From: Andrew
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:05 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Any recommendations on pc support.

Hi Carlos and all, I’m asking this because I recently made a call to ms accessability help desk.

I needed help updating my security update for my Office 2010.

I really nice lady helped me but, made no headway. I was sent to escalation. The fellow thought uninstalling my Outlook 2010 would solve this.. He was wrong! It was not a good thing at all. They did more harm than good. With the help of friends, my pc has returned back to somewhat normal. My Outlook 2010 remains fobar.  BTW Merry Christmas to everyone! Ho, Ho, Ho

Andrew

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hello andrew, it is good to know that your computers up and working again. You're us in for future support I'm trying to get things fixed eventually, I would recommend looking at Best Buy or Staples or a local computer shop in your area. If it is blindness related, I would see is there any blindness trainers in your area, dad have interest in maybe helping fix your problems. Any of the services that I've mentioned above Will cost but very well worth it in the end. If you don't know how to find a good blemish related trainer in your area, I would looking contacting your local dollars office.. offers anything through it's office.

On Dec 21, 2016, at 1:05 PM, Andrew <edrew@...> wrote:

Hi Carlos and all, I’m asking this because I recently made a call to ms accessability help desk.
I needed help updating my security update for my Office 2010.
I really nice lady helped me but, made no headway. I was sent to escalation. The fellow thought uninstalling my Outlook 2010 would solve this.. He was wrong! It was not a good thing at all. They did more harm than good. With the help of friends, my pc has returned back to somewhat normal. My Outlook 2010 remains fobar.  BTW Merry Christmas to everyone! Ho, Ho, Ho
Andrew

Gerald Levy

In my experience, contacting a blindness rehab agency and asking one of their technology trainers for help is usually fruitless unless you have an open case with them.  A few years ago when my old XP computer died I tried contacting the technology trainer at the rehab center who had originally set it up for me in my apartment a few years earlier when I was still working with them, but he ignored my pleas for help.  I even contacted their director of community services and was basically told to take a hike because they could not offer any assistance or even recommend a knowledgeable service technician unless I had an open case.  Thank goodness my techie friend was able to bail me out.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Any recommendations on pc support.

[...]

thats voac rehab fore you totally useless

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

Gene

There is no reason for rehab to help people who are not clients.  I don't mind reasonable criticism of rehab agencies but this is not reasonable.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

Hi Gerald, that is some book rehab agencies issues. But a sense I have been the Vogue rehab community, I can possibly help Andrew if been he needed it. I have a couple guys that have jaws on their systems and one of them can see and could possibly help him via tandem for a fee. He would just need to contact me off list so that I could get him set up with

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

Sugar

I find that the Microsoft disability phone line is very helpful

night.

Sugar

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

Carlos

I'm sure that it probably is in general, but anyone can have a bad experience with any product or service which might sour their opinion.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

are you refering

to my comment? or are you refering to how voac rehab wouldn't help him?

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

john s

My pc guy here in Florida can give support by team viewer or instant house call.  He has worked with me dealing with Window Eyes.

Well, there's always the dubious Geek Squad.  But if you are looking for support which has experience with accessibility, I don't have any recommendations at the moment.  I have known specific individuals, including myself who have offered this kind of support in the past, but I don't currently have contact with anyone who is doing so at this time.  There may even be some members on the list who offer remote support of one form or another.
Hi Carlos and all, Im asking this because I recently made a call to ms accessability help desk.

I needed help updating my security update for my Office 2010.

I really nice lady helped me but, made no headway. I was sent to escalation. The fellow thought uninstalling my Outlook 2010 would solve this.. He was wrong! It was not a good thing at all. They did more harm than good. With the help of friends, my pc has returned back to somewhat normal. My Outlook 2010 remains fobar.  BTW Merry Christmas to everyone! Ho, Ho, Ho

Andrew

John

Gene

I've seen many reports of that service being helpful.  But ai have seen a few reports of them doing technical work that hasn't solved problems or made them worse.  They don't all appear to be as competent technically as they should be.  And, while I don't know specifically what was done in this case, this is another story that causes me to treat carefully advice that uninstalling and reinstalling a program be used as one of the first ways to solve a problem.  There are many programs that can be uninstalled and reinstalled without causing problems but doing this as a first option often results in nothing but wasted time.  Also, Ive seen reports on another NVDA list of uninstalling Office, or perhaps Word, I don't recall the specifics now, damaging or removing files that shouldn't be removed that NVDA needs to function.  If it were me, and a tech recommended uninstalling Word or Office, I would first contact a site like bleeping computer, explain the problem, and see what the geeks who offer help on the site recommend.

Also, I'd be curious to know if the Microsoft security advisor ran System Restore at any time.  After uninstalling Word, it may be necessary to reinstall it to get the program to work fully or at all, I don't know.  But aside from reinstalling office, in this case, since uninstalling and reinstalling didn't solve the new problems, it appears that uninstalling did some sort of damage that wasn't corrected.  The fastest and easiest way to solve the problems, while providing full operation of Office again might have been to reinstall Office, then the run System Restore to a point before Office was uninstalled.  I consider it bad procedure and advice to uninstall Office or Word just to try to solve a problem of an update not installing.

I'll add that I am not a tech.  These are my opinions but they are not authoritative, rather those of an interested layman with some knowledge.  But I'd be interested in comments from you, Carlos and/or  others with stories to tell or tech qualifications.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

Sugar, I find the same thing. I have not had any problems with them the few times that I've had to interact with them in regards to support.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

I'm saying that criticizing rehab for not helping a former client with a home computer that has no relation to work isn't reasonable.  I was responding to your comment specifically but I consider any such criticism to be not reasonable.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

Smile, Joseph

They are very helpful and will stay with me for as long as they can to correct the issue.

They are my “go to” peple now.

Oh and if they can’t find out what’s the issue they will get back to me when they do.

Sugar

night.

Sugar

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

I am only speaking out of experience.

Of dourse everyone’s pc is different and different issues my occur but in my case so far they have been a great help and support. I personally hve no complaints.

Smile

sugar

night.

Sugar

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

I strongly disagree.  A blindness rehab agency should go out of its way to help a blind computer user who requests technical assistance, even if he is not a client.  I wouldn’t expect their technology specialist to visit my home or spend a lot of time over the phone trying to resolve my problem.  But it is not unreasonable for them to at least recommend a reputable local service technician who is familiar with screen reader software and other issues relevant to blind computer users. After all, if you can’t get help from a blindness agency, where else can you turn?

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

Hello
I wasn't trying to ruffle any ones feathers so to speak
I have been threw voac rehab both in washington state, and in arizona and  have had bad

Experiences both times.

I realize that in some states the
 voac rehab is better I am just going off of my personal

Experiences with them.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

Andrew <edrew@...>

Hi Gene, what you said sounded very sensible. That’s why this list is my go to for answers and advice.  Andrew

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:31 PM

[...]

But my larger point is that at times, it is important not just to do what a service or tech says without more information.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot or perhaps most help given by Microsoft Accessibility is good or reasonable, but if one of their techs told me to remove Office or
Word, I would not do so without checking with others such as on this list and bleeping computer.  And if I used a specific screen-reader, I might try to get information about possible impact.  I've seen a number of problems people using NVDA havbe on the NVDA list if they remove word or office, I don't recall just which now.  But the uninstaller appears to remove files it shouldn't that NVDA needs for proper access.

I doubt the techs at the Microsoft accessibility service have that kind of detailed knowledge.  At least I wouldn't expect them to.