Confirm or disprove a rumor that iPhone 6S will no longer be supported after 13.1 update this month?

Peter Spitz

I was told that my iPhone 6S will not be able to receive any updates
after the 13.1 update that is scheduled for this month. Does anyone
know if this is true? Also, pardon my ignorance but will the phone
still be useable once they stop supporting it? I literally bought it
new from Consumer Cellular less than two weeks ago and was hoping it
would last me a couple years. I don't use the phone often, mainly for
text messages and the occasional voice call. Thanks for any info in
advance!

Peter

Cristóbal

It'll probably be good for any 13.X updates, but I wouldn't hold my breath for next year's 14 iOS.
That aside, it should still work perfectly fine even after Apple stops providing iOS updates for it. No different than Win 7 for example where its lifecycle came to an end, but that didn't mean that suddenly the OS was no longer functional.
I have an SE as my second business cell and I plan on using that bad boy until the wheels fall off.
Most likely, you may find that certain apps once iOS 14 come out may start giving you problems or run slower or simply not have all the features available than newer versions, but as far as the phone not working? Not true.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Spitz
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 10:13 AM
To: main <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Confirm or disprove a rumor that iPhone 6S will no longer be supported after 13.1 update this month?

I was told that my iPhone 6S will not be able to receive any updates after the 13.1 update that is scheduled for this month. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, pardon my ignorance but will the phone still be useable once they stop supporting it? I literally bought it new from Consumer Cellular less than two weeks ago and was hoping it would last me a couple years. I don't use the phone often, mainly for text messages and the occasional voice call. Thanks for any info in advance!

Peter

Peter Spitz

Thanks for that explanation! I feel better now.

On 9/24/19, Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@gmail.com> wrote:
It'll probably be good for any 13.X updates, but I wouldn't hold my breath
for next year's 14 iOS.
That aside, it should still work perfectly fine even after Apple stops
providing iOS updates for it. No different than Win 7 for example where its
lifecycle came to an end, but that didn't mean that suddenly the OS was no
longer functional.
I have an SE as my second business cell and I plan on using that bad boy
until the wheels fall off.
Most likely, you may find that certain apps once iOS 14 come out may start
giving you problems or run slower or simply not have all the features
available than newer versions, but as far as the phone not working? Not
true.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter
Spitz
Subject: [TechTalk] Confirm or disprove a rumor that iPhone 6S will no
longer be supported after 13.1 update this month?

I was told that my iPhone 6S will not be able to receive any updates after
the 13.1 update that is scheduled for this month. Does anyone know if this
is true? Also, pardon my ignorance but will the phone still be useable once
they stop supporting it? I literally bought it new from Consumer Cellular
less than two weeks ago and was hoping it would last me a couple years. I
don't use the phone often, mainly for text messages and the occasional voice
call. Thanks for any info in advance!

Peter

Jujube

I imagine it'll still be usable even though there'll; no more updates.

----- Original Message -----
To: main <main@techtalk.groups.io
Date sent: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 12:12:59 -0500
Subject: [TechTalk] Confirm or disprove a rumor that iPhone 6S will no longer be supported after 13.1 update this month?

I was told that my iPhone 6S will not be able to receive any updates
after the 13.1 update that is scheduled for this month. Does anyone
know if this is true? Also, pardon my ignorance but will the phone
still be useable once they stop supporting it? I literally bought it
new from Consumer Cellular less than two weeks ago and was hoping it
would last me a couple years. I don't use the phone often, mainly for
text messages and the occasional voice call. Thanks for any info in
advance!

Peter

Carolyn Arnold

Two of my girlfriends at cards still have iPhone 5's; they work.

Best regards,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Confirm or disprove a rumor that iPhone 6S will no longer be supported after 13.1 update this month?

It'll probably be good for any 13.X updates, but I wouldn't hold my breath for next year's 14 iOS.
That aside, it should still work perfectly fine even after Apple stops providing iOS updates for it. No different than Win 7 for example where its lifecycle came to an end, but that didn't mean that suddenly the OS was no longer functional.
I have an SE as my second business cell and I plan on using that bad boy until the wheels fall off.
Most likely, you may find that certain apps once iOS 14 come out may start giving you problems or run slower or simply not have all the features available than newer versions, but as far as the phone not working? Not true.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Spitz

I was told that my iPhone 6S will not be able to receive any updates after the 13.1 update that is scheduled for this month. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, pardon my ignorance but will the phone still be useable once they stop supporting it? I literally bought it new from Consumer Cellular less than two weeks ago and was hoping it would last me a couple years. I don't use the phone often, mainly for text messages and the occasional voice call. Thanks for any info in advance!

Peter

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I would supect that any IOS 13 will be updated up to ISO 14, at least that was the way they did with 12 for IPhones 6,.

Shelly Kane

Hi Group:

My mom has an I phone 5 C and she has had it for five years and she hasn't had updates since IOS 9 came out.  Her phone works fine.  Of course, she doesn't use it much.  She just uses it for texting and phone calls.  The phone works fine but just doesn't have the updates.  I have an SE that will be 3 years old and I'm hoping to get another year out of it.  I think Apple wants to scare people so they run out and buy a new phone.  Apple also makes our older phones slower to persuade us to buy new ones.  I know what's really going on and I don't fall for it.   Hope this helps.

Shelly

On 9/24/2019 1:24 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

Peter

chris judge

I was lead to believe that any phone lower than a 7 would not update to IOS 13. Is this not the case?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: September 24, 2019 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Confirm or disprove a rumor that iPhone 6S will no longer be supported after 13.1 update this month?

Peter

enes sarıbaş

yeah I have a 6 and it still works perfectly fine

On 9/24/2019 12:24 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

Peter

chris judge

And my mistake from earlier, it's the 6 S which is the oldest phone that will run IOS 13, not the 7, sorry about that.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: September 25, 2019 8:08 AM

yeah I have a 6 and it still works perfectly fine

On 9/24/2019 12:24 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

Peter

chris judge

I believe you can update the 5C to IOS 12, but you need to use itunes to do it.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shelly Kane
Sent: September 25, 2019 3:35 AM

Hi Group:

My mom has an I phone 5 C and she has had it for five years and she hasn't had updates since IOS 9 came out. Her phone works fine. Of course, she doesn't use it much. She just uses it for texting and phone calls. The phone works fine but just doesn't have the updates. I have an SE that will be 3 years old and I'm hoping to get another year out of it. I think Apple wants to scare people so they run out and buy a new phone. Apple also makes our older phones slower to persuade us to buy new ones. I know what's really going on and I don't fall for it. Hope this helps.

Shelly

On 9/24/2019 1:24 PM, Cristóbal wrote:

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Peter Spitz

Peter

Flor Lynch

This is not the case. I'm using a 6s on 13.1.

If your iPhone can't update any more, it will stop receiving updates anyway.

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:39 AM

I was lead to believe that any phone lower than a 7 would not update to IOS 13. Is this not the case?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: September 24, 2019 2:24 PM

Peter

Flor Lynch

Last year was an exception to Apple's usual iOS upgrading practices. Normally, the oldest version iPhones get taken off the upgrades train. So next year, if things go their normal way there, at least iOS6s and 6s+ will be taken out.

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 9:07 PM

I would supect that any IOS 13 will be updated up to ISO 14, at least that
was the way they did with 12 for IPhones 6,.