, he
still uses the same programs he had back when XP was King, and he even
still uses his old Printer, which works fine with his System.

Now if he were to buy a new printer, there most likely will not be any
Drivers for XP, or Win 7 after this coming January.

My guess is that the weakest area in Win 7 is going to be connecting to
the Internet, and this has to do with the Browser more than Win 7.  But
if new versions of Fire Fox or Chrome come along, and they will not run
in Win 7, then you will be limited to running older versions of these
Browsers.  Which might work for a long time.  It really depends upon the
Constantly Changing Internet.

And as mentioned before, if you need to buy a new printer,or Scanner, or
some other Device connected to the Computer, there eventually will not
be Drivers for these new items.

As far as upgrading to Win 10-

I don't know what speed you have become accustomed to with your Win 7.
But installing Win 10 will slow everything down.  it will take longer to
Boot and to move around doing your normal tasks. And it is different
than Win 7.  Like with other Operating Systems, there are similarities
and big differences between Win 10 and Win 7.

There will be a learning process, and you won't need to learn everything
there is about Win 10, but you will need to find out how to do the
typical things you now do in Win 7.   And that should not take you too
long, maybe a few hours to a day or two.

<Smile>  And that's about it for my Arm Chair early morning Pontificating.

Grumpy Dave

Gene

You didn't discuss the question of unsupported versions of Windows becoming increasingly more vulnerable to hacks because security updates aren't offerred.  My view, and I'd be interested in comments from people with far more technical knowledge than I have, is that if you take certain precautions, one of which is becoming increasingly inconvenient and increasingly not possible as sites evolve, is not to use JAVA script unless a site requires it.  The problem is that sites increasingly require it, though if you can do what you want on the site, you can leave it off for that site.

And you aren't protecting yourself as much as you may think by only using reputable sites because the problem of third party hacked advertising occurs on those sites enough that it has been written about in general interest media.

Of course, you should take all the usual precautions you would take with any version of Windows or any operating system, the familiar ones about attachments, etc.

I still use XP, though I have a Windows 7 machine I use but mostly off line.  But if I were doing something where I used personal information such as banking online, I wouldn't use XP.  How do I know my XP machine isn't compromised?  I don't think it is, but I don't know, and with XP out of support and not just that, but years out of support, I wouldn't trust it for such uses.

[...]

Also, your comments about Windows being slower are misleading.  I haven't looked into whether Windows 10 requires a more powerful machine to perform at the same level.  But whatever the case, if someone has a machine already that can run it well, I see no reason to assume a slowdown and I have heard no such general comments of the sort from users or in reviews, that is, from people running machines that are already capable of running Windows 10 well, but are running an earlier version of Windows.

We don't know anything about the machine that may be upgraded in this case.  If we did, those with far more technical knowledge than I could speak far better as to whether it would run Windows 10 well.

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hello:

In answer to your questions: You shouldn't have major difficulty using Windows 10.  I was reticent to install it for a few years, but when I did install it, It wasn't very difficult to use.  Your browsers: Firefox, and Chrome should work just about the same as with Windows 7.  Thunderbird also works without issues.
The only major difference that I can see for normal operation is the Windows Explorer/My Computer now in Windows 10 known as This PC interface. It uses the ribbons.  However, you can easily achieve most operations such as creating a new folder and sorting and listing items via hotkeys and the context menu.  There is also a hack to restore This PC to the normal menu driven system of Windows 7 and earlier.

For the installation, you might call the Microsoft phone for disability and ask them to install it remotely.  Lacking that, you can buy a new computer and it will come installed.

Here is the phone number:
Microsoft Disability Assistance Phone Number
1-800-936-5900

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Fanus

Hello Dave
It is interesting that you say Windows 10 takes longer to boot and that it makes your pc slower. I find just the opposite. I bought this pc in 2011 with Windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 10 two years ago. My pc boots faster and I do not find any program that makes my pc slower. Also, Windows 10 was a lesser learning curve for me than any other Windows version.
Regards
Fanus

[...]

Paul Mugambi

Hello after upgrading from windows 10 1809 to 1903 I have a
challenge of jaws being distorted.
I have done the upgrade twice.
the firtst time I downgraded and the second time it has the same issue.
Jaws is distorted while using headphones!
any advice or I just downgrade again?

On 9/18/19, Fanus <buys.fanus@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

2018 Chief Minister Inclusion award Winner.
"I acknowledge the traditional owners of land and I pay respect
to Elders past and present."
Do not under estimate me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMgwEIQrRPE&fbclid=IwAR1n2v7G0KdWYf_JWTBY9K9Hp95ViW9ic8gujZp0lQOwvzwTbohnAkxrwLc
my Whats app number is +254 792 746 642
alternative e mail
info@mugambipaul.com
To support the initiatives
https://www.paypal.me/mpofunamba1

Gene

Are you using USB headphones?  You specified when you are using headphones, which implies the ;problem may not exist when using speakers.  You can see if there is a more current driver for the headphones.  I have no idea if upgrading the driver would help.

Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:05 AM

--
2018 Chief Minister Inclusion award Winner.
"I   acknowledge the traditional owners of land  and I  pay  respect
to Elders past and present."
Do not under estimate me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMgwEIQrRPE&fbclid=IwAR1n2v7G0KdWYf_JWTBY9K9Hp95ViW9ic8gujZp0lQOwvzwTbohnAkxrwLc
my Whats app number is +254 792 746 642
alternative e  mail
info@...
To support the initiatives
https://www.paypal.me/mpofunamba1

Dave

<Laughing>  Gosh People!   have you ever heard, Your Mileage may Vary?

Someone asks for a personal experience, someone else gives their Bad
experience, and some other person comes along and shares that their
experiences were wonderful!

Way back when Microsoft was pushing Win 10 for Free.  I had two systems
at work, one with Win 7 and the other with win 8.  We upgraded both
systems and both systems ran slower than they did running win 7 and 8.
Same system, different OS.

I have a system at home, with a quick I7 chip and 8 GB or memory.  I
installed Win 10 on it, and at first it seemed to run about the same.
then got an update, and I don't recall which one it was, but after that,
my system ran slower, and became even slower as time moved on.

this might be due to some conflict, or some file getting damaged during
an update, or who knows what or why.  But my experiences with Win 10 on
the first three systems it was installed  was not faster, but slower.

Now I have a New system with a SSD drive, and loads of memory and a fast
chip.  This thing boots up in practically no time at all! Amazingly quick.

Shelly's machine might only have 4 GB or RAM or she might have 8 or
more.  I was just giving her my experiences, since she had asked for
such information from the list.

And please don't tell me your machine is faster, tell Shelly. She is the
one that had the question.

Definitely Grumpy Dave

heather albright

I followed various sources not only from this list. I even know folks who work at Microsoft personally. Yes there are issues and Microsoft is working on them. So you can choose to update or not to update. Each person and each system is different and it is not a one size fits all. Just like not everyone is updating their i-devices because they have bugs! So please stop putting each other down and give information for the sake of giving information and leave at that! Cheers Heather

e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
An Accessible Online Library:
www.bookshare.org

[...]

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

To the person having the problem with distorted sound with JAWS, You can go to sounds and disable enhanced sound effects.

[...]

chris judge

Yes, don't forget, people used xp for years after support was ended.

[...]

You didn’t qualify your discussion.  You said things like, I don’t know what speed you are used to but Windows 10 is slower.  People are responding to that.  You may have meant to discuss the matter as your personal experience but your message didn’t indicate that.

[...]

Monte Single

I have a Brother monochrome laser printer which I purchased in 2011. I first used it with xp and now I have used it for the last six years with win 7.
I have also used it with win 10. With win 7 an 10 I did not even install drivers for the printer. I connected it, and printed with it.
Scanners are different. Must have drivers!!

[...]

Dave:

Thank you so much for explain things to me.  i just thought I had better start getting used to windows 10 wince windows 7 isn't going to be supported anymore.  I use the computer for email and searching the internet and using Facebook.  I may possible need it for a transcription job on Rev if I can even do it with Jaws.  So I'm hoping windows 10 won't be that difficult since that's all I do.  One more things, I also use Bard Express.  Take care.

Shelly

On 9/17/2019 9:43 AM, Dave wrote:
[...]

.

Shelly Kane

Thank you Ron!  I greatly appreciate you answering my question. My computer will be nine years old in February but I really don't do much with it.  Will Thunderbird work the same?  Occasionally, I will hit control escape to bring up the start menu and get it that way but for the most part, I use alt control T.  I also have shortcut keys for Firefox and Chrome.  I really don't want to learn all about it basically just the things I do.

Shelly

On 9/17/2019 10:09 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

I don't use Windows 10, but I helped a friend who uses it with a problem by phone.  My impression is that, unless you use Windows 10 apps, or programs where you use something like the JAWS cursor, that using Windows 10 is similar to using Windows 7.  There are specific differences, which people may comment on, but in general, I don't think what you do will be affected much and it should be easy to learn the changes.  The person I helped has a hard time learning new things regarding Windows and Windows programs and she didn't say anything to me about Windows 10 being hard to switch to.  I don't know this, but I doubt a transcription employer would allow you to use Windowws 7 for security reasons.

Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:37 AM

On 9/17/2019 9:43 AM, Dave wrote:
> Hello Shelly,
>

> Even though Win 7 Support is going away, you would still be able to use
> Win 7 for a while, possibly for several years depending upon how you use
> the Computer.
>

> In January, Win 7 will not just stop working.  Microsoft just will not
> be updating it as needed.  Either New bugs and New Conflicts won't be
> addressed, or eventually, new programs you have yet to obtain will not
> work.  But this too won't be something that happens over night.
>

> I would say you have at least a year to continue to use Win 7, and
> perhaps even longer.
>

> I have a friend who is still using Win XP, and he even goes On Line with
> it, although he does have some troubles doing so cleanly.    But, he
> still uses the same programs he had back when XP was King, and he even
> still uses his old Printer, which works fine with his System.
>

> Now if he were to buy a new printer, there most likely will not be any
> Drivers for XP, or Win 7 after this coming January.
>

> My guess is that the weakest area in Win 7 is going to be connecting to
> the Internet, and this has to do with the Browser more than Win 7.  But
> if new versions of Fire Fox or Chrome come along, and they will not run
> in Win 7, then you will be limited to running older versions of these
> Browsers.  Which might work for a long time.  It really depends upon the
> Constantly Changing Internet.
>

> And as mentioned before, if you need to buy a new printer,or Scanner, or
> some other Device connected to the Computer, there eventually will not
> be Drivers for these new items.
>

> As far as upgrading to Win 10-
>

> I don't know what speed you have become accustomed to with your Win 7.
> But installing Win 10 will slow everything down.  it will take longer to
> Boot and to move around doing your normal tasks. And it is different
> than Win 7.  Like with other Operating Systems, there are similarities
> and big differences between Win 10 and Win 7.
>

> There will be a learning process, and you won't need to learn everything
> there is about Win 10, but you will need to find out how to do the
> typical things you now do in Win 7.   And that should not take you too
> long, maybe a few hours to a day or two.
>

> <Smile>  And that's about it for my Arm Chair early morning
> Pontificating.
>

> Grumpy Dave
>

> .

Gene

I don't know if a nine-year-old computer has whatever is needed to run Windows 7 or to run it well in terms of what is actually in the computer.  For example, it doesn't use the newer BIOS system and I don't know if or how that might matter.  I hope others discuss this.  Computers that can do what you want to do aren't expensive these days and it might well either be necessary or make more sense just to get a new one with Windows 10 on it.

Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:43 AM

Thank you Ron!  I greatly appreciate you answering my question. My
computer will be nine years old in February but I really don't do much
with it.  Will Thunderbird work the same?  Occasionally, I will hit
control escape to bring up the start menu and get it that way but for
the most part, I use alt control T.  I also have shortcut keys for
Firefox and Chrome.  I really don't want to learn all about it basically
just the things I do.

Shelly

On 9/17/2019 10:09 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
> Hello:
>
> In answer to your questions: You shouldn't have major difficulty using
> Windows 10.  I was reticent to install it for a few years, but when I
> did install it, It wasn't very difficult to use.  Your browsers:
> Firefox, and Chrome should work just about the same as with Windows
> 7.  Thunderbird also works without issues.
> The only major difference that I can see for normal operation is the
> Windows Explorer/My Computer now in Windows 10 known as This PC
> interface. It uses the ribbons.  However, you can easily achieve most
> operations such as creating a new folder and sorting and listing items
> via hotkeys and the context menu.  There is also a hack to restore
> This PC to the normal menu driven system of Windows 7 and earlier.
>
> For the installation, you might call the Microsoft phone for
> disability and ask them to install it remotely.  Lacking that, you can
> buy a new computer and it will come installed.
>
> Here is the phone number:
> Microsoft Disability Assistance Phone Number
> 1-800-936-5900
>

> On 9/17/2019 2:00 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
>>         HI Group:
>>

>> Just recently, I received a notification on my computer telling me
>> that as of January that Windows Seven won't be supported anymore. My
>> question is what is the easiest way for me to obtain Windows Ten?
>> When I get it, how would I set it up on my computer so I will be able
>> to navigate around?  I know nothing about this operating system.  Any
>> help would be greatly appreciated.  Will my programs read the same
>> way as they are now?
>>
>> Shelly

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Here is the minimum requirement to run Windows 10 according to Microsoft But I think they are too minimum. I have a laptop with 1.7 GH and 3 GB RAM and windows 10 runs extremely slow in comparison to my Desktop with 3.2 GH and 8 GB RAM..

Jun 19, 2019 - Windows 10 system requirements. Latest OS: Make sure you're running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update. Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC. RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit. Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS. Graphics card: ...

Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:43 AM