Dear Friends, How do I tell if I have a 32 Bit or 64 bit Windows 7 machine? Thanks!

Alan

Dear Friends, How do I tell if I have a 32 Bit or 64 bit Windows 7 machine?
I received this Windows 7 machine about 2 years ago, from Texas Computers For the Blind.
It is a refurbished H P Desk Top, running Windows 7 and I have JAWS 13 installed.
I was recommended by friends to a couple of web sites, like White Cane.org, where I can download some simple Programs, that are Freeware, but I am asked if I want the 32 or 64 bit version of the program, and to be honest, I do not know which I am using on this Windows 7 machine, which I have only been using less than 8 or 9 months.
It seems I used XP all my life, LOL!
Thanks for any assistance in advance.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Sunny South Florida

Mike B.

Yo Bro,

The easiest way:
1. Press, Windows key + R, to open the Run dialogue.
2. Type, C:, and press enter.  That is a capitol, C, and a colon
3. Press the letter, P, until you hear, Program Files, and press the letter, P, again and if you hear, Program Files (x86), this means you are running a 64 bit computer.
Note: A 32 bit computer will only have 1 Program Files folder on the root of the C drive.  With a 64 bit computer the 64 bit programs go into the Program Files folder and the 32 bit programs go into the Program Files (x86) folder.

Every man should marry.  After all, happiness is not the only thing in life.

Dear Friends, How do I tell if I have a 32 Bit or 64 bit Windows 7 machine?
I received this Windows 7 machine about 2 years ago, from Texas Computers
For the Blind.
It is a refurbished H P Desk Top, running Windows 7 and I have JAWS 13
installed.
I was recommended by friends to a couple of web sites, like White Cane.org,
where I can download some simple Programs, that are Freeware, but I am asked
if I want the 32 or 64 bit version of the program, and to be honest, I do
not know which I am using on this Windows 7 machine, which I have only been
using less than 8 or 9 months.
It seems I used XP all my life, LOL!
Thanks for any assistance in advance.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Sunny South Florida

Dave

I am sure there are more than one way to tell if your System is a 64 bit
or 32 bit, but here's how I find out.

I look on the C: Drive, at the folders.  If you have One folder that is
named PROGRAM FILES, and another called, PROGRAM FILES X86, then you
have a 64 bit System.

If you do not have a folder named PROGRAM FILES, but only have the one
named PROGRAM FILES X86, then this would be a 32 bit System.

When installing software, if the software getting installed is a 32 bit
program, it will be installed into the PROGRAM FILES X86 folder.  If it
happens to be a 64 bit program, it would be installed into the PROGRAM
FILES folder.

I just thought of another way-

In the Search Field, type, System Info and press the Enter Key.

This should bring up info about your computer, and I think it should
tell you what edition of Windows and whether it is 64 or 32 bit.    It
should tell you the Chip speed and the amount of Memory on board too.

Now, I haven't just tried this on my own system, but this info came from
some of the dusty crevices in my Brain.

Grumpy Dave

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi,
There are actually two programs for retrieving system information.

1. system info (systeminfo.exe)
This seems to be a console-driven program, so you would need to know how to use and navigate command prompt or similar in order to work it and read the reams of information it spits out at you. Luckily, there is a GUI version.

2. System information (msinfo32.exe)
This pretty much gives you the same information as the command line version above. Make sure "system summary" is highlighted on the treeview, then tab past to the list.
Even then though, it looks like that only tells you whether your machine is 32 or 64-bit, not the operating system. My machine, for instance, says: "System Type; x64-based PC". Of course, I could be wrong, I don't have a 32-bit version of Windows to compare with, but that does suggest hardware configuration to me.

Another way to do it is, if you go to "system" in the control panel, that gives you both software and hardware bit count, but you need to virtualise the window with your screen reader (in NVDA you'll need the Virtual Review addon), as you can't use standard navigation to get that information.

Personally, I think the best way to check is the "program files/program files (x86)" method. Much quicker and less painful.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 12/10/2019 10:23 pm, Dave wrote:
[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I have win10 and I have two program listings, one for my 32 bit older programs and one for the new 64 bit ones.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Smiling?

There's only one thing that I see that is incorrect below, and that is if you are using a 32bit machine, there will be a Program Files (x86) folder which is not true. If you are using a 32bit machine, it will only have a Program Files directory and not the Program Files (x86) directory.

It's when one is using a 64bit machine, it will have both of these above directories.

[...]

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

1. press window r for run dialogue box
2. type here, msinfo32 and press enter
3. then tab to the reading, use down arrow, yo uwill get the info you requested

note, in point 2, please type msinfo32 with no spaces